It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

17 year old girl left partially paralyzed after eating Pot laced brownie at school

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think what would make the most sense is that she had a paranoid high, which probably led to a panic attack which raised her blood pressure. If she had any preexisting illness but didn't know about it, the high blood pressure could have set it off. As far as the convulsing, i have panic disorder and when i have panic attacks, my whole body will convulse during the panic attack and even for awhile afterwards and i can't eat or drink and usually can't walk for a little bit only because my legs feel like jello. Maybe she had a really bad panic attack and if it lasted long enough could have led to a stroke like others have said.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

But the teenager started to feel sick soon after and went to the school nurse with a racing heart rate and high blood pressure.

Which is exactly the opposite of pot's effect on the body. Lot's of red flags in that article, but that one poked me in the eye...

She smoked it. She got hospitalized for an unrelated condition, then lied after they screened her for drugs/toxins so she wouldn't get in trouble.

Either that or she's the first person in several thousand years of pot-history to ever have this kind of reaction...
edit on 3/13/2015 by CretumOrbis because: fixed quote

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Reduced IQ? Are you serious? Some may suffer from SHORT TERM memory loss, but it has no effect on long term memory... Nor does it "induce" schizophrenia. There is ZERO actual evidence of this

that there is a false statement
it's fast becoming a fact, peer reviewed "Science" says so, and remember here at ATS Science is King.
here is a article about one recent study. there are more that draw similar conclusions that are older. i tried to find this one in the journal mentioned in the article, my search skills must be lacking today or it's not online yet.

The hippocampus is important to long-term memory (also known as episodic memory), which is the ability to remember autobiographical or life events.
The brain abnormalities and memory problems were observed during the individuals' early twenties, two years after they stopped smoking marijuana.
Young adults who abused cannabis as teens performed about 18 percent worse on long-term memory tests than young adults who never abused cannabis.
Teen cannabis users have poor long-term memory in adulthood

In the current study, Dr. Meier and colleagues used data from the Dunedin Longitudinal Study, which was conducted in Dunedin, New Zealand. This prospective study included a birth cohort of 1037 individuals born in 1972 and 1973, who were followed from birth and were seen every 2 years to age 38.
"This study has collected prospective life histories on its participants and had 95% retention," Dr. Meier said.
Participants' cannabis use was ascertained in interviews at ages 18, 21, 26, 32, and 38 years. IQ testing was done at age 8, 11, and 13 years, before the start of cannabis use, and again at age 38, after a pattern of persistent cannabis use had developed. One third of the cohort had never used cannabis.
After controlling for alcohol or drug dependence, socioeconomic status, and years of education, the researchers found that persistent cannabis use was associated with IQ decline when it was begun during the teenage years but not when begun in the adult years, after the age of 18.
Between the ages of 8 and 38 years, individuals who began using cannabis in adolescence and continued to use it for years thereafter lost an average of 8 IQ points. In contrast, IQ among individuals who never used cannabis actually rose slightly, Dr. Meier said. Cessation of cannabis did not restore IQ among teen-onset cannabis users, she added.
Cannabis Use in Teens Linked to Irreparable Drop in IQ

and as far schizophrenia goes, i found these papers that are free.

Conclusion
Epidemiological evidence suggests that cannabis use is a risk factor for schizophrenia, while cannabis use in individuals with a predisposition for schizophrenia results in an exacerbation of symptoms and worsening of the schizophrenic prognosis. The neurodevelopmental characteristic of adolescence probably creates a more vulnerable circumstance for cannabis to produce psychotic-like symptoms and possibly cause schizophrenia.

In the past few years there has been an increase in evidence of the important role of the endocannabinoid system in moderating adolescent neurodevelopmental processes such as synaptic pruning. We can speculate that adolescent exposure to cannabinoids might tamper with the normal developmental neuronal processes occurring in the still developing adolescent brain, thus leading to a predisposition to develop schizophrenia, possibly involving GABAergic and dopaminergic dysfunction. As with adults, there are definitely some adolescents that are more susceptible to the pro-psychotic effects of cannabis, possibly because of a genetic vulnerability such as a polymorphism in the COMT gene.

Longitudinal studies that evaluate adolescents prior to initiation of regular cannabis use and compare brain function indicators as well as the development of schizophrenia are required. Also, preclinical studies to further investigate the role of the endocannabinoid system in neurodevelopment, as well as molecular and neurochemical effects of adolescent cannabinoid exposure would greatly enhance the knowledge on the propensity for adolescent use of cannabis to induce schizophrenia.
Adolescent cannabis use and psychosis: epidemiology and neurodevelopmental models

What has research over the past two decades revealed about the adverse health effects of recreational cannabis use?

Reaching out towards cannabis: approach-bias in heavy cannabis users predicts changes in cannabis use

LONGITUDINAL STUDIES

The strongest evidence that cannabis use is a contributory cause of schizophrenia comes from longitudinal studies of large representative samples of the population who have been followed over time to see if cannabis users are at higher risk of developing schizophrenia. The earliest such study was a 15-year prospective investigation of cannabis use and schizophrenia in 50,465 Swedish conscripts. The study found that those who had tried cannabis by age 18 were 2.4 times more likely to be diagnosed with schizophrenia than those who had not 16 and the risk of this diagnosis increased with the frequency of cannabis use. The risks were substantially reduced but still significant after statistical adjustment for variables that were related to the risk of developing schizophrenia.
Cannabis use and the risk of developing a psychotic disorder

of course you have your detractors. most if not all of the detractors, just go after the methods, and other variables that the study may have missed, and never show any test to the contrary. such as this below where the researcher argued against the New Zealand study.

Røgeberg is careful to note that his reinterpretation of the data doesn’t entirely discredit the original study, but he does write that its “methodology is flawed and the causal inference drawn from the results premature.”
Long-Term Marijuana Use Could Have Zero Effect on IQ Read more: www.smithsonianmag.com...

edit on 13-3-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: HumansEh

I just had to mention that pot DID kill and maim... in the 80's when the U.S. govt sprayed Mexican pot crops with 'Paraquat' to mess up anyone who came in contact with it... much like they did in the other, older prohibition days when they mixed in wood alcohol (and other poisons) to blind and kill evil users then.

I had some experience with headache, sore throat and rashes, while other unlucky kids had far worse.

It is astounding to me why people can't just ignore or politely express their displeasure with others' non violent choices, like drug use. Why can't they attempt to coerce people into accepting their own worldview through education and argument, like civilized people, rather than using militarized law enforcement and poisoning? But I'm likely just mentally divergent due to my own lifelong personal chemistry experiments.

Perhaps that is one of the feared results of such experimentation.... perhaps it helps to remove one from the common delusion that is society and enables an alternate view to emerge... and that is inconvenient to the masters.

Perhaps...

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I call BS. You truely have to be innocent and madly ignorant to not taste pot in a brownie. The girl probably has a condition that was made worse and now they're trying to milk some cash from it.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CretumOrbis

Which is exactly the opposite of pot's effect on the body. Lot's of red flags in that article, but that one poked me in the eye...

Actually quite a few drugs are able to have the opposite effect in some people.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Marijuana has never paralysed anyone... Ever!

Marijuana never will paralyse anyone... Ever!

Here in Washington where pot is now legal there is an issue with the amount of THC that a brownie can hold that is basically at a untested level when people use oils as the THC base. There is cases of what is being determine as over dose with some serious side effects that I do not think a person smoking can achieve.

I didn't explain it quite well earlier. I have experienced the extreme side effects.

At about 15 My friends and I got into a bowl of green butter and we were rolling it into little nuggets and swallowing them like pills. One of my friends even microwaved a shot of it into liquid and drank it down.

In entirety we each consumed about an entire pan of brownies worth, potent AK grade stuff too....

Still to this day it is the most messed up I have ever been, worse than a blackout drunkenness.

My legs didn't work, they were acting like rubber, I had the worst spins of my life, my hearing was all messed up, and for awhile I couldn't fall asleep because everything was too intense.

I thought I was gonna die, still I woke up feeling a bit groggy but otherwise perfectly fine.

I guess my point is that edibles can knock you on your butt, but I'm living evidence that you cannot OD because I basically tried to.

So I imagine now that it's legal in a few states and edibles of all sorts will be more abundant, more and more people are going to have some hardcore edible expieriences.

edit on 14-3-2015 by GoShredAK because: Editing

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Actually quite a few drugs are able to have the opposite effect in some people.

I'm well aware of that because I'm one of those people - Caffeine wakes me up in the morning, but makes me tired if I take it later in the day. That's fairly common with stimulants. People have been using pot for thousands of years though, and nothing like that has ever been documented. I'm not saying it's impossible, just extremely unlikely. If it was actually pot that did that to her it would be the first documented case in history. So even if it's true, that makes it a 1 in [however many people have smoked pot throughout all of recorded history] fluke.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This just in...
"Pot Brownies observed taking newborns out of their incubators and placed on the cold concrete floor and left to die"

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

That's what i refer to as "greening out". It's happened to me 2 times. Got a headache, spins and then puked. In both cases it lasted like ten mins, and both times i think it was cause i hadn't eaten anything prior to imbibing.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join