It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Unleashes Its First X-Class Monster Flare of 2015

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Sun Unleashes Its First X-Class Monster Flare of 2015

www.nbcnews.com...

The sun unleashed its first super-powerful flare of the year on Wednesday, and the intense eruption was aimed directly at Earth, space weather experts say.

The monster X-class solar flare, the strongest category of sun storms, originated from a sunspot known as Active Region 12297 and peaked at 12:22 p.m. ET. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured stunning video of the X2.2-class outburst as it erupted.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

So when is it getting here? And what part of the Earth will it hit?

F&S&

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured stunning video of the X2.2-class outburst as it erupted.

Very cool, thanks. That's what you call "self regulating."

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

The Solar Cycle 24 certainly has brought interresting events.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

So when is it getting here? And what part of the Earth will it hit?

Its plasmic cloud should reach here today or tomorrow. The radio blackout has already occured, though, since radio waves travel at the speed of light.

Its impact zone:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
My wife and I got a headache around the same time yesterday, me one hour earlier. We live in the Green band on that pretty map above. My mother in law told me the headaches were from the Solar Flare...and I'm thinking she is right!

www.techtimes.com...

edit on 13-3-2015 by noeltrotsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'm a world class on line golf player.This will definitely effect the stability of my game signal.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
It seems there are a bunch of minor CME's all coming in at sometime tonight, while this latest flare is not certain to have a following CME.
Funny noeltrotsky mentioning yesterday, around 8pm yesterday I had a sudden temperature rise as if a start of fever for no good reason that made me feel sick, and I thought I was in for a roooo session. It lasted around half an hour, then I was back to normal, and there was no sweating whatsoever in the aftermath...that was weird!

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Thanks.
....but crud. I'm in a low frequency zone, and it's the ULF's that affect heart and brain health. Glad to be warned though! ...Wish the Weather Network would run this kind of info along with UV warnings.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Haha me too! Felt like death for an hour or so, thought it was the flu, and it just went away. a reply to: smurfy

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Why do these guys waste so much time taking phortos of sun flares?

They should be putting more effort into curing 'grey hair' syndrome and 'baldness' IMO. And other illnesses!!

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It sure was a beautiful one! It's almost time for Easter, Ostara, and the Equinox,... 'tis the season of awakening and rebirth. Cheers!

(Image From NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory, March 11, 2015)

Sun Emits an X2.2 Flare

edit on 3/14/15 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

This one triggered a geomagnetic storm described as geo-effective - meaning it's rebounding all around the planet.

Powerful Solar Storm Rips into Earth's Magnetic Field
MAR 17, 2015

The most powerful solar storm of the current solar cycle is currently reverberating around the globe.

...Our planet has a global magnetic field called the magnetosphere, so should a CME hit the magnetosphere at just the right alignment, the CME’s magnetic field can reconnect, causing intense magnetic disruption, injecting the magnetosphere with huge quantities of plasma from the sun. In this situation, the CME is said to be “geoeffective” and the resulting geomagnetic storm can be extreme.

Today’s storm is so intense that it far overshadows anything that has come before it in our sun’s current solar cycle. ....

...The storm is still ongoing and space weather experts will be closely watching developments. Storms such as these can have global impacts — from overloading powergrids and causing communication outages to satellite damage. [ed. AND HEALTH!]

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
www.wkyc.com...

We had a nice view of the northern lights here in Northeast Ohio last night.

top topics

join