It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy Produces First F-35 Outside US

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I didnt see this coming:

Link

ROME — The first joint strike fighter assembled outside the US rolled off an assembly line in Italy on Thursday, Lockheed Martin said in a statement. The aircraft, designated AL-1, was the first of eight aircraft being assembled at the final assembly and check out (FACO) facility at Cameri Air Base in northern Italy. AL-1 is due to fly for the first time later this year, Lockheed Martin said.

Having worked with Italy building Eurofighter, they didnt think twice about "fettling" my Spec. Equipment to fit their dodgy wings.

Whats that Roberto, I have delivered 12 sets of identical parts to 3 partner nations and yet the ones in your wing have all had their flanges files off to fit and yet the ones in Germany and Spain fit just fine...

We also let the Italians fly development tests which wouldnt get off the ground with UK CAA.

Nice to see it rolling out though..

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

I never would have dreamed that the Italians would also steal our plans for the F-35. I hope they have better luck with it than they did with the little three-wheeled car, the Isetta. Or for that matter, better luck than we are having in making the F-35 a dream beyond the nightmare.
edit on 13-3-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
They should be red...., if you know what I mean.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

I never would have dreamed that the Italians would also steal our plans for the F-35. I hope they have better luck with it than they did with the little three-wheeled car, the Isetta. Or for that matter, better luck than we are having in making the F-35 a dream beyond the nightmare.

Italy did not steal anything as they were part of the F35 program.

So unfortunately is Israel and maybe soon Saudi Arabia

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Everyone know those Eye-talians are incapable of engineering or manufacturing anything of quality...

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Orwells Ghost

Just compare the actual roll-away cost (annual team budget over the number of cars built) of a F1 car to the F-35

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Japan is also building a FACO, and will be partnering with Australia for the heavy maintenance in the Pacific.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

........... partnering with Australia for the heavy maintenance in the Pacific.

Bwahahahahaha what an oxymoron that is..Australian aviation technology has been dying a very slow death over the last decade.Only the Mrh-90 and Tigre programs are ticking over the flatline.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Lockheed assistance until the facility is up and running and self sufficient.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger

........... partnering with Australia for the heavy maintenance in the Pacific.

Bwahahahahaha what an oxymoron that is..Australian aviation technology has been dying a very slow death over the last decade.Only the Mrh-90 and Tigre programs are ticking over the flatline.

Not all Australian Aviation Technology, heavy maintenance on P3, Hawk, Hornet and Super Hornet is as modern as most other nations.

Avionics wise there are some very capable engineering graduates in Melbourne where some very advanced UAV technology has been created. Corrosion and fatigue detection is leading edge input into the F35 where an electrical pulse can give you an instant scan of the airframe.

So they haven't a final assembly line since the Boeing one closed after the hornets AFAIK, but there hasn't been the numbers to support an indigenous capability, with F35 it will come!

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

The biggest challenge will be working with RAM.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

What ram? its baked into the paint. the days of applying ram coating after every flight are gone...

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

You dont know how right you are, well actually you probably do, and Boomer above.

Yes we couldnt get clearance for the paint which covered the sensors we made.
edit on 16 3 2015 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick

We also let the Italians fly development tests which wouldnt get off the ground with UK CAA.

What with it being a military aircraft and all, I don't think the CAA has any say in the matter!!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

Yes, but they still have to ensure the paint is applied correctly, it's baked in right and all that fun bit.
edit on 3/16/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Design - Yes. Manufacturing - Yes. Quality...well.....

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Is the current RAM coating as toxic as it was in the 80's/90's ? Just curious...

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Northernhollow

Our good old US of A-built F-35's seem pretty darn good at spontaneously combusting on their own, thank you very much...

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Pharyax

It's not AS bad. I still wouldn't want to be down wind of a burning aircraft.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Northernhollow

Design - Yes. Manufacturing - Yes. Quality...well.....

Quality control is the big issue. Maybe some of you know the issues we in The Netherlands had with Italian made high speed trains. They were 3 years late, none of them were build the same way and they were literary held together with tape. They were so badly build parts fell off during high speed runs and they were eventually returned to the factory and the contract canceled while the lawyers were left to sort out the legal stuff.
And its not the first time quality control has been an issue with their technical products. The Italians are great designers, but please leave the technical stuff and manufacturing to someone else...
Unfortunately the Dutch F-35's will also come from an Italian factory owned by the same parent company that build the trains. We just never learn in my country...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join