It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

O.F.I. destroying food due to lawsuit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Okay so maybe I'm just moody today.

Link to Story

Apparently, the company produced food products that were decided to have been too closely similar to Ina Garten's already established brand and therefore O.F.I. was sued by Ms. Garten and she won. Now they are ordered to DESTROY the food products (frozen) that were made. NOT given to the hungry or homeless or whatever but, DESTROYED! It just seems to me to be such a shame. You would think that someone in the food industry would realize the shamefulness in the waste of who knows how much food.
I, of course, could very well have a moot point as there may only have been 5 containers produced. I doubt it but, there's always that possibility...

Letter (statement) from Ina Garten's reps:

“Ina Garten announces a settlement of the lawsuit against O.F.I. Imports, Inc. and others over Barefoot Contessa's intellectual property rights. After Barefoot Contessa obtained a temporary restraining order, the parties reached a mutually agreeable settlement under which O.F.I. Imports, Inc. has now agreed to destroy all unauthorized Barefoot Contessa products and to ensure that future products sold under OFI's Contessa brand not use any Barefoot Contessa intellectual property.”

edit on 13-3-2015 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Money > all else.

Shameful, in my opinion.

Intellectual property indeed.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I can't understand how someone can patent a recipe.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Yup, if "they" can't have it, no one can! lame

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Locally, we have a homeless shelter. It is run by a gentleman who used to have addiction issues and was really going down a bad road and changed his path. Anyway, when a deer is hit by a car (and hopefully no major injuries to the driver or passengers), the police contact this guy (can't remember his name but, it's like Bubba or something, seriously) and he takes the deer and has it processed for the shelter.
We have several food banks, my company even has a food bank for employees or the community if the need arises.

I just find it difficult to believe that her PR people or herself did not see issue with WASTING food! In this day and age!

We have often gone grocery shopping for friends and family in need and I am just appalled at the lack of human compassion for those who may be suffering by those with so much they could give!
If it's going to be destroyed ANYWAY! What is the big deal!!!!!?

I've watched her on TV and she seemed to portray herself as a kind and generous person....or maybe that was MY perception...this is turning into my rant about her. That was not really my intentions...just the wastefulness all around.
edit on 13-3-2015 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
That makes me sick. I hate food going to waste. It's not like a homeless shelter or something could use it. There's no hunger or anything. Nope! Nope! Hell no! Let's waste it.

new topics

top topics

join