It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake IRS agents target more than 366,000 in huge tax scam !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It would seem if there is a way to scam people there are those willing to try.. I hope they catch them all and make their life miserable..... for there is nothing that can scare the crap out of people like the IRS even if they have never done anything wrong.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Fake IRS agents have targeted more than 366,000 people with harassing phone calls demanding payments and threatening jail in the largest scam of its kind in the history of the agency, a federal investigator said Thursday.

More than 3,000 people have fallen for the ruse since 2013, said Timothy Camus, a Treasury deputy inspector general for tax administration. They were conned out of a total of $15.5 million.

The scam has claimed victims in almost every state, Camus said. One unidentified victim lost more than $500,000.

newsletter.thaivisa.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Had a lot of fun with one of these idiots, before they hung up on me.
All you have to know is that the IRS never contacts people by phone. If it is serious, it comes registered mail. ( or a knock on the door.)
edit on 12-3-2015 by charlyv because: content

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
All you have to know is that the IRS never contacts people by phone. If it is serious, it comes registered mail. ( or a knock on the door.)

I agree and good for you !

Evidently though there were 366,000 that were duped and scammed due to their ignorance.. What a racket !

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

They called me...

They had accents from India, and were very professional sounding...

The red flags were flying,... hanged up on 'em...

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I have not gotten one of those calls yet...and I am aware the IRS wouldn't call, so it would be fun to mess with the scam artist if they do call!....... I usually get the scam phone call about people breaking into your neighborhood lately and the. FBI wants to put in an alarm system in your home...so give them your social, bank account and first born , and your safe! Anyone else get that one?
edit on 13-3-2015 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Good info.

I dread going back to the States. I'm audited every time.

Not the worst experience, but I'll readily admit it gives me the willies. Maybe I've just been lucky not to get an @-hole in the past. Knocks wood.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
You have to ask yourself why these peeps were so easy to dupe? Had inside info on those who were questionable? If one of them lost $500K then it stands to reason they went after high ranking folks that had money. Not the everyday joe and mo.
On top of that, were these peeps aware they were on the fringe to start with.

If that not enough, were they that much of a moron that they cower in fear over a place that can only bring charges against them and not arrest them. The police must carry out the warrants and seizures if done. Phone calls? Just tell them to take an aeronautical fornication with a rotating pastry

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Thank you for sharing that. One more thing to watch out for. I rarely answer phone numbers that I don't recognize, and if it's important enough they can leave a message!

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

originally posted by: charlyv

I agree and good for you !

Evidently though there were 366,000 that were duped and scammed due to their ignorance.. What a racket !

I doubt all 366,000 were "ignorant" but, instead, wanted to rectify the situation immediately, real or not.

Unless you have dealt with a tax "problem" then you have no clue how truly awful it is. I have dealt with a state tax issue for over three years and it seems it will never stop. Never...

And all I did was accidentally fail to file state taxes, through no fault of my own (it was a software malfunction). You'd think I was burying millions in my back yard or something.

Wouldn't be surprised if the IRS pulled a double whammy on any of the people who reported the scam and investigated them to see if they do owe taxes or would have some other reason to fake pay IRS fines.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

I have gotten one of those calls...and I have known ahead of time that it is a scam...I just laugh and hang up on them!

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   

People tell me I am wrong but, I believe that many folks have just decided not to participate for the time being. I believe we will continue to be quoted heavily massaged and/or redacted statistics which feebly attempt to paint a rosy picture.

Don't work... don't pay taxes. It is the only safe way to avoid the tyranny of the IRS. It also makes voting with your feet a much simpler maneuver.

It isn't logical but, since when are people logical in the face of an horrific state controlled soul destroying bureaucratic apparatus.

Starve the thing until we can eliminate the IRS entirely. This seems like a great back up explanation for not filing.

Perhaps they are trained by the very best of our professional criminals. Who here thinks these scammers aren't getting their data from official repositories?

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The real scam is the actual IRS duping everyone else out of 30 some odd percent...

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I was contacted by them as well. They told me there was a problem with my 2008-13 returns and I owed the IRS $6,000 and they were bringing a lawsuit against me.
They told me it was my final notice and if I didn't pay while on the phone with them they would: revoke my license, put out a warrent for my arrest, seize any property I had, send police to my house to arrest me, and I that I would serve time. I told them I wanted to take it to court and he hung up on me. ETA- before he hung up he told me if I lost the case I would have to pay court fees ad penalties of $70,000+.
I'm sure theres plenty of numbers they call from but, here are the numbers they called me from.
1 (209) 676-8870- Atwater California
(972) 453-9824- Texas

edit on 3 13 2015 by MDpvc because: Eta

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
When I get calls from people demanding payment, I tell them to stop by the house, because I pay my bills with cash.

Looking forward to the day someone actually shows up.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I always use Turbo-Tax to do my returns. I pay a nominal extra fee for Turbo-Tax to deal with the IRS directly in case I get audited. So if anyone were to call me, I'd just tell them to deal with my Turbo-Tax guy. That should stop them pretty quick.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I always use Turbo-Tax to do my returns. I pay a nominal extra fee for Turbo-Tax to deal with the IRS directly in case I get audited. So if anyone were to call me, I'd just tell them to deal with my Turbo-Tax guy. That should stop them pretty quick.

I forgot to mention that too. I move around a lot, so I always have muti-state returns and other annoyances so I go to H&R Block and let them deal with it. They say if there's ever an error or you get audited they foot the bill, even the fines, penalties, all that jazz.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

366,000 people? That's nothing!

The real IRS scams EVERYONE with a paycheck via their tax schemes.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
My mother got the call and laughed them off but I've had more than a few clients contact me saying they've been called. Fortunately, they all know to pass the IRS (or the state) off to me to handle it. It's sad that anyone would fall for this although a fool and his money....

Garcia says he spent five hours driving to various stores around Charlotte, depositing $500 each time into a PayPal account set up by the woman on the phone. He ended up losing about $4,000.

That's right, this guy, a form NFL player who now hosts a radio show, didn't find it odd that he had to deposit money, in increments of $500, to a paypal account, to settle his IRS debt.

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that the IRS uses paypal and cannot handle transactions of more than $500 at a clip, shouldn't be allowed to manage their own finances in the first place.

Source for the quote:

www.cnn.com...

top topics

join