It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand here I come!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
hope I’m not too late with my recommendations.
I visited Bangkok just over a year ago. but not for the first time, so all I could think of was to get out of Bangkok which turned out to be an excellent idea.
however I must say, Bangkok is truly fantastic. I do also recommend you to catch the motor bike taxis. not only are they cheap but also fast weaving through the traffic and with some of them the drive turns into an adventure.

I for one do not recommend you to get even near the major temples and the Grand Palace. Unfortunately, because they are truly awesome. but the crowds are a mega turn-off. if you haven’t seen this you wont believe me. for those places I would tell you to look them up on-line but I hear you say you are not interested in them anyway.

this is the queue of tourist buses near the entrance gate.

sometimes not even my dare-devil-motor-bike-taxi-driver would make it through

I do recommend you though to spend some time at the Siam Paragon which is a fantastic shopping center - but it was not shopping that made me find it.

the greatness already starts in the basement where the Siam Ocean World is located. it is a huge walk through aquarium. mainly the penguins had attracted me so I link you to a youtube in this regard.

next to the sea world is also a great internet café that might interest you.
the main entrance is also fantastic by itself featuring special exhibitions and decorations in grand style. I also ran into a motor bike show with the newest models on display.

all levels are worthwhile checking out for the shops and their goods on display. from the newest models of anything electronic to rare examples of antiques, all a feast.

but the main reason I was heading to the Siam Paragon was a course advertised for an adobe creative cloud one day session. it was supposed to be on the top floor of the Pentagon in the Thailand Creative and Design Center and was very difficult to find. I eventually found the tiniest sign to the TCDC on a poster next to an elevator off the main section.

first I arrived on an other floor with a food court that was most interesting and sumptuous. then finally I found my floor. off course first there was a huge cinema. to my surprise I also was rewarded with a design museum and shop (the creams and perfumes to test were out of this world) and, my highlight, an enormous design library.

Enormous, considering for its hidden away location. the view into the highrise world of bkk wasn’t too bad either. most books were in English. Books on anything in regards to design. You could spend days looking through your favorite subjects………… there are nice and comfortable lounges to do so. my course was also held in English and of course was worthwhile the interesting effort finding it.

ah yeah, and the library had a 3D Printing Exhibition also. I’m sure the Pantagon will not disappoint you!

For public transport I found the skyrails the best and for big distances across the city I head down to the river and catch the boat. The Bankok Post advertises a lot of shows and festivals and its good to check daily. There are a lot of little art galleries in the main cbd areas and finding them is also a good way to get see bkk away from the tourist tracks.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Sanssouci

Not too late at all!

Wow this is great info!!!! I Love aquariums!!

I'm also an Adobe certified designer so I would love the adobe creative cloud you mentioned!!! I will decently go to the Thailand Creative and Design Center, and the design museum and design library!!!! And I love books! Bookstore here I come!!!

3D Printing Exhibition!!! AWESOME!!! This is right up my alley!!! I worked with a 3D printer, (actually its part of my job, but because its still new, its real slow at the moment!!)

This is just the best info!!! Siam Paragon here I come!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I've been to Thailand when I was in the Army back in the 90's. The place I was at smelled like an open sewer.
Don't drink the water, watch out for scorpions and get malaria pills

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

I went to the travel clinic for shots, they told me to only drink bottel water, but Bangkok is not a malaria area.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

Thailand is a really cool place. I've been living here for the past five years and its great. Its definitely not perfect but its a welcome change from Western culture.

Places i would recommend in Bangkok would be:

the Grand Palace
The art museum at Siam
Jatujuk market (open on the weekends)
The history museum near Khao San (srry cant remember the name, but a bit of googling should help you out)
The former palace thats near the Bangkok zoo
The Klong San Saab (its a canal where you can catch a boat ride from Ramkhamhaeng all the way out to Khao San. A really cheap and fun way to travel as well)
The top of the Baiyoke tower
The golden mountain temple
The temple of the golden Buddha
The area known as Suphan Thaksin (one of the oldest sectors of the city)
And most definitely China Town!

As far as advice i would say be nice to everyone. If someone rubs you the wrong way just let it go. Try and speak a little bit of Thai.. even if its just hello (sawatdee krob or the jrob becomes ka if you are a lady) itll go a long way with the locals. Watch out for your wallet when youre in a crowded place. Eat some street food. Shop around. Bargain. Make sure you use the taxi service at the airport. Be very careful with your passport. If the police hassle you just keep your cool and always show respect. Dont touch anyones head or point at/touch anything with your foot! Try not to fall in love
And most of all... have a great time! That last bit shouldnt be too hard.

If youd like i would be happy to show you around a bit. I can speak the language and know quite a bit of people here. So if you're interested just let me know, ive pmed you my email.

Have a great and safe trip!

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentOpinion
Thanks for the tips! Luckely I dont drink, at all, so I will not be spending time in any bar, but thanks for the heads up.

Well don't be smoking any funny stuff, you don't want to end up on that show Locked up Abroad, or with a noose around your neck. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

if you leave in a couple of weeks

and if you stay for a couple of weeks

you know what would await you

lots of fun !!

Songkran, Thailand New Year is on 13.-15.April

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Thanks for the article, it reminded me my last New Year celebration there with my mom) As for the taxi service, the taxi-bikes are cool if you're young and cheerfull, but if you travel with your parents, better use traditional ones( Uber, kiwitaxi.com... )))) My mom ennjoyed the trip, but abbundance of bikes and almost uncontrolled transport just made her crazy)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
yup dont mess with the local gals, 70% of em have some kind of STD according to what were told in briefings before we went

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
One tour i regret not doing last time i visited Thailand was HELLFIRE PASS. Friends of mine who have been there say it will give you goosebumps. The Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum, built and maintained by the Australian government, is located just above Hellfire Pass (Konyu Cutting). Opened in 1998, it is dedicated to the Allied prisoners of war and Asian labourers who suffered and died at Hellfire Pass and elsewhere in the Asia Pacific region during World War II.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: emptyOmind

Sorry for not responding sooner, I went on a camping trip, and had real bad internet connection from my mobile.

Where are you originally from?

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I can assure you that we are going to at least 5 of those places for sure!! We (me and my parents) are only over there for 5 days, so have to be pretty picky as to what and where we are going to do. Also thanks for the advice about the speaking their language, but I think I would think twice before trying it. As someone speaking Afrikaans, I fear my pronunciations will be wrong, and my innocent "Hello" will become some rude insult or something.

Great thanks! I saw your u2u before reading you comment, so I has a bit confused at that moment. LOL!! I will really consider your offer. Sorry for being a bit on the fence about this, but my parents are still a bit 'old-school', and would really frown upon it. LOL, but who knows, maybe they will give in!! I've heard that that is the best way to explore a new country, with a local.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Sanssouci

WOW!! looks super fun!!! but I leave in less than a week.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: mangust69

Oky that video has nothing to do with a party, and I can not understand one word. Are you sure you linked the correct video?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join