It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

17 year old girl left partially paralyzed after eating Pot laced brownie at school

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
How exactly did they determine it was a "pot laced" brownie?

There is not one recorded incidence of "pot" causing paralysis. Now granted, your body does develop a completely different chemical (11-hydroxy-thc) when you ingest marijuana. So it is possible the girl just had a bad reaction. People often take "edibles" thinking its the same as smoking. It most definitely is NOT.

I wonder if the family is looking for money. Maybe I am cruel for saying that, but the title immediately made me think the SCHOOL sold her the brownie. I'm speculating of course, and I hope the girl gets better. But I somehow doubt that a simple pot brownie could cause someone to become paralyzed and have convulsions.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yeah I did wonder that buddy, but I'd have expected the article to mention something serious like that.

Especially if this is anti-pot propaganda, they missed a golden opportunity with that one.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Well the stroke could have been triggered by high blood pressure.

Pot could have caused a blood pressure spike. Its possible.

But there was probably in fact definitely other underlying issues.

At the end of the day pots still a heck of a lot safer than Alcohol or even caffeine.

Fear of how high she got could have triggered high blood pressure and potentially stroke... (I know this from my own run in with another unmentionable substance, where exceptional high blood pressure landed me in hospital. I didn''t have a stroke but it the doctors told me the next day that it had been a worry)

Or there is always someone allergic to something...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Well perhaps...

Although, having a probe inserted when one is suffering paralysis and possible seizure related symptoms is pretty standard as far as I can tell, and an increase in intracranial pressure can be a symptom of many things, so saying that the subject had a probe inserted in her head, does not do much to reinforce the subject.

Besides, I get the feeling that this story was written for a target audience, the majority of which would only be confused by the terminology involved with any level of explanation of that scenario, and furthermore, would only serve to illuminate the facts for those fortunate enough to understand the meaning of the terms being used.

Besides, the picture carries a far more terrifying weight to it, than does a dry description of the facts!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Anyafaj

I have never heard of anything like this happening PURELY because a brownie containing pot has been consumed. This individual must have had some sort of underlying, not to mention EXCEPTIONALLY rare condition, or has an exceptionally rare expression of a condition, rare or otherwise.

I am going to say this just the once. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a person to die, or nearly die, or even come down with something as serious as this, as a result of consuming pot, by any method, unless they have a serious underlying condition.

Also, I have to say, if the story is accurate with regard to the idea that this young lady had no idea there was pot in the brownie when she ate it, then a) the person who sold it to her should be arrested and thrown in jail for misleading her, and b) the afflicted young lady must have had the most dysfunctional olfactory process in the entire history of human nostril related misadventures.

I'll admit I've never partaken of the MJ brownie variety, but I have heard it has an odor. Apparently the kid who sold it to her HAS been arrested, though, I do wonder just how "gullible" she was, and is claiming to be.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Great points to be fair...

& that last one especially.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: tastyrawmeat
a reply to: Rexamus

it wasnt the mariguanja it was the demons. Yessir they did come down from the archangel Jabriel and did infect my blessed angel with the aids that came from the devil brownie. And they did play their trumpets oh lord, and the lord appeared and he said "I will destroy your crack hobbit!" and in return you must give me your first born. Ahmen. Hallelujah. And lo and behold their was paralyses, and the demon pot man did appear and he stroked the elbow of all in his prescence, while dressed in a clown costume. He ran away on a tricycle.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
I also think she has an unknown (to her) condition. The pot made her blood pressure go up so what if she unknowingly has a disorder such as sickle cell disease and the affects of the pot exacerbated it?
Sickle cell can cause strokes which in return causes paralysis. The convulsions are also a sign of a stroke.

Of course we will never hear a follow up on this story. They would rather leave it with people thinking that weed did this.

This seems to make the most sense here. I would never have thought of sickle cell anemia, but actually THAT is a very good thought and idea.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerekJR321
How exactly did they determine it was a "pot laced" brownie?

There is not one recorded incidence of "pot" causing paralysis. Now granted, your body does develop a completely different chemical (11-hydroxy-thc) when you ingest marijuana. So it is possible the girl just had a bad reaction. People often take "edibles" thinking its the same as smoking. It most definitely is NOT.

I wonder if the family is looking for money. Maybe I am cruel for saying that, but the title immediately made me think the SCHOOL sold her the brownie. I'm speculating of course, and I hope the girl gets better. But I somehow doubt that a simple pot brownie could cause someone to become paralyzed and have convulsions.

No, I would have thought that as well, but no it was a classmate who sold it to her, and he's been arrested already.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'm going to go with a stroke caused by high blood pressure. The high blood pressure was caused by an acute panic attack.
So indirectly the brownie caused her to have a panic attack, so not a physical reaction to the pot itself but the feelings it can induce was the cause imo.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Why would one -buy- a brownie at school from another kid? If she paid for it, if she paid more than a $0.50, if she bought food from another child she didn't know, how is this anything but her fault?

Kids are not gonna pay for food from another kid at school. Defies logic.

Even so, other ingredients. Peanuts/walnuts? Maybe a nut allergy?

If it was a regular brownie, would the papers report 'Brownies cause paralysis'? No, they search for the actual cause.

Pfft. Sorry if she's really injured, but who do you blame?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: IvanAstikov

Marijuana has never paralysed anyone... Ever!

I don't know about that. That Nepalese stuff I had one time certainly didn't leave me very active afterwards.

also my own daughter a smoker for years, got sick as a dog from a pot brownie, one person told me the THC level in some pot is much higher than it used to be

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 073131p://bThursday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
NVM deleted post as I just realized I totally violated T&C's
edit on 3/12/2015 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Colorado Lawsuit Claims Marijuana Edibles Caused People to 'Overdose'
news.vice.com...

Seven people who filed a lawsuit in a Denver court allege they fell ill after eating THC-laced treats manufactured by Beyond Broadway, a company that markets weed sweets under the Full Melt brand and runs a collection of LivWell medical marijuana dispensaries in Colorado, where recreational pot became legal last year.

The plaintiffs claim they were told the chocolates didn't contain THC when they ate them at the Pot Pavilion at the Denver County Fair in August. A few hours later, though, they were in hospitals complaining about rapid heart rates, passing out, tunnel vision, and other scary symptoms.

Jordan Coombs's experience was particularly nasty.

"During the drive away from the Denver County Fair, Coombs became so sick that he projectile vomited uncontrollably in his car," the lawsuit claims. "The physicians at the emergency room diagnosed Coombs as overdosing on THC."

At least 56 people called Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center to complain about marijuana-related scares last year. Children's Hospital Colorado admitted at least 14 children younger than 10 for eating marijuana-infused foods last year. Seven of those kids went to the hospital's intensive care unit.

the body absorbs THC more slowly through the gut

Today's super-strong strains of marijuana make things worse, Levounis added. In the 1990s, it was rare to see a patient incapacitated by pot. Now it's increasingly routine.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Why didn't the reporter talk to her doctors? All we have here is the Mom's accusations---not a word from her actual docs as far as I can tell.
As for not "finding" any other substance?----most likely they simply ran a standard tox screen looking for the most commonly abused drugs.
I have no idea what actually caused this poor child to be paralyzed but I'd bet the farm that it wasn't pot. If the brownie was the culprit, I'd bet the "pot" wasn't marijuana at all but something synthetic. Seizures from those fake drugs are common. Also, the fact that she didn't realize it was laced could be due to the synthetic pot not having the actual smell or taste of the real thing. But I really, really have a hard time believing she would buy a brownie and pay what they bring these days and not know that it wasn't from Betty Crocker.
On the other hand, allergy to chocolate does cause seizures and like any other substance allergy, can develop overnight.
If I were that mother I wouldn't be accepting the notion that my daughter's condition was brought on by pot. It just defies all logic. I would be after them to actually find the cause.
But there are other aspects of the story too that defy logic---like some have mentioned---that huge bandage on her head! The probes spoken of in an earlier post don't require a huge bandage wrapped around the head. The probe is smaller than a large gauge needle and the wound can be covered with a band-aid.

On another issue---I'm far more curious to know why the insurance company is denying the claim. Is there a clause in modern insurance contracts that allows them to deny claims if illegal substances are involved?

It just seems that this whole story would rest better on a slice of ham....

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

This is what pot can do to some people. I've experienced it myself. My legs have convulsed on it before. Had a horrible reaction to a brownie once. Extreme anxiety. Excessive vomiting. It happens some times. You can talk all day about how it is harmless, but it affects people differently. I think it gave this girl a stroke. Your blood pressure can go through the roof whether you are "freaking out" or not.

edit on 3/12/2015 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/12/2015 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I too am wondering whether there is any proof the brownies were anything more than brownies. It is just as possible that the girl was using the substance prior to the day the medical issues occurred. Maybe she will not admit to it. It is just a possibility, one among many. I am also wondering why the student selling the brownies was suspended. If they did not prove the brownies contained illegal substances, can they just suspend a student? Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. I also have a very hard time believing that such a substance could cause issues of this kind. If so, it would have to be a condition so rare as to have never occurred before, at least not to my knowledge. The medical literature I've read suggests to me that marijuana is one of the safest medicinal substances we have. Much safer than many pharmaceuticals being pushed on the population. It would be like the hypocrites to push for keeping marijuana illegal based on ONE reaction, while there are hundreds, if not thousands, of medications that are far, far worse in terms of side-effects and the toll on human lives. Even medications that are for common conditions. But that is assuming that the reaction in question WAS caused by a brownie in the first place, and assuming that the brownie was laced with marijuana.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Meanwhile, in other news, over ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND (100,000+) people have died so far this year from tobacco.
Why isn't that in the news, that those 100,000 people died? Why aren't we seeing their names and faces in the news?

Anyway... I especially don't believe eating it could do this to her. Not without her knowing what she was doing. Unless you are accustomed to the taste, a pot brownie, especially a strong one, is not going to taste good. That being said, I have heard once that the only way to overdose cannibus is by eating it, because you can consume it faster than it can take effect, but even then, the effects of overdose don't include paralyzation... So, I don't know, maybe it was laced with extacy or something. That has been known to have bad effects on certain people.

Or maybe she took ex, but told her mom she took something lesser, like a pot brownie, so her mom would not be as angry and would not think it was all her fault, since everyone knows what X does to your brain, but pot is generally promoted as a safe drug and is even legal in some states... I could see a kid lying to their parent about a stupid decision they made, in order to lessen the flack received, and increase the mercy received.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Where the hell can I get one of those brownies!! It'll be ok....I'll only eat half. That must be the shat that killed Elvis. Pot did'nt do what this op says. If so it's the 1st documented case since the invention of dirt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join