It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race is no longer a significant issue in modern Britain?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Not my opinion. In fact im mixed.

It seems to be Nigel Farage

Nigel Farage has sparked another race row by saying that legislation preventing racial discrimination in the workplace should be scrapped because it is out of date. The Ukip leader said laws barring discrimination on grounds of nationality or race were not required because race is no longer a significant issue in modern Britain.

MSN

Personal I dont think its time just yet to scrap such laws. But I hope one day we can. I think the UK better off in this regard than the USA but we are still far from a total race less society.

I do agree preference should be given to UK passport holders. Black white or Purple It does not matter but UK citizens should get first job picks.

I do take exception at this though:

Mr Farage’s assertion that racism is no longer a problem in the UK employment market appears to conflict with figures from the House of Commons Library, which show that the number of young people from ethnic minority backgrounds who have been jobless for more than a year has risen by 49 per cent since the 2010 election.

These dates are taken at the height of the recession. It failing to take in to account the vastly competitive job market that arose from that.
The sad fact is many minority have closed themselves off in inner city estates where education is extremely poor and gangs rampant. Therefor the youth never stood a chance on the job market. Its a social issue but I don't think it has anything to do with racism in the work place or education institution. Nothing stops the minority youth getting a good education except them and the poor state of London comprehensive schools.

Anyway what are your thoughts? Is Farage speaking out his arse again or does he have a point?
edit on 12-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Nigel's a crafty old fox. He pretends to care about poor unfortunate black youths who've had their job prospects destroyed by immigrants, but all he really wants is to revive some resentment, and hopefully create a bit more chaos that he can try and capitalise on.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
I think, for a start, he's miscalculated the effect of that argument on the electorate.
He may have put off a significant number of waverers, enough to reduce his chances of winning seats.

Something ought to be done, certainly, to detach the "racism" issue from the question of relations between religious communities. Both Christianity and Islam are in principle available to ALL races, so it is absurd to link the two issues together.

edit on 12-3-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: IvanAstikov

As an Englishmen on a small island, I have never been asked if I wanted my culture to be turned into - as the Columbian leader commented on this subject - a salad.

Yes immigration brings some benefits and new blood also, but only when the language and culture is fully understood and people can come in and start working, thereby earning the benefits of living here. Currently we are supposed to expect yet another wave of immigration causing housing shortages, problems with school places, our NHS likely to be crashed as hospitals have, for the first time in known history had to close their doors to admittances. If you think that overcrowding this country without the necessary infrastructure in place is clever I would beg to disagree with you. Living on the South coast we have a large number of hotels now not doing business for holiday makers they are housing immigrants, many in luxury who don't work. There is resentment setting up as many who struggle to pay their bills can't even afford a holiday. Its also not practical to expect the ever dwindling middle man/women to keep paying their taxes for less and less services. I have grand daughter who will never know the spirit of the country I grew up in. The world moves on but not successfully I suspect at this pace.

A better solution to mass movement of peoples needs to be found closer to the homes they are having to leave. Fortunately Asia looks to be the new power house and I am surprised many try to learn the language in a country on the rise in that part of the world as it probably offers much better facilities and infrastructure.

That's my honest view regardless of whatever other culture arrives here. Were the money/wealth evenly spread and we could afford to absorb more people who need to leave their countries for various reasons, except criminal ones that would be a different matter. The propoganda the government gives out is rubbish as having been hospital recently it certainly had a large number of people not even speaking English seeking medical help (which I don't want refused to them) but you can't take continually without the investment which our government is not prepared to put in except to their sponsors private pockets.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

As an Englishmen on a small island, I have never been asked if I wanted my culture to be turned into - as the Columbian leader commented on this subject - a salad.

Well, as another man of mixed English, Scottish and og knows what came before them blood, living on that same small island, I'm glad you weren't asked.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   

He's right, but for the wrong reasons.

Nigel doesn't think it's an issue because like the stats say immigrants are now 49 percent less likely to get a job. That's probably what he wanted to begin with.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
People have this delusion that they are special or unique. If there were only white people on earth they would fight over religion, if no religion they would fight over geological location, just like followers of a losing hockey team people need to take sides and group themselves which negates the delusion of individually.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

Yes immigration brings some benefits and new blood also, but only when the language and culture is fully understood and people can come in and start working, thereby earning the benefits of living here. Currently we are supposed to expect yet another wave of immigration causing housing shortages, problems with school places, our NHS likely to be crashed as hospitals have, for the first time in known history had to close their doors to admittances. If you think that overcrowding this country without the necessary infrastructure in place is clever I would beg to disagree with you. Living on the South coast we have a large number of hotels now not doing business for holiday makers they are housing immigrants, many in luxury who don't work. There is resentment setting up as many who struggle to pay their bills can't even afford a holiday. Its also not practical to expect the ever dwindling middle man/women to keep paying their taxes for less and less services. I have grand daughter who will never know the spirit of the country I grew up in. The world moves on but not successfully I suspect at this pace.

A better solution to mass movement of peoples needs to be found closer to the homes they are having to leave. Fortunately Asia looks to be the new power house and I am surprised many try to learn the language in a country on the rise in that part of the world as it probably offers much better facilities and infrastructure.

That's my honest view regardless of whatever other culture arrives here. Were the money/wealth evenly spread and we could afford to absorb more people who need to leave their countries for various reasons, except criminal ones that would be a different matter. The propoganda the government gives out is rubbish as having been hospital recently it certainly had a large number of people not even speaking English seeking medical help (which I don't want refused to them) but you can't take continually without the investment which our government is not prepared to put in except to their sponsors private pockets.

Well, you're doubtless correct, but as you've pointed out...you weren't asked and you don't have a say in the matter. You've voice doesn't matter and if you speak out against the agenda, you'll be fired from your job for being a racist, so you'd best keep your mouth shut and do what you can to avoid the fall out. Welcome to the New World Order!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
None of us were asked, so it's not like anybody is being picked on. Call me a progressive, but I don't want the future of the country I live in to be determined by people who believe Strictly Come Dancing is the height of entertainment.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

No, he doesn't have a point - to an extent - because as usual he's hoisted himself on his on petard. Farage keeps race (and he can say what he likes, race & nationality are fundamentally tied) as an issue and then complains when people pull him up on it.

It's interesting he says that employers should favour British people over immigrants when providing jobs..... I wonder if his German wife who he employs in his role as an MEP helped him come up with that idea?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Apparently Nigel is asking me and I don't think you read all of my thread.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

Oh, I read it all. I just didn't think the rest of your opinions were worth addressing. I've just heard your best friend Nigel, who was personally asking you this question, talking on tv about how he was supporting unemployed British black and white youths(preferably of a judeo/christian persuasion)... no mention of those pesky muslim brown ones who want to impose Shariah law on his beloved country.

edit on 12-3-2015 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2015 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

His point is that when you have a home to support and the high bills that in this country, through its indirect and direct taxation people have to pay to live, its harder to support a family living here than abroad with tax credits etc. Your living expenses if you rent or share rooms which many immigrant men do who have left family behind, are much cheaper and apart from the taxation little percolates into council tax and other expenses people have here.

Also having watched Farage in action in Europe taking on the chair I know he is the right person to get a fair deal for people here. But there is a limit on how many jobs this country can produce to employ people and the facilities they need. I am not going to the breadline jobs that politicians have allowed wealthy non tax paying corporations to provide here - so at the end of the day these waves of mass immigration have got to stop.

The slight that his wife is German is petty because you forget he has inside knowledge of what it feels like to be a foreigner here as well as a german with the disdain Germans faced afor a long time fter the war when living here. That for me tells me people don't think before they gage their fingers to the key board of the overall picture.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Also having watched Farage in action in Europe taking on the chair I know he is the right person to get a fair deal for people here.

Besides getting under the skin of almost all his fellow workers, what EXACTLY has Farage achieved as an MEP?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Employers should pick the best candidate for the job and there should be no laws restricting this in my opinion. There are a lot of jobs, UK citizens simply do not want to do and while this remains, I have absolutely no problem with immigrants working here.

With regards to racism in the UK, I still think we are a very tolerant country and long may it continue we don't have the racial problems you see in the US which is a good thing. We do have a problem with Islamic extremism in some areas which should be addressed, but no one really has a realistic solution as far as I'm aware

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I find it crazy that British people are always whinning on about immigrants taking their jobs & social security & medical treatments.
I see foreign people come to the UK and make and good job of creating opportunities to earn money (not illegally). I see them start businesses & get jobs.
If I was an immigrant & came here & saw how many British people don't work or want to I'd have a poor opinion of them.
We should be stiving to be sucsessful & productive to set the example to Immigrants comming here, not constantly crying about "they're taking this & that from us " all the time.
I work with young people from all over the world & the negative attitude of the young British never fails to dissapoint me.
Young immigrants have a far brighter outlook & attitude to their own future.
We seem to have become complacent & have an expectation of being entitled to this & that.
WRONG! You get what you work for & it has always been like that. I have dead family who had to leave London & travel to other parts of the country for work in days gone by.
Thatcher changed British society, for better or worse; you get what you work for if you're the common man.
Nothing gets given to you for free.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

a reply to: uncommitted

His point is that when you have a home to support and the high bills that in this country, through its indirect and direct taxation people have to pay to live, its harder to support a family living here than abroad with tax credits etc. Your living expenses if you rent or share rooms which many immigrant men do who have left family behind, are much cheaper and apart from the taxation little percolates into council tax and other expenses people have here.

Also having watched Farage in action in Europe taking on the chair I know he is the right person to get a fair deal for people here. But there is a limit on how many jobs this country can produce to employ people and the facilities they need. I am not going to the breadline jobs that politicians have allowed wealthy non tax paying corporations to provide here - so at the end of the day these waves of mass immigration have got to stop.

The slight that his wife is German is petty because you forget he has inside knowledge of what it feels like to be a foreigner here as well as a german with the disdain Germans faced afor a long time fter the war when living here. That for me tells me people don't think before they gage their fingers to the key board of the overall picture.

Good for you, vote for him then. You've seen Farage in action in Europe? You know he proudly states he has never voted in the European Parliament, therefore he actually takes no action whatsoever of any use, he just likes to shout his opinion a lot and we as taxpayers fund him to do so.

The fact he employs his German wife instead of a British national speaks volumes about his hypocrisy, there's nothing petty about that. I personally love it when on a tv vox pop item they will have a 16 year old pregnant girl pushing her other child in a pushchair complaining about foreigners taking all 'our' jobs...... yeah, fine Nigel, speak to the masses and there are always those who will class themselves as victims.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Race is no longer an issue in intelligent and civilized people, it's those damn Muggles...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

totally unbothered and will still, after having read everything uttered on here, be voting for Nigel alongside a lot of other people if the polls already held are anything to go by.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

totally unbothered and will still, after having read everything uttered on here, be voting for Nigel alongside a lot of other people if the polls already held are anything to go by.

I think he may have a point in Kent.

I live in Medway. I have never seen any racism. We all seem to get along and minority hold all different jobs.

My issue is that it may be different elsewhere in say east London or Birmingham.
I dont think everywhere is maybe as colour blind. YET.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join