It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Jesus have a brother?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

The Bible doesn't say Jesus was born of a virgin

It doesn't?

Luke 1:34–38 NIV
34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?

35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. 37 For no word from God will ever fail.”

38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.

Matthew 1:18-24 NIV
18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. 19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.

20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 "The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).

24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

and his mother will remain celibate for life lol..

I might have misread your post. So if I did I apologize.

I also don't think the Bible says anything to indicate she was to remain a virgin. In fact I think those verses strongly suggested her and Joseph 'got it on' after the birth of Jesus.

Still I am curious if there are any verses demonstrating Jesus was the eldest sibling?
edit on 13-3-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Definitely misread. I was simply refuting the idea that Mary had to stay a virgin after Christ. The verse that indicates he's the eldest would be some of the ones you quoted in which it s clear Jesus was born before she had sex. You know of some way she could have had kids before that moment.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb
Such would be the implication.

I am just wondering if there are additional verses that explicitly state anything about him being the eldest.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Nothing that I can find quickly. I don't think its likely though. The whole virgin thing would have probably overshadowed the he's the eldest son thing.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

'Still I am curious if there are any verses demonstrating Jesus was the eldest sibling' Quote Lucid Lunacy

Your post opened with this...
Luke 1:34-38 NIV
34 "How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?"...

If (according to the little golden book) Mary WAS a virgin before Jesus...it stands to reason, Jesus must be the eldest of her children...

If he wasn't the eldest of her children, she could not be a virgin...unless ALL her children before Jesus were immaculately concieved...and therefore (if true) could not ask the question "How will this be, since I am a virgin"...and then Jesus is not the only immaculately concieved child of this mother?!

Å99

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: akushla99

There's no reason to believe that Mary was Josephs' first wife.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Sigh.

Such would be the implication. **this was me agreeing those verses would imply Jesus as the eldest sibling**

I am just wondering if there are additional verses that explicitly state anything about him being the eldest. **this is me asking for any other verses**

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

There's no reason to believe that Mary was Josephs' first wife.

...but the issue is surely not Jo...it's Mary...the ship carrying the golden child...

Å99

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
Sigh.

Such would be the implication. **this was me agreeing those verses would imply Jesus as the eldest sibling**

I am just wondering if there are additional verses that explicitly state anything about him being the eldest. **this is me asking for any other verses**

Oh sigh...either what is divinely inspired is false, or it is factual...

If You subscribe to it being false, all questions are moot...

If You subscribe to it being factul (and divinely inspired)...there is no question he was the eldest...

Å99

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I don't believe scripture is divinely inspired. I am not questioning how it reads. Even if I were to take it as a fictional book I just acknowledged the implication is that he'd be the eldest. I was merely asking if there were additional verses in the NT referring to him being the eldest. My curiosity was mostly from a historical perspective of which I don't have interest in discussing with you.

all questions are moot

Thanks for informing me.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

...worth expanding on...

I ask the question, Is there any reference to Mary being Joes second/third wife?
If not, it would seem a fairly important detail to leave out/omit/edit...but then, it is 'divinely inspired writing', is it not?

Å99

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
I don't believe scripture is divinely inspired. I am not questioning how it reads. Even if I were to take it as a fictional book I just acknowledged the implication is that he'd be the eldest. I was merely asking if there were additional verses in the NT referring to him being the eldest. My curiosity was mostly from a historical perspective of which I don't have interest in discussing with you.

all questions are moot

Thanks for informing me.

If You are 'not questioning how it reads', it may be natural for You to treat it as an historical document...and it says what it says...

Å99

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

The Bible hardly gives us any information of Joseph. All we know is that he was a Jewish and a carpenter. He seems to be unimportant to the story. So would any children he might bring with him in tow.

edit on 13-3-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

The Bible hardly gives us any information of Joseph. All we know is that he was a Jewish and a carpenter.

Then conjecture on this point is irrelevant...or, it complicates the 'narrative'...

Å99

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Speculating on whether or not Jesus had siblings through his mother Mary is conjecture as well. Catholics insist that Mary remained a perpetual virgin. The only other explanation of brothers and sisters of Jesus is that they were Joseph's kids from a previous marriage. Women died in childbirth all the time, and men needed "new" wives.

edit on 13-3-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

who cares about catholics.....

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Thats because the Bible is about Jesus not us.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Speculating on whether or not Jesus had siblings through his mother Mary is conjecture as well. Catholics insist that Mary remained a perpetual virgin. The only other explanation of brothers and sisters of Jesus is that they were Joseph's kids from a previous marriage. Women died in childbirth all the time, and men needed "new" wives.

It would seem the point...Catholics can 'insist' anything they like...and conjecture, on either points really brings into question the veracity/accuracy, and indeed 'narrative development and execution'...of a collected piece of writings that, in more instances, than not, doesn't make very much procedural sense, especially (if as other believers 'insist') it is divinely inspired...

Å99

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb

Thats because the Bible is about Jesus not us.

The Bible is ALL ABOUT US!

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

If You are 'not questioning how it reads', it may be natural for You to treat it as an historical document...and it says what it says...

Treating it as a historical document entails being mindful to the different authors of the different parts of the New Testament. What is and isn't said throughout it is telling of what said author believed / received from oral tradition or texts at their disposal. This would likely devolve into something only loosely on topic so I wish to leave it there.

The simple answer to the OP is that it's Biblical that Jesus had a brother.
edit on 14-3-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join