It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Bill to Make Filming Police Illegal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Being a natural born Texan, along with 300 years of Texans in my family, I would like to provide feedback regarding this.

Stupid. Absurdly stupid.

The Texas Congress is full of idiots with GED's (maybe), that pass laws like this all day long. If some of you don't think they will attempt to pass this, regardless of what the Supreme Court ruled, you are mistaken. And Texas, don't care what the Supreme Court says, just here are a few of our laws. These are real, seriously...

1. Vibrators are illegal - Section 43.21 (Recently overturned, but God that took forever -no pun intended).
2. The city of Mesquite deemed it illegal for children to have unusual haircuts. Pugh vs. Mequite School Board
3. In LeFors, it is illegal to swallow more than three gulps of beer while standing.
4. Sitting on a sidewalk - Sec. 24-17.
5. Sniffing Glue - Sec. 24-2.
6. Littering from an airplane (I can't make this stuff up folks) Sec. 20-9.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Texas wants to ensure that any embarrassing video of cops would be met with a prison sentence, virtually guaranteeing a police state.

I wonder how the producers of "Cops" and "Steven Seagal Lawman" and "Dog Bounty Hunter" etc etc etc would feel?

How about media trying to cover police action?

This bill is DOA.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I read about this and IMMEDIATELY wrote e-mails to this joker Villalba and my personal rep King.

"House Bill 2918

I was a Dallas Police Officer with an outstanding track record for over 6 years. DPD violated the law and I was left disabled as a result. I complained to Internal Affairs, Chief Brown, Assistant City Manager Gonzalez and even the FBI about DPD's numerous law and policy violations. NO ONE EVEN INVESTIGATED MY ALLEGATIONS, much less take any action.

If you think police are upstanding and to be blanketly trusted, you are sadly mistaken. As a patrol officer anyone could have filmed me at any time and I would not have had any problem with it whatsoever. Why? Because I operated within the law at all times. Every action, including use of force, was absolutely prudent and necessary to the situation. Your bill is unconstitutional. It's true that citizens should not interfere with police business, but there should be NO problem with filming police action at any time. This is a very critical safeguard for the public, and one of the very few tools at Average Joe Citizen's disposal.

I just wish there were a better system in place for keeping command staff in check.

Please respond to this message so that I know you read it.

Thank you."

Here's the response I got from King's office:

"Cathryn,
Thank you for contacting our office. Rep. King was a former police officer so I’m sure he understands your concerns. He appreciates your input and will keep that in mind as this bill makes its way through the House.

Judy Flanging
District Director
State Representative Phil King"

And I got a canned response from Villalba. "Thank you for your letter....blah blah blah"

With all the WAY more important issues they could be focusing on, they're wasting time/money/effort on this unconstitutional BS???? I would say I'm shocked and appalled....but I'm really not shocked.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Emerys

It's a Class B Misdemeanor to sell live armadillos.

Possession of a white cane by a non-sight impaired individual is a Class C Misdemeanor.

Now this one I agree with: Assembling carnival ride equipment while intoxicated. Same penalty as driving/boating/flying while intoxicated.

And I'm not sure if it's finally been changed, but back on '05 when I was in the academy sodomy was still technically illegal. Luckily our instructors told us "that's unconstitutional, ignore that one".

But hey- I'm covered by Medicare because I'm on disability, but it won't cover dependents. Texas declined Medicaid expansion, so they won't cover my 2 healthy children. So I'm supposed to pay $300 per month to insure them. On a fixed disability income. Yay priorities!

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

AWESOME!

Thanks for that letter and for your service!

While I'm at it, thanks for your service to all the "good" PD officers reading this.
You know who you are!

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Unfortunately the BAD LEOs had their way with me and I'm permanently disabled as a result. I can't even flip burgers to support me and my children. At least after 2 years of fighting I finally got disability to live on.

As I was going through this thread starring everyone I remembered that when I (a 5'1" 135lb female) was jumped and choked by a (6'2" 350lb) EMT while seeking treatment in an ER the lovely Plano Police Department REFUSED to even talk to the only witness because he was my friend. And conveniently LOST the security footage from the hospital. So even if you film wrongdoing it doesn't mean they'll look at it.

edit on 14-3-2015 by ladyvalkyrie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Only if police themselves have to record themselves at all times, and THEY will be prosecuted if for any reason the camera is ever caught not rolling during an incident...that would be the only way this could be justified.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Perfect

Texas will make a law that will get challenged at the supreme court level, and then we'll never have to worry about filming period.

And to boot they'll make a few people multimillionaires, because they don't understand basic constitutional rights. smh

edit on 14-3-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
I've got a better idea for a bill: let's make it a felony to interfere with or obstruct recordings of leos, to intimidate photographers or videographers recording public officials or LEOs, or confiscate, erase, damage or attempt to confiscate or erase recordings of police or any other public officials that specifically overrides qualified immunity.

Well said!

This is nothing more than police rejecting the concept of being held accountable for their actions.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
What kind of BS thread is this? It doesn't make it illegal to film police, it just sets a distance from "in action" police where people can't film. So big deal...stand 25 feet away and zoom in a little. If you even need to. 25 feet is barely across my living room.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie

Unfortunately the BAD LEOs had their way with me and I'm permanently disabled as a result. I can't even flip burgers to support me and my children. At least after 2 years of fighting I finally got disability to live on.

As I was going through this thread starring everyone I remembered that when I (a 5'1" 135lb female) was jumped and choked by a (6'2" 350lb) EMT while seeking treatment in an ER the lovely Plano Police Department REFUSED to even talk to the only witness because he was my friend. And conveniently LOST the security footage from the hospital. So even if you film wrongdoing it doesn't mean they'll look at it.

Yeah...OK. So why were the police called to do something with or about you? Why did an EMT jump you? I'm dying to hear the story.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
What kind of BS thread is this? It doesn't make it illegal to film police, it just sets a distance from "in action" police where people can't film.

However, I can be much closer. As long as I don't have a camera. Which sort of pisses all over the "safety of the cop" thing.

It's also worded in such a way that I can't record my own interaction with police. As was intended.

It's also so vague that I violate it if I take notes, or record the officer's badge number or whatnot. You'll note that Villalba hummed in "documenting" - it's not limited to use of a camera, by intent. You literally can't document anything about what an officer does, if you're within 25 feet. Which is sort of hard not to be, if you're the one the cops are interacting with.

Also, note how he doesn't care if you are a reporter for a station that has an FCC license. But not if, say, it's your mom who's in the car that's being tased or whatnot.

And who's to say what's 25 feet? They can easily lie each other up, and will.

It's moot anyway, it's in direct conflict with Glik. Who, by the way, was about 10 feet away.

What is important to point out here is that a person without a camera, can be within the distance constraints as described in the legislation and will not be in violation of any law. The camera, the record of police conduct is what is made illegal in this bill. To deny that it is not a direct attack on free speech is asinine.

To wit...

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Here you go:
ATS Thread

I WAS a cop. 6 years. Zero discipline. Promotion to Senior Corporal. Over 830 arrests, so don't be picturing a desk jockey. 23 commendations, 3 certificates of merit. The department I worked for violated state labor law by making me work too many hours when I was already injured, ill and loaded to the gills on prescription steroids. Steroids + sleep deprivation = mania. When I went to the ER for help (not knowing what was wrong) they assumed I was a drug addict and ignored me for over 2 hours. When I started yelling on the phone a very large EMT with a temper problem charged in, tackled me off a bed and put me in a choke hold.

I am now unable to do police work- or any other work for that matter due to debilitating PTSD and Anxiety Disorder. I am also diagnosed with Bipolar I because of the one manic episode, but I've been asymptomatic for about 2 years now.

No one investigated anything. No one contacted the only witness to the assault (on me)- my friend who was in the exam room with me. I complained to Internal Affairs, the chief of police, the City Manager's office, the FBI...no one investigated. They charged me with assault 6 months after the fact, waited until the statute of limitations was up (2 years) then dropped it.

I'm currently receiving Pension disability which means that multiple doctors and a majority board vote agree that I'm severely disabled and it's the department's fault.

There's no clever conspiracy with these people. They just use the media to discredit you then ignore you. They don't investigate your complaints. They don't return your phone calls. They don't return your e-mails. They don't look at any evidence or talk to any witness. They give you the run around until the statute of limitations is up, then throw up their hands "Ooops! The statute of limitations is up! Sorry, can't help you!"

I became a cop because I had been screwed by cops. Be the change you wish to see in the world, and all that. If you think the system is ever going to be there to help you in your time of need you are sadly mistaken.
edit on 14-3-2015 by ladyvalkyrie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Oh great, the POLICE GANG won't be able to be filmed.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I understand your concerns. I simply don't think this is for the suspect reasons some of you here seem to believe. I've been in trouble before...even bad trouble. I understand that the police are you're enemy at those moments. But in all honesty, I have NEVER had a bad experience with a police officer. Granted, I usually follow the law and if I'm in trouble, I don't mouth off or cause trouble.

From what I've seen, I tend to believe that people who simply hate the police are usually people who are breaking the laws. They seem to think it is the police's fault that they get arrested or stopped from doing something while in reality...it is them breaking the law.

In short...this doesn't affect me in any way. Never will. To those who are so concerned about not be allowed to record a cop within 25 feet...maybe you are so concerned because you are often doing something where the police are required to get involved. If so...that is a choice. Cut it out and stop worrying.
edit on 3/14/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Here you go:
ATS Thread

I WAS a cop. 6 years. Zero discipline. Promotion to Senior Corporal. Over 830 arrests, so don't be picturing a desk jockey. 23 commendations, 3 certificates of merit. The department I worked for violated state labor law by making me work too many hours when I was already injured, ill and loaded to the gills on prescription steroids. Steroids + sleep deprivation = mania. When I went to the ER for help (not knowing what was wrong) they assumed I was a drug addict and ignored me for over 2 hours. When I started yelling on the phone a very large EMT with a temper problem charged in, tackled me off a bed and put me in a choke hold.

I am now unable to do police work- or any other work for that matter due to debilitating PTSD and Anxiety Disorder. I am also diagnosed with Bipolar I because of the one manic episode, but I've been asymptomatic for about 2 years now.

No one investigated anything. No one contacted the only witness to the assault (on me)- my friend who was in the exam room with me. I complained to Internal Affairs, the chief of police, the City Manager's office, the FBI...no one investigated. They charged me with assault 6 months after the fact, waited until the statute of limitations was up (2 years) then dropped it.

I'm currently receiving Pension disability which means that multiple doctors and a majority board vote agree that I'm severely disabled and it's the department's fault.

There's no clever conspiracy with these people. They just use the media to discredit you then ignore you. They don't investigate your complaints. They don't return your phone calls. They don't return your e-mails. They don't look at any evidence or talk to any witness. They give you the run around until the statute of limitations is up, then throw up their hands "Ooops! The statute of limitations is up! Sorry, can't help you!"

I became a cop because I had been screwed by cops. Be the change you wish to see in the world, and all that. If you think the system is ever going to be there to help you in your time of need you are sadly mistaken.

That honestly sounds like a very sad and on-going story. I wish you the best. But you were taking illegal drugs, were by your own definition "manic" and likely not quite in your own mind. Maybe from the outside, you needed to be taken down by that EMT. I wasn't there and neither were you...really. A horrible situation that you were at least partially responsible for.

I don't mean to sound cold...I really do sympathize. But you are also responsible for what happened. For example...if you hadn't been taking illegal drugs, you wouldn't have gone to the hospital...etc. You started the series of events from what I understand.

Still sucks though.

PS: Oops...forgot something. Yes, you were asked to work long hours etc. You are an independant person...you can say no.
edit on 3/14/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

They could have filmed me any second I was working. I had nothing to hide. Everything I did was for good reason. Everything I did was prudent and lawful.

In fact my ONE complaint was for excessive force. I had no choice but to put a suspect on the ground after she refused multiple requests to leave (gotta love the Greyhound station) and then after I informed her she was under arrest she tried to resist. Sorry, sometimes you have no choice but to use force. The Greyhound manager, security guard, 3 other cops all testified to what happened and the complaint was 'not sustained'. Not to mention that this happened in broad daylight, downtown Dallas with several dozen witnesses- all of whom could have been filming me and nothing would have been done differently.

Congratulations on your rosy encounters with police. Not everyone is that fortunate.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

They could have filmed me any second I was working. I had nothing to hide. Everything I did was for good reason. Everything I did was prudent and lawful.

In fact my ONE complaint was for excessive force. I had no choice but to put a suspect on the ground after she refused multiple requests to leave (gotta love the Greyhound station) and then after I informed her she was under arrest she tried to resist. Sorry, sometimes you have no choice but to use force. The Greyhound manager, security guard, 3 other cops all testified to what happened and the complaint was 'not sustained'. Not to mention that this happened in broad daylight, downtown Dallas with several dozen witnesses- all of whom could have been filming me and nothing would have been done differently.

Congratulations on your rosy encounters with police. Not everyone is that fortunate.

Fair enough. And a question. If you had been filmed during that take-down by say a relative of that person...how do you think that video would have looked on the 11 o'clock news? Do you think it would have shown you as who you were, forced to take an action you never did before? Or do you think it would look like you were a bully, beating up on someone else? If you were an officer...and I have no reason to doubt that...you know what I mean.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Reread what she posted....very slowly.

She was not taking any illegal drugs, it was an assumption by the medial staff.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

But in all honesty, I have NEVER had a bad experience with a police officer. Granted, I usually follow the law and if I'm in trouble, I don't mouth off or cause trouble.

I have, though. More than once.

And I follow the law as well. Mostly. Hell, up until I was away too long I was the lead CSSO (that's the SCIF Nazi) at work, before that the lead FSO. It's not a huge place, and we all have to swap hats a lot. But the gubmint gave me the gold peanut of approval and slapped a badge in my hand, too. So it's not like I'm a meth salesman or sex offender.

But about half my relatives (including my late Dad) and not a few of my friends are LEOs of some stripe, and if you want a real adjustment of your expectations, hang around some cops when they let their hair down and listen to the tales.

Worse, go for some ride-alongs with different officers, you get the right one, sort of incite him a bit. Watch the result. It'll be enlightening.

Trust me, you don't have to be a pants-dragging miscreant to get their attention.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join