It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Tehran" Tom Cotton was Bribed almost a Million Bucks to Send the Iran Letter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This entire episode attracts further criticism of the GOP on a daily basis. What a mistake on the part of the 47 (47!) who didn't have sense enough not to sign the letter. Even Iran's answer to it made them look foolish. Oh well, the world turns, and the GOP tries to turn it the other way using a pitchfork, a lego dumptruck, and a pile of things left over from when Karl Rove passed by on his way to the next failed election.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Sorry, I couldnt get over the childish name calling. Thats about as helpful as the ominous music in youtube vids.

Please explain how this one guy getting ad money swayed the other 40 something legislatures....

And this is a terrible attempt at partisan trolling. I highly doubt that this Cotton jackwagon was the only person to receive money. That happens on both sides of the aisle.

Anyway, you guys have fun with your red vs blue drivel.
edit on 13-3-2015 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Tom Cotton picked apart by Army general over ‘mutinous’ Iran letter

The open letter to the leaders of the Islamic Republic of Iran signed by 47 senators and instigated by Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) was a stunning breach of protocol. One so outrageous that my former colleagues at the New York Daily News dubbed the signers “traitors .” While it is indeed a slap in the face of President Obama and an affront to the presidency, I’m not sure I would go that far, especially since Cotton is an Army veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. So, I turned to retired Major Gen. Paul D. Eaton for perspective. He wouldn’t say Cotton and Co. were “traitors,” either. He had a better word.

“I would use the word mutinous,” said Eaton, whose long career includes training Iraqi forces from 2003 to 2004. He is now a senior adviser to VoteVets.org. “I do not believe these senators were trying to sell out America. I do believe they defied the chain of command in what could be construed as an illegal act.” Eaton certainly had stern words for Cotton.

“What Senator Cotton did is a gross breach of discipline, and especially as a veteran of the Army, he should know better,” Eaton told me. “I have no issue with Senator Cotton, or others, voicing their opinion in opposition to any deal to halt Iran’s nuclear progress. Speaking out on these issues is clearly part of his job. But to directly engage a foreign entity, in this way, undermining the strategy and work of our diplomats and our Commander in Chief, strains the very discipline and structure that our foreign relations depend on, to succeed.” The consequences of Cotton’s missive were plainly apparent to Eaton. “The breach of discipline is extremely dangerous, because undermining our diplomatic efforts, at this moment, brings us another step closer to a very costly and perilous war with Iran,” he said.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Helious

They were acting in the official capacity of government. There is no clause in the Constitution nor the Logan Act that states that United States Senators must make a motion or a vote before penning a letter. If I missed anything there, please enlighten me to my error.

Then let me enlighten you.

The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal law that forbids unauthorized citizens from negotiating with foreign governments having a dispute with the U.S. It was intended to prevent the undermining of the government's position.[2] The Act was passed following George Logan's unauthorized negotiations with France in 1798, and was signed into law by President John Adams on January 30, 1799. The Act was last amended in 1994, and violation of the Logan Act is a felony.

Neither the Senate the House or the President gave them the authorization to write this letter to Iran and the sole purpose of this letter was to undermine the negotiations with Iran. That is a direct violation of the Logan act. Also this is not a America/ Iran treaty there are a total of five nations negotiating with Iran so chances are this will be nothing more than a Executive agreement and if it is then the Senate will not even be involved in this.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
Why would another country be contributing money for an election in the US unless they were getting something out of it.

Right. Just ask Hillary, Obama ect.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Yeah...and Obama is sending money to Israel "groups" to help them beat Netanyahu in the election. Just another day. And besides...I support what the Republicans did with that letter. I think they were even a bit too nice. I would have listed all of Obama's lies but then the letter would be a screen play. And the shipping cost? Fifty pounds overnight to Tehran? I ain't payin for that!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

They were acting in the official capacity of government. There is no clause in the Constitution nor the Logan Act that states that United States Senators must make a motion or a vote before penning a letter. If I missed anything there, please enlighten me to my error.

The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal law that forbids unauthorized citizens from negotiating with foreign governments having a dispute with the U.S. It was intended to prevent the undermining of the government's position.[2] The Act was passed following George Logan's unauthorized negotiations with France in 1798, and was signed into law by President John Adams on January 30, 1799. The Act was last amended in 1994, and violation of the Logan Act is a felony.

Neither the Senate the House or the President gave them the authorization to write this letter to Iran and the sole purpose of this letter was to undermine the negotiations with Iran. That is a direct violation of the Logan act. Also this is not a America/ Iran treaty there are a total of five nations negotiating with Iran so chances are this will be nothing more than a Executive agreement and if it is then the Senate will not even be involved in this.

To the best of my knowledge, and correct me if I'm missing something...no one needs ANYONE'S permission to send a letter to Iran and OUR representatives (yes...I voted for some of them) are doing what I want done. They answer to me...the voter, NOT the president. They have MY permission to do anything (legal) they can to stop, hinder or impeach this sad excuse for a President. And since it caused such a stink from the Obama-supporters...I'm smiling, happy and would throw a party if not for having to get up early for work tomorrow. Undermine away my dear Republicans (you know who you are), we will get there eventually.

PS: Oh...almost forgot. Considering how Obama wipes his ass with our Constitution, ignores laws, etc...the Logan Act is fine to ignore. Republicans 1, Obama 100,000 on breaking the rules. I can live with that

edit on 3/14/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
And on the Logan Act...the key word there is "negotiating". They didn't negotiate anything, just called a liar a liar and pointed out to the country he is lying to now, that any deal is BS.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
JUST FOLLOW THE MONEY!

Netanyahu complains about outside money fighting his re-election in Israel but here is PROOF Nutty Netanyahu is funding neocons in the Senate!

Cotton should be investigated, but too much of the Congress is under the neocon sway.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Buster, I have read the Logan Act, the entire thing, more than once. I could write out the Constitution and the Bill of Rights on cocktail napkins from memory alone. That said, they didn't need authorization to do what they did, not from the White House, not by a vote in the HOR or Senate. There is absolutely nothing that says they do.

I have said before and I will say it again, it was an asinine and poorly thought out idea and I don't agree with it at all but legally speaking they did not commit treason and in my opinion and I think any reasonable and objectionable opinion did not violate the Logan Act.

If you think they did, I am afraid we will just have to agree to disagree and that's just fine. I appreciate your input and arguments anyway.
edit on 15-3-2015 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Hi Blackmarketeer was gonrna make a thread about this fear mongering add staring Senators Lindsey Gramm and ex senator now arms lobbyist and special guest Bibi Nathanyau but your thread will do just fine.

Former senators urge Iran vote with explosive ad

A bipartisan trio of former senators has banded together to run an aggressive TV ad urging Congress to pass a bill that would allow lawmakers to review any deal that international negotiators reach with Iran to prevent it from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

Former Sens. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.), Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), and Norm Coleman (R-Minn.) have created a new 501(c)(4) called the American Security Initiative, which last week began running an ad showing a white van, ostensibly packed with a nuclear bomb, driving towards New York.

The driver of the van is listening to the radio, where a soundbite from Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) is heard saying, "We got a North Korea in the making, one day you're going to wake up with an Iranian nuclear weapon."

As the van continues driving into New York, the radio also plays a snippet of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's speech to Congress a week ago, in which he says, "Just imagine the horrific results if the Islamic extremists who rule Iran get their hands on nuclear weapons."

A voiceover is heard, warning the public to "Tell Washington, no Iran nuclear deal without congressional approval, before it's too late."

thehill.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join