It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powdered Alcohol gets Fed Approval. Can this end well?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: cronemel

Powdered Alcohol gets Fed Approval. Can this end well? - No.

Job done.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I seem to recall the news getting all riled up over butt chugging.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

I understand what you're saying.

Maybe his credentials will make him seem less one sided?

Thunderf00t's real name is Phil Mason!

Mason received a BSc and PhD in chemistry from the University of Birmingham in 1993 and 1997, respectively.[3] From 2003[4] until at least August 2010, Mason was affiliated with the University of Bristol.[5]

Mason worked at Cornell University's department of food science until 2011, where he studied the molecular interactions between water and sugar molecules,[6] as well as molecular modeling with regard to proteins and guanidinium solutions. As of winter 2013, he was working at the Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, where he was working with a research group headed by Pavel Jungwirth.[3] Mason was the lead author in one paper, published in Nature Chemistry, that argued that alkali metal reactions with water can cause a coulomb explosion.[7][8] Mason has co-authored 34 scientific papers, of which he is the lead author of 20. He is still actively publishing research.[9]

Phil Mason

edit on 3-11-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
Most people need to watch this before commenting.

Thank you for the informative video.

Np, glad you enjoyed it.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

South Carolina, Louisiana and Vermont last year passed laws banning powdered alcohol. Several states are weighing similar legislation now, including Mississippi, Virginia, Ohio, Colorado, North Dakota, New York, New Jersey and Washington.

The product would need to get approval from state alcohol boards to be sold in 17 beverage control states such as Oregon and Virginia. Pennsylvania already issued a ruling saying it couldn’t be sold by its control board, according to the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association.
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

What's wrong with a state saying a harmful product can't be sold? There are many products that shouldn't be allowed on store shelves.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I believe in people having free will to make their own decisions. I don't think powdered alcohol is all that bad.

Do you think we should ban everything that is harmful? examples cellphones, alcohol and cigarettes...

Do you want a state to make all of your purchasing decisions for you (i.e. when they ban items)?
edit on 12-3-2015 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Agreed
But, why give them something else like this? Sounds dangerous to me.
I'm curios about the taste also. A big deterrent to underage drinking is the taste of liquor/beer/wine.
If you can put this powder into your Kool-Aid and have it taste just as good as the Kool-Aid, we have a big problem on our hands.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

We already have alcohol beverages in corner stores that look like harmless energy drinks. Kids have been caught with them in schools. Should we ban those beverages or punish the kids for making the wrong decision?

Why does this sound so dangerous to you?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
It seems dangerous to me because I feel like this could be more easily abused than liquid alcohol. More concealable, too.
Ban the beverages you referenced? No
Punish underagers for drinking them? Yes. Hopefully not by the law, but parents. It sucks to be out in the system so young.
Don't get me wrong now, I drank when I was underage and still do today.
If this was around when I was younger, I'm sure I would be real excited to try it(not snort it, of course)
Alcohol is bad enough as it is. I just don't see the need to re-invent booze like this.
However, Michigan was not on the list of states that banned it and if I see it on the shelves... curiosity will get the better of me I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
a reply to: Aazadan

I believe in people having free will to make their own decisions. I don't think powdered alcohol is all that bad.

Do you think we should ban everything that is harmful? examples cellphones, alcohol and cigarettes...

Do you want a state to make all of your purchasing decisions for you (i.e. when they ban items)?

Do you trust companies to only make products that aren't overly harmful without any oversight? Do you think the supplement market as it currently stands is a good thing?

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Do you trust companies to only make products that aren't overly harmful without any oversight? Do you think the supplement market as it currently stands is a good thing?

No it happens a lot. I wouldn't say ban it.
The supplements scandal wasn't a surprise. It was walmart, target and walgreens. I wouldn't buy supplements from there.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

I don't think it will be a hot commodity for long. Kinda reminds me of instant coffee. Not as good as actual coffee.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

No it happens a lot. I wouldn't say ban it.
The supplements scandal wasn't a surprise. It was walmart, target and walgreens. I wouldn't buy supplements from there.

That's the difference between us. To me, if a company can't make a non harmful product or at the very least be upfront about the harm I don't think they should have a position in the market. Pure competition isn't always about who can make the best product, but rather who can make the most marketable product. Sometimes the most marketable product isn't what's best for the consumer and as a result relying only on market forces to manage our safety is a poor idea.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

So Op you are for a nanny state were the government protects you. According to the constitution you have the right to do whatever you want as long as it does not infringe on anothers right to do the same.

Apply this simple logic and see what real liberty and freedom is.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
You know, I really enjoy cake frosting. The funny thing about cake frosting is how simple it is... butter + a lot of powdered sugar = cake frosting. Though I have, from time to time in my life, made myself a bit queasy by eating a bit of frosting, I have yet to ever grab a bag of powdered sugar and a stick of butter and start jamming them both into my mouth in an effort to quench my thirst for frosting. I appreciate the fact that I can still go into the store and buy an unlimited quantity of butter and as many pounds of confectioner's sugar as I wish... I see that as freedom and liberty in a way, freedom and liberty which I would almost certainly lose if ubernannies like Micheal Bloomberg ran the show with their stated goal of saving all Americans from themselves.

If someone decides to buy a keg of powdered booze, sits down with a spoon, and proceeds to eat the whole keg until they keel over from a combination of alcohol poisoning and dehydration, isn't it their own business? Again, as I often do with any American nanny white knight proposal designed to ban something dangerous to people, I must return to the hypocrisy of American law. The SCOTUS legislated from the bench the unquestioned RIGHT of abortion via the ideology that every person has an inalienable right to control their own body. So long as that RIGHT to have a procedure performed which is purely intended to damage a human life in the name of personal rights over self exists, every nanny law is NLBS. If a person doesn't have the right to poison their own body, then the entire concept of right over self and right over your own body flies directly out the window.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Thats cool. I can think of a few things to use it for in my bar.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

That's the difference between us. To me, if a company can't make a non harmful product or at the very least be upfront about the harm I don't think they should have a position in the market. Pure competition isn't always about who can make the best product, but rather who can make the most marketable product. Sometimes the most marketable product isn't what's best for the consumer and as a result relying only on market forces to manage our safety is a poor idea.

then you would be talking about nearly everything sold in stores, even gum with aspartame ? Hey I got an idea lets ban everything

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Just how can a liquid, with no solids in suspension in it, be turned into powder? Milk can be made into a powder, it has minute solids in it, where are the solids in Alcohol?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

then you would be talking about nearly everything sold in stores, even gum with aspartame ? Hey I got an idea lets ban everything

There's a line where things become too harmful. As the saying goes, life is a terminal illness. Even water, an absolute necessity for us to not die is fatal when taken to excess.

That's why we have an FDA, it's their job to prevent things like antifreeze being sold in wine as a cheap filler ingredient while not blocking every single little thing.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join