It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008: Did Obama Violate the Logan Act During His Iraq Visit?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Boadicea

I agree with you to an extent. The language of the Logan Act is very imprecise and if the goal is to have something that is actually enforceable, it needs to be replaced. There won't be any prosecution and everyone (who lives in reality) on both sides of the aisle knows it. Questions about Logan Act violations are used as a form of partisan political saber rattling every few years.

In my opinion, then Senator Obama's visit was in bad form, however, I think there are some distinctions to be made:

1. The Iraqi Foreign Minister was not a representative of a government with which we had an adversarial relationship.
2. As a Senator and presidential candidate it was abundantly clear that he was expressing an opinion and not pretending to possess an authority he did not or making what amounted to threats.

The second distinction I believe is particularly important. In short, it really comes down to an issue of the severity of the transgression. Was Obama wrong in 2007? Perhaps but what the GOP has been playing at recently is exponentially more corrosive to the President's ability to conduct foreign affairs. So much so that I have a hard time even comparing the two.

How about this then?

www.powerlineblog.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

Big damage done by Obama !!!

No wonder Democrats are blaming everybody else now.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

Wendy Morigi DENIED that it ever happened. So somebody in this situation if full of something and it sure isn't the truth. You might want to read your own article over again.

Exaggerate much? She didn't deny the meeting... she didn't deny the subject of discussion in the meeting... and she stated that timing was a factor --

In fact, Obama had told the Iraqis that they should not rush through a “Strategic Framework Agreement” governing the future of US forces until after President George W. Bush leaves office, she said.

Yeah, someone is definitely full of something.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

Thanks for the link! The rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper...

I wish I'd seen this before and been able to post it in the OP.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join