It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir Terry Pratchett Has Died After Long Battle with Alzheimer's

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Too bad he didn't know about coconut oil. It is sad to see such a great mind lost.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Rest in peace indeed!

First Spock, and now this. This is a bad year for heros.

I can't take much more...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

I know right? Who's next, Mark Hamill?
edit on 12-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Not unexpected but so very sad.

i have about 40 of his works and love them all
such a loss of talent far to soon.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Or Christopher Lloyd?

The possibilities are both numerous, and unpleasant to contemplate. The one thing that the deaths of Mr Nimoy, and Mr Pratchett serve to do, is unite people. Even when people are united in grief, they are united still, and though we would all wish that it was under better circumstances, at least there will be that unity for a time, until the pettiness and vapidity of the human condition overwhelms society once more.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

He was determined to discover the underlying logic behind the universe.
Which was going to be hard, because there wasn't one. ~ Mort

Farewell, Sir Terry. You were a true genius.
edit on 12-3-2015 by Badgered1 because: 'Cos I'm crap at coding.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I just changed my avatar... If anyone wants a Terry Prachett themed avi, I might could help...

peace,
AB

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Fine man! At 66 and with a vast amount of sales, I'm not going to feel sad about his death. He had a great run and a worthwhile life that had a positive effect on thousands of us.

If steps to Heaven are made from laughs and smiles, he'll be somewhere good. Of course, he'd also baulk at that sentiment as a reflective atheist. Then again he sometimes shared his thoughts on the big questions and sounded more like an objective agnostic.

I'm certainly not a man of faith, but as I was rushing down the stairs one day... it was very strange. I suddenly knew that everything was okay, that what I was doing was right, and I didn't know why. It was a thought that all the right things are happening in the circumstances, and I thought, 'Well that's all right then.' I don't actually believe in anyone who could have put that in my head - unless it was my dad, and he's been dead a few years.

It is just possible that once you have got past all the gods that we have created with big beards and many human traits, just beyond all that, on the other side of physics, they just may be the ordered structure from which everything flows.That is both a kind of philosophy and totally useless - it doesn't take you anywhere. But it fills a hole.
Link

Man, I can remember reading Colour of Magic in my teens and falling in love with Discworld, Rincewind, Pratchett and Josh Kirby all at once!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

One of the things I loved about the Discworld series is that everyone's religion was equally correct and not even DEATH knew what came afterwards. It was hinted at sometimes that you went where you believed you would go, making each person's afterlife unique, but never really confirmed. That is something VERY unique about fantasy series where spirituality is usually all but confirmed as a default.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I loved it all. His penetrating satire was absolute and unflinching and ever so dead-on.
His endings always were perfect, too, because at the end of a slap-dash mad-cap far-flung and wild, often painful adventure, there was a moment of peace or beauty or harmony that touched my soul.

Anyway.

"I DID INDEED CHASE THEM MIGHTILY, ONCE," he said, BUT AT LAST THE THOUGHT CAME TO ME THAT SOONER OR LATER ALL MEN MUST DIE. EVERYTHING DIES IN THE END. I CAN BE ROBBED BUT NEVER DENIED, I TOLD MYSELF. WHY WORRY?

"I too cannot be cheated," snapped Fate.

SO I HAVE HEARD, said Death, still grinning."

(The Color of Magic)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Rest in Peace Wise Soul.

I am so sad.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Oh yes, his satire was what got me hooked to begin with. My first encounter with a discworld book was around Christmas time one year. I was looking for a Christmas themed book in the SciFi/Fantasy section of the book store I was in. I saw Hogfather with the picture of DEATH in a Santa suit and riding a sleigh on the cover, bought it and haven't looked back since.

Some of my favorites were "Going Postal", "Soul Music", "Making Money", "Small Gods", and "The Last Continent". I really enjoyed each ones satirical breakdown and modern parallels (Post office and stamp collectors, rock and roll, treasury department, Christianity and the Inquisition, and Australia). Of the myriad groups of protagonists he used, I enjoyed just about all the books featuring Rincewind and/or the Wizard Academy. Those books, by far, were probably some of the funniest ones with the goofiest group of characters.

No worries.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It warms my heart to see all the Discworld friends that experienced the same world(s) as I did. And get it.

It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living. - Terry Pratchett

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Tell me you read Nation? Why does it feel that I am the only one in the world that read Nation?
It may be a book marketed for teens, but the message, wow - I doubt the average teenager would understand the message until they're much older...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

No I haven't, but you just made me add it to my Amazon wish list. I read one or two of the Tiffany Aching Discworld books and they are young adult novels. So I'm game.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Spot on mate and his conception of DEATH should be enough to leave a lasting mark on anyone who (fingers crossed) still reads books.

You point out how intelligent and nuanced his stories were and that's what made them so popular with science geeks and fantasy nerds. I don't use those terms as pejoratives either - his market ran the range from kids to high-end scientists. No matter how smart the reader, his stories had a consistency to keep them happy.

Satirical SoB, literary spoofer and all round pleasant author.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Him and Douglas Adams remain my two all time favorite Science Fiction/comedy writers. Naturally, Pratchett cited Adams as an influence on his work.

Also, Pratchett co-writing with Neil Gaiman to write Good Omens is by far one of the FUNNIEST accounts of the Christian Apocalypse I've ever read (plus DEATH appears in it). I think I've read Good Omens like three or four times.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Sad day for readers. I fell in love with his work after reading Good Omens. Then met the Hogfather and Death. There was a movie made of Hogfather that we enjoyed a great deal. I will have to start reading all the Discworld books now.

Save some time for his Johnny Maxwell books, they were three of my kids' favorites.

Pratchett's still out there down another trouser's leg of time.

eta: You can get Hogfather on Netflix, and it's not a bad adaptation.

edit on 12-3-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'll never forget soul music...
Read the book
Listened to the audio book
Watched the cartoon

RIP Good sir the world just got a little dimmer

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

No it really wasn't. I read the book after watching it. Apparently he bought the rights for several books back because he didn't like how the movies were shaping up.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join