It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More giant craters spotted in Russia's far north

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The title of the article says "more giant craters in Russia's far north..." however I don't know if this is new to ATS. According to the article, there are now 7 confirmed sinkhholes in the Yamalo-Nenetsky region in north-western Siberia-also known as "the End of the World."

"We have just learnt that in Yakutia, new information has emerged about a giant crater one kilometre (0.6 miles) in diameter," the deputy director of the Oil and Gas Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Vasily Bogoyavlensky, told AFP.

He said this brought to seven the number of reported pits.

"Footage allows us to identify minimum seven craters, but in fact there are plenty more," he said.

Kind of ironic that these mysterious holes are opening up in a place known as "the End of the World" becasue it just may be the first major sign of the "End of the World." According to the article, Russian scientists are attributing the probable cause for the holes to Methane gas; a by-product of a warming environment. Apparently, the holes are caused by the melting of underground ice in the permafrost, which has possibly been sped up by rising temperatures due to global warming. What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I believe Siberia is called the end of the world because of how large and barren the landscape is.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Yeah, those are gigantic.

Down in Florida, they are caused by acidic rain and ground water flowing into and through the lime stone bedrock. It dissolves the limestone and washes it away, leaving giant caverns below that collapse in on themselves, hence the giant hole.

Gravity caves in the roof of the caverns when it gets close enough to the surface, or the ceiling is no longer strong enough to support the ground above.

Sinkholes can also be caused by excess well pumping from underground water tables. The hollow chambers then collapse from lack of pressure in them.

There has to be something leaving or causing the caverns for the ground to cave in. Ice doesn't sound very plausible to me, but I'm not certain there isn't solid ice under there. I would think there would be frozen wet soil before giant pure ice sheets, but may be wrong.

The same thing happens when you cut off a big tree from its base without removing the rootball. The roots die, decompose, turn to dirt, and the area they used to occupy collapses. You are left with a crater in the ground where the tree was a few years later.
Cool thread topic.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I'm no expert but that does not look like a sinkhole to me. Look at all the debris around the hole. If the ground is sinking then why would there be an accumulation of dirt around the perimeter?

Maybe someone with geological expertise can explain.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: mikelkhall

Nice eye..I have to agree.
Sink holes collapse in. Something either exploded out or DeWalt's got some new drill bits I haven't heard of yet.

The perfect circular cut is very peculiar as well. Since when do things explode out in a perfect circle like that?

Must be "global warming"- lmfao

edit on 3 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19110627]lostbook"

According to the article, Russian scientists are attributing the probable cause for the holes to Methane gas; a by-product of a warming environment. Apparently, the holes are caused by the melting of underground ice in the permafrost, which has possibly been sped up by rising temperatures due to global warming. What says ATS? rth-163604385.html

I don't think it was caused by Methane gas, but that is what came out of the holes, once the underground ice melted. I think this may be an error in the first part of the article.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The general consensus nowadays are methane gas pockets exploding upwards, hence the debris.

In fact one ATS member here has a very very dedicated thread, and even book, about the subject. Rezlooper ,I think, is the members name.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The underground overlords are making a quick exit...

The you-know-what is about to hit the fan and they are like: SEE YA!!!

LOL!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Down in Florida, they are caused by acidic rain and ground water flowing into and through the lime stone bedrock. It dissolves the limestone and washes it away, leaving giant caverns below that collapse in on themselves, hence the giant hole.

Gravity caves in the roof of the caverns when it gets close enough to the surface, or the ceiling is no longer strong enough to support the ground above.

Sinkholes can also be caused by excess well pumping from underground water tables. The hollow chambers then collapse from lack of pressure in them.

There has to be something leaving or causing the caverns for the ground to cave in. Ice doesn't sound very plausible to me, but I'm not certain there isn't solid ice under there. I would think there would be frozen wet soil before giant pure ice sheets, but may be wrong.

The same thing happens when you cut off a big tree from its base without removing the rootball. The roots die, decompose, turn to dirt, and the area they used to occupy collapses. You are left with a crater in the ground where the tree was a few years later.
Cool thread topic.

"Frozen Wet Soil?" I think you just described Permafrost my friend. Permafrost as I understand is nothing more than frozen soil and as it melts, methane gas is released, and that IS the culprit of these sinkholes.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I wonder what caused all the nearly perfect circular indentations on the inside circumference of the hole's wall? I looks like someone threw a basketball ball sized object at the walls repeatedly.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin
The general consensus nowadays are methane gas pockets exploding upwards, hence the debris.

In fact one ATS member here has a very very dedicated thread, and even book, about the subject. Rezlooper ,I think, is the members name.

Correct! In fact, I almost dedicated this thread to Rezlooper for his dedication and hard work on this subject.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Cool thread topic.

"Frozen Wet Soil?" I think you just described Permafrost my friend. Permafrost as I understand is nothing more than frozen soil and as it melts, methane gas is released, and that IS the culprit of these sinkholes.

Ahh man, why can't it be thawed out prehistoric ants recolonizing the planet?!? Would sell way more popcorn, plain old earth farts are boring.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Cool thread topic.

No clarification needed on what permafrost is.

My question being, would frozen soil melting displace enough volume to produce a sinkhole this size?
-Vs the volume actual ice would take up. Looking at this as an actual sinkhole.

After looking at your pics, I would say its not a sinkhole at all, in the common definition of the word, because of the outward debris field mentioned above. More like a hole blown out of the earth by the gas.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: mikelkhall

I'd say you are correct in not a sink hole. I figure it like this if I took a balloon filled it with air tied a string to it and buried it tamped the dirt slightly then pulled the string up and the balloon out I'd get a similar effect as what these holes look like with dirt around the the edge the rest falls back into the hole.. At least that's what I think would happen

Amazing holes no matter what caused them.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Can you imagine being in the general area when that thing blew?..... And would that register on a Richter scale ?

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: jackjoedoe
I wonder what caused all the nearly perfect circular indentations on the inside circumference of the hole's wall? I looks like someone threw a basketball ball sized object at the walls repeatedly.

I heard a scientist talking about the ice rising and falling over thousands of years eventually eroding the holes into circles. As they rise above the surface , they push ground up debris over the edge, and that is why there are huge debris piles surrounding the circles.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
For methane to explode like this, wouldn't you need an ignition source.

I don't see simple pressure doing this. This is very sudden, like an explosion.

A vessel under intense pressure may explode, but not in that manner. It would not be circular and nice and neat.

Lightning?

P

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikelkhall
I'm no expert but that does not look like a sinkhole to me. Look at all the debris around the hole. If the ground is sinking then why would there be an accumulation of dirt around the perimeter?

Maybe someone with geological expertise can explain.

Your simple observation is correct, rather than the ground suddenly falling away from the surface to go down to bottom out at a significant distance, the debris around the rim suggests that the material may have been extracted.

Impossible? Yes, by about any stretch of the imagination, but some scientifically verified data exists to suggest that those events are exactly the opposite of what we naturally assume.

Several years ago in the state of Washington there was a mysterious occurrence that happened and still defies any normal explanation. It was widely reported in the news at the time. A large chunk of the earth several feet in length, width and several inches of depth was lifted as one piece from its place of origin and swung over several feet to be deposited a short distance from the remaining hole. In the course of its movement from one area to another, some debris had crumbled off to indicate that the slab had passed over that area while the area was untouched otherwise. It was a classic "cookie cutter" type of situation. The event happened in a remote area and there was no reason for or sign of heavy equipment being in the area.

The situation defied conventional explanations. The seemingly more likely one from the "experts" was that a mini-quake happened in that exact spot, the portion of earth had leaped into the air and horizontally shifted in such a way that the entire, intact mass was thrown to the side several feet away.

Given the mysterious, unconventional evidence that can not be denied or completely overlooked, I suspect that forces of physics were applied that we humans cannot grasp at this time in our awareness. What "forces" could that be if they certainly were not done by human convention? Knowing first hand that ET/UFOs intervention exists in other ways on our planet, I must conclude that they caused the event in Washington and that they may be the cause for the shafts in Russia.

I use the term "shafts" because of what I've seen of the images from Russia, they are exactly that, very symmetrical shaped in their diameter and the straight-down sides of the shafts. They look nothing like natural "sinks" they are claimed to be and reported in the media. They don't come close in comparison.

I have no idea why ETs may be creating massive "bore holes" into the earth, but we humans do it all of the time, typically for study if not for more practical reasons.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: kevinp2300
a reply to: lostbook

I believe Siberia is called the end of the world because of how large and barren the landscape is.

Just pointing out the irony of it all.

new topics

top topics

join