It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This sounds kind of interesting!

news.bbc.co.uk...

Check it out.

Stu

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Your right, it's an interesting thread, and a bit worrisome. It looks like the main ingrediants were: E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, and jellyfish. What will their next project be?

"Oh, we combined the great white shark, the vulture, and locusts..."

Personally, I don't think mankind should be playing God with life. Not because of any particular religious reason, but rather because we simply haven't acquired the wisdom to know when we shouldn't.

I'm reminded of a quote in the movie "Jurassic Park", by the Chaos Mathematician...

"You spent so much time trying to figure out if you could, that you never stopped to think about whether or not you should.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Ah the seminal technophobic ranting of Micheal Chriton. When is he gonna make a movie where its more then. Man creates somthing amazing, then it screws up and we pay, thus shoving the moral of the story down its viewers throats. That moral is usally. "Thou shalt not play god.." or somthing to that affect. I want some GOOD Specualtive Fiction not some SciFi hackjob. Sorry for ranting but whenever I hear somone compare science in Movies and science in Real Life, I always get pissed off. The two aren't comparable, because Directors and Writers rarely know squat about science. There are a few that do understand(ie the Writer of 2001 and 2011) but the majority just want to sensationalize. Again Sorry for Ranting.

EDIT: BTW The Chimera in the story is interesting, I wonder when we'll be creating Ogier.

Does anyone know what types of applications this technology will have in say 20 years time? And please don't say Skynet or somthing to that effect as it derails discussion.

[edit on 18-12-2004 by sardion2000]

new topics

join