It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's at the bottom of the deepest hole on Earth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I realize this topic was discussed a few years back on ATS this is new info on the subject.
From IFL Science

Remove this rusted metal cap and the world’s deepest hole tunnels miles into the Earth. However, we know more about certain distant galaxies than we do about what lies miles beneath our very own feet. For that reason, Soviet scientists in the 1970s decided to probe deeper than humanity has ever done before. For the next 24 years, they drilled on and off into the Earth’s crust.
The result was the Kola Superdeep Borehole and a drill-depth of more than 7.5 miles (12 kilometers). To put that in perspective, Kola descends further than the deepest point of the ocean, which lies at nearly 6.8 miles (11 kilometers). The borehole is located on the Kola Peninsula of Russia.

So did we learn anything from these decades of labor? Thankfully, yes! Scientists found microscopic fossils of single-celled organisms at 4.3 miles (7 kilometers) down. And at nearly the same depth, they discovered water. They also found that the temperature at the bottom of the hole reached a blistering 356°F (180°C). Too hot to continue, drilling officially halted in 1994.

However, what’s even more impressive is that scientists estimate that the distance to the center of the Earth is nearly 4,000 miles (6,400 kilometers). Turns out, 7.5 miles barely scratches the surface.

Watch a video about the Kola Superdeep Borehole presented by Hank Green from SciShow below:

So far no Lizard people or second sun found....lol sorry
edit on 3/12/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/12/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

That`s a big technological achievement, that hasn`t been easy to go to that depth for sure.

Impressive, and cool to see they ended up with some good new insights.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Just single celled fossils and water?
No hell?

www.amightywind.com...

(Just kidding)

edit on 12-3-2015 by Abednego because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
That's a deep hole. Jimmy Hoffa could be down there for all we know.

At the risk of sounding stupid, the guy said at the end of the video that we had never dug down this deep before then continued to say how deep each section of earth is and how far it is to the core. I'm curious as to how we know that when this is the furthest we've ever been down before?? How can we have measured each section accurately or even know there aren't more or less? Is it just approximated from the measurements we have of the surface here?

It's early and maybe something isn't clicking in my brain yet making me miss something obvious, but I just can't grasp how we know without actually going deeper...

Not necessarily posted to you OP. Just thoughts on it. It's still pretty neat and I would like to see someone pick this up in the future when we have invented something that will make it feasible to go further.
edit on 3/12/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Great question! I would think they took the Earth's circumference and 1/2'd it! not really sure..lol
www.astronomyforbeginners.com... this link may help your query.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
It's an educated guess, at best.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Soviet Business Model
Phase 1: Dig deepest hole possible
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya
Soviet Business Model

Phase 4: Vodka

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Phase 5: World domination

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore
That's also my steps 1 through 3

It's just mind boggling to think how much money must have been spent on this, and how they were able to bring samples up to the surface, how they could have had power cables that long. I can just imagine the scientist looking down the hole and his glasses fall off, "SUKA!"

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

It's like they said (in heavy Russian accent) "hey the Americans beat us to the moon, lets just dig really deep hole"

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

originally posted by: Ridhya
Soviet Business Model

Phase 4: Vodka

Im pretty sure it came in the order:

Drink vodka first, then think next 3 steps are a good idea....

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I would have said the Misses wallet, as it never gets filled enough.

But the thread makes sense

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
That's a deep hole. Jimmy Hoffa could be down there for all we know.

At the risk of sounding stupid, the guy said at the end of the video that we had never dug down this deep before then continued to say how deep each section of earth is and how far it is to the core. I'm curious as to how we know that when this is the furthest we've ever been down before?? How can we have measured each section accurately or even know there aren't more or less? Is it just approximated from the measurements we have of the surface here?

It's early and maybe something isn't clicking in my brain yet making me miss something obvious, but I just can't grasp how we know without actually going deeper...

Not necessarily posted to you OP. Just thoughts on it. It's still pretty neat and I would like to see someone pick this up in the future when we have invented something that will make it feasible to go further.

The same as we use sound to image thw human body we can use it to image the earths interior. When a quake occurs we can use that vibrations to make images as it travels to receivers in diffrent locations it's called seismic tomography.
en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
They learned a lot from drilling that hole. They learned that it cost a lot of money and that it really was not worth drilling.

They learned that the rocks seem to make water under pressure, that could be something that explains a little of how come ice is on other planets and moons. Now, someone will try to break that record, wasting a lot of money doing it.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Talking about pentrating your mother, Earth mother.

People see this as an achievement? It's a freaking hole. As if we haven't done enough damage on the surface, let's stick our nose deeper and see what else we can ruin on our fragile planet.

Not everything has to be understood, the universe works perfectly on its own with balance harmony.

Humans are the only species (besides locusts) who choose NOT to be in balance, and live in harmony with each other, as well as our Earth Mother. .

Humans, need to bring balance and harmony on the surface, and stop worrying about things that are perfect as is (Earth).

Too busy with our balloon head ideas, scoping dead planets and moons. . When the real treasure is right under our nose, the life we were given.

Yes, I'm one of those nature guys

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

You would think they could use that hole to create geothermal heat to heat a building since they spent so much on that project. What a waste. You could probably heat an entire complex with that heat and also create electricity to power it.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
How do we know the composition of Earth's layers?

The Earth's crust, mantle and core

I apologise for the link, very very basic but contains the required infomation.

As to the hole itslef, i say keep digging. The only way humans have advanced is through curiosity and by "tinkering".

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
You would think they could use that hole to create geothermal heat to heat a building since they spent so much on that project. What a waste. You could probably heat an entire complex with that heat and also create electricity to power it.

You don't drill to unknown depths, through unknown substrates, in highly populated areas.

That kind of hubris is begging for a lot of dead people.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: Elementalist

I'm with you. Utilize the natural heat to create energy and heat homes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join