It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One for the Vegans, Plants know who, and What, is eating it and feel some kind of pain

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Study claims plants know what is eating it by the saliva excreted, or the way it chews

A new US study may make you think twice about biting into a piece of lettuce.

Scientists claim plants can feel themselves being eaten alive – and some can even tell what type of creature is attacking them.

The discovery was made after tests on the Arabidopsis plant found it can distinguish between insects eating it based on the way they chew and drool.

'It was no surprise that plants responded differently to having their leaves chewed by a caterpillar or sucked by an aphid,' Heidi Appel, senior research scientist University of Missouri told the Washington Post.

'What surprised us was how different plant responses were to each of the caterpillars and aphids. The plants could clearly tell insects apart - they really seem to "know" who's attacking.'

Plants attempt to defend themselves using different methods, such as giving off spicy flavours and rancid smells. These defences are expressed in their genes.

There were also different genetic responses to each worm, showing that the plant knew what was eating it.

Professor Appel hopes that this will allow scientists to breed plants that are naturally insect resistant rather than spraying them with pesticides.

When caterpillars later fed on both sets of plants, the researchers found that the plants previously exposed to feeding vibrations produced more mustard oils, a chemical that is unappealing to many caterpillars.

'What is remarkable is that the plants exposed to different vibrations, including those made by a gentle wind or different insect sounds that share some acoustic features with caterpillar feeding vibrations did not increase their chemical defences,' co-author Rex Cocroft, said.

'This indicates that the plants are able to distinguish feeding vibrations from other common sources of environmental vibration.'

HOW PLANTS TALK
Researchers in Bonn, Germany, found plants give off a gas when under 'attack'.
Super-sensitive microphones picked up a 'bubbling' sound from a healthy plant.
But this rose to a piercing screech when it was under threat.
Even a tiny insect bite could have an effect.
'The more a plant is subjected to stress, the louder the signal,' said Dr Frank Kühnemann.
Plants do not actually scream in pain. But different sounds are heard when the gas they emit, ethylene, is bombarded with lasers.
The research could help to work out which pieces of fruit and vegetables are likely to stay fresh longer, as a cucumber which is starting to go off produces a squealing sound.
It could then be separated from the fresher ones.

You know what this means don't you? We have to do what that weird Barbie woman is doing and eat Air. Because now eating anything is cruel. I do hate being the bearer of bad news and all. That, or we can just eat anything. Like Bacon!

No but in all seriousness, this is just a study, one of many I'm sure. Who knows what other studies will find. I thought it interesting enough to share, I hope you guys find it interesting at least as well.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Nothing lives without consuming something else for energy. It is simply the nature of life. When we die we will be consumed by natural processes. The circle of life.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
The circle of life.

Is that you James Earl Jones?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Plant cruelty charges on the horizon anybody?

Just like that thread where the guy in the UK was arrested for eating a live goldfish.

If our corn was not killed humanely, or heaven forbid, eaten ALIVE, there will be consequences.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
You mean inedia? It's possible but definitely not for everyone. Yet.

I think part of the solution is ritualistic expressions of gratitude toward the plants, and toward the transcendent mystery source. Thanking the plants, inviting them inside us to become us, and us them. That and taking care of the planet like the stewards we are supposed to be.

And lots of tree-hugging.

👣

edit on 717Wednesday000000America/ChicagoMar000000WednesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule
I think the solution is ritualistic expressions of gratitude toward the plants, and toward the transcendent mystery source. Thanking the plants, inviting them inside us to become us, and us them. That and taking care of the planet like the stewards we are supposed to be.

Nah. I think I'll just stick to ripping the lettuce out of my garden by its roots, dousing it with bacon dressing and consuming its still squealing ass alive.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I think the solution is ritualistic expressions of gratitude toward the plants, and toward the transcendent mystery source. Thanking the plants, inviting them inside us to become us, and us them. That and taking care of the planet like the stewards we are supposed to be.

Nah. I think I'll just stick to ripping the lettuce out of my garden by its roots, dousing it with bacon dressing and consuming its still squealing ass alive.

Spoken like a true American, lol. 😕

👣

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Were any plants hurt during the making of the video?

//haha

(post by kevinp2300 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

It's a dog eat dog world and I got's to eat, but good news for plants because I don't really like salads, veggies, etc.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Here's a suggestion to people of Earth...

Stop telling other people what to eat.

You're equal to religious fanatics.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I never really did like lettuce. But, I still can't be a breathatarian. My stomach would feel so... so empty!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Spoken like a true American, lol.

You should see what my Italian relatives eat.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Vegans are horrible, sadistic bastards.

Why can't they eat rocks and water like I do?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: kevinp2300

Mmm bacon is good for you

Now you have gone and made me hungry.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Plants and I are friends, I don't harm them and they look pretty in my house/yard/deck etc.

Animals on the other hand...watch out tasty critters.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

It's a dog eat dog world and I got's to eat, but good news for plants because I don't really like salads, veggies, etc.

I love plants. Especially chocolate kind.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I'd eat that plant. Where'd it come from, Wonka's chocolate factory?
edit on 11-3-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

LMAO. This thread is just proof that one must feel pain for the other to feel pleasure.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I never really did like lettuce. But, I still can't be a breathatarian. My stomach would feel so... so empty!

I think people who "claim" to be breathatarians are fake. Sorry. You cannot tell me you are existing on air alone, and only air. You have to be drinking juice, getting an IV now and then from dehydration, SOMETHING!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join