It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: diggindirt
Why didn't the reporter talk to her doctors? All we have here is the Mom's accusations---not a word from her actual docs as far as I can tell.
Medical tests showed that the only substance in her system at the time was marijuana, WPIX reported. Doctors are still baffled as to whether Danieel had an allergic reaction to the drug, or if it was something else that caused the partial paralysis.
According to Dr. Richard Francis, a psychiatrist at NYU Medical, it is also possibly the brownie Danieel ate was laced with synthetic pot, PCP or something else.
“When they adjust something like a brownie, they don’t know for sure what’s in it,” he told WPIX.
As for not "finding" any other substance?----most likely they simply ran a standard tox screen looking for the most commonly abused drugs.
I have no idea what actually caused this poor child to be paralyzed but I'd bet the farm that it wasn't pot. If the brownie was the culprit, I'd bet the "pot" wasn't marijuana at all but something synthetic. Seizures from those fake drugs are common. Also, the fact that she didn't realize it was laced could be due to the synthetic pot not having the actual smell or taste of the real thing. But I really, really have a hard time believing she would buy a brownie and pay what they bring these days and not know that it wasn't from Betty Crocker.
On the other hand, allergy to chocolate does cause seizures and like any other substance allergy, can develop overnight.
If I were that mother I wouldn't be accepting the notion that my daughter's condition was brought on by pot. It just defies all logic. I would be after them to actually find the cause.
But there are other aspects of the story too that defy logic---like some have mentioned---that huge bandage on her head! The probes spoken of in an earlier post don't require a huge bandage wrapped around the head. The probe is smaller than a large gauge needle and the wound can be covered with a band-aid.
On another issue---I'm far more curious to know why the insurance company is denying the claim. Is there a clause in modern insurance contracts that allows them to deny claims if illegal substances are involved?
It just seems that this whole story would rest better on a slice of ham....
originally posted by: Anyafaj
A New York mother claims her daughter was left partially paralyzed by a marijuana-infused brownie she bought at her high school.
Danieel Buchanan, 17, was sold the snack by a classmate at Benjamin Banneker High School in Brooklyn on February 27, thinking its ingredients were innocent.
But the teenager started to feel sick soon after and went to the school nurse with a racing heart rate and high blood pressure.
The school then called her mother Allison at 11am to say they were taking her daughter to the emergency room at Brooklyn Hospital.
After an initial check-up she was released into her parents' care - but her condition started to dramatically deteriorate.
Her mother told PIX11 she couldn't walk by herself, could barely eat and could only handle a few sips of tea at a time.
At 3am the next morning, she took the youngster to Beth Israel in Manhattan, but was quickly transferred to nearby Mount Sinai.
Her mother says when Danieel arrived she began convulsing and has been partially-paralyzed ever since.
'She’s not able to walk. She can’t stand. She can’t sit up,' Mrs Buchanan told the station. 'They have never seen anything like this before.'
Blood tests revealed she had marijuana in her system - but no other drugs were present.
Mrs Buchanan insists she has never been involved in drugs or alcohol before and doesn't have any underlying health problems.
'She didn't know it had weed in there, she thought it was just a regular brownie,' Mrs Buchanan said.
Doctors told her she needed rehabilitative therapy, but her insurance company , Empire Blue Cross, Blue shield, has denied her the coverage. The Daily Mail Online has contacted them for comment.
The 18-year-old student who sold her the brownie has been suspended and the NYPD are investigating the incident.
Very interesting. I wonder if it's one of those things where it's a chemical reaction with her body and her body rejected it, so to speak? It could even be a bad batch, if you will. Apparently it was ONLY pot, nothing else chemically, but that doesn't mean HER body isn't rejecting the pot chemical or reacting badly to it. I'd be curious if her body will ever gain the ability to walk or eat normally again. Very interesting case either way.
originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: Anyafaj
If there's any truth to this story it may be the first of its kind.
originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
CoupleMany lies in that article... Not enough patience to quote them all and lose my rag over it!
Edit: I'm inclined to believe she suffered a stroke.
TruthOnPot.com – Unlike with many other illicit drugs, marijuana users are not at risk of death from overdose.
Numerous studies have come to this conclusion after investigating the toxicity of marijuana and its active components – chemicals known as cannabinoids.
Studies have mostly focused on the toxicity profile of the cannabinoid tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) because of its potent psychological effects. What they’ve found is that although THC is a psychoactive substance and is responsible for the “high” that marijuana users experience, it is also remarkably non-toxic.