It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Officers Shot In Front Of PD During Protest In Ferguson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Just when you think things may have calmed down....

FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) — Two officers were shot in front of the Ferguson Police Department early Thursday, authorities said, as demonstrators gathered after the city's police chief resigned in the wake of a scathing Justice Department report alleging bias in the police department and court.

A 32-year-old officer from nearby Webster Groves was shot in the face and a 41-year-old officer from St. Louis County was shot in the shoulder, St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said at a news conference. Both were taken to a hospital, where Belmar said they were conscious. He said he did not have further details about their conditions but described their injuries as "serious."
"I don't know who did the shooting, to be honest with you," Belmar said, adding that he could not provide a description of the suspect or gun.

He said he assumed, based on where the officers were standing and the trajectory of the bullets, that "these shots were directed exactly at my officers."

The shots were fired shortly after midnight as protesters gathered following the resignation of embattled Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson on Wednesday. Before the shooting, some at the protest chanted to show their dissatisfaction with the resignations of Jackson and City Manager John Shaw this week, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. Authorities from multiple law enforcement agencies also gathered outside the department.

I'm guessing things will heat up again now as tensions grow even more. As much as folks mock the Rodney King "Can't We All Just Get Along" mantra, I find myself thinking the very same thing more and more every day. I think it's a shame any time humans (regardless of race, religion, etc.) can not share space in a peaceful and productive way. All of us are better than what we've been doing (the collective we) IMO.

You can read more here: news.yahoo.com...
edit on 3/12/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Oh my. That's really not going to go well. A people versus a police department? Things are going to get worse before they get better I think.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Place is a mess.

Won't blame the people though.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

This is so sad... I hope they don't heat up again, we don't need more fighting amongst ourselves...

There are problems in our nation's but they'll only be fixed when us citizens stand together, not against each other.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
Won't blame the people though.

No, because it is totally okay to go to a protest and shoot people in the face.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Those are my thoughts exactly. I pictured a return of the tanks, tear gas, and rubber bullets when I read this. That's not good for anyone on either side.

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

This is so sad... I hope they don't heat up again, we don't need more fighting amongst ourselves...

There are problems in our nation's but they'll only be fixed when us citizens stand together, not against each other.

I couldn't agree more. This certainly isn't a good sign to ease the tensions there. Sad indeed for all involved.

edit on 3/12/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Someone waits all this time and after the chief quits. Pretty lame and stupid. I'm not surprised though.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The shooters could well be some of the Police who were fired, getting back at the department. This is the current mentality.

The MO of sniper tactics would suggest this may be a valid consideration.

P

edit on 12/3/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Already Posted

Closing

Thank you

Semper

top topics

join