It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar powered window socket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This a great little idea. I can imagine a solar powered phone charger would be useful too.

s the world becomes greener and more energy efficient, many people are trying to come up with ways that are more environmentally friendly while also saving us money. Designers Kyuho Song & Boa Oh have come up with a way to power your electrical items from anywhere in the world as long as there is enough sun light. We already have huge solar panels but what makes this device particularly great is its portability! They have named it 'plug it on the window' which is pretty much self explanatory. In simple terms, you place the solar powered socket on a window so that solar energy goes through a built in converter which then turns it into electrical energy.The idea is just a concept at the moment but we hope to see it on the shelves in the future!

www.awesomeinventions.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Solar powered device chargers are already a staple in the bag of any outdoorsman. The problem is with efficiency, and it's almost a guarantee any device this small will be useless short term, maybe a plug and forget sort of thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I think that as wearable technology improves, we will see gadget charging clothes, which collect energy from multiple channels throughout the day. Solar panels built into coats, and trousers which turn walking motions into electrical energy, which will charge our gadgets by induction, as long as they remain within a pocket.

This window socket idea however, is really fantastic, and I for one will be very interested to see how they develop the idea!

I also heard about a technology being developed, to create a material for making windows from, or covering them in, which would turn any window into a solar panel. Therefore, skyscrapers could one day be built with, or retrofitted with these things, and run themselves completely on daylight. I would also love to see a day when solar panels can draw energy from sunlight, even through VERY cloudy conditions.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Personally any idea, that moves the world away from fossil fuels, is a good idea. There are no bad ideas in the green world if they actually do make energy, IMO

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I own a 14w Solar panel kit (5v USB) It charges fast on a nice day, but your lucky to get anything on a bad day (in the uk, so thats most days)

They are really cheap online from china, can pick them up for 30GPB.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

That window panel sounds interesting I comes up trumps.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Glz00

Can I ask what you charge with it, is it a phone?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I also heard about a technology being developed, to create a material for making windows from, or covering them in, which would turn any window into a solar panel. Therefore, skyscrapers could one day be built with, or retrofitted with these things, and run themselves completely on daylight. I would also love to see a day when solar panels can draw energy from sunlight, even through VERY cloudy conditions.

They are getting better all the time, Since i got mine last year the eff is already up 5/7% on new panels.
Not long now and you will be able to use one back home all year round

I get some v on even windy nasty winter days, but not enough for anything usefull.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Can charge anything a usb can, the most efficient way is to charge a lithium battery by day, then at night you can get 3/4x full phone charges (samsung s3) Or two tablet charges.

Can get them to run laptops for around 100GBP but they are much bigger, mine is no bigger than a good book when its folded.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I first heard the possibility of this technology coming about, when I saw this video a couple of years ago...

The fellow explaining it all waffles on about climate change for a bit, but things start getting relevant to this threads subject matter at right around the 3:26 mark. I highly recommend you give the video a watch!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I would love a solar window charger thingy! that is so cool

Oh and Truebrit, i love the idea of the pants chargers- i bet the adult toy manufacturers are already in talks concerning something fun like that.

Didnt a phone come out recently g4 or something that uses induction charging?

and there is a phone by nokia they are working on that charges by ambient noise.

edit on 30-4-2015 by Thisisfun2015 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2015 by Thisisfun2015 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join