It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blackbeard's face was his greatest weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
From Smithsonian

Blackbeard and his pirates rarely fought the merchant vessels they commandeered. Their secret? Pure intimidation.

I have always been intrigued by the legends of Pirates and Privateers..This just furthers my love of this point in history..For Blackbeard as a pirate his P.R. was outstanding!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

Wow, with a face like that he could have easily made it into the Children's Bible as the Devil.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Thanks for the lesson!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leprekon

Thanks for the lesson!

You're welcome LOVE your Pip-Boy avatar !
WE WANT FALLOUT 4 !!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Awww I know right I even tried to find the closest green...fallout 4 might pull me back into gaming..such a unique game!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

That face was displayed on a yardarm not two miles from my house.
We have a black beard festival every year here.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

That face was displayed on a yardarm not two miles from my house.
We have a black beard festival every year here.

A festival huh? I would LOVE to go.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

It's great. Kids in tricorn hats yelling Arrrr urging each other to walk the plank. They reenact the beheading. Rides, food, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum if you're over 21. Fun.
The city of Hampton is very proud to have rid the world of this scoundrel.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
One generation's murderer is another's hero.

If we live long enough, we'll see kids playing 'Nazis'.

Time cures all.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

It's great. Kids in tricorn hats yelling Arrrr urging each other to walk the plank. They reenact the beheading. Rides, food, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum if you're over 21. Fun.
The city of Hampton is very proud to have rid the world of this scoundrel.

Why would they have wanted to rid the world of one of Britain's greatest hero's ?

There are plenty of Pirates still around. Today we call them " Bankers" ( or a name that rhymes with Bankers )

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The less one knows about pirates, the funnier they are.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Read an interesting article about blackbeard. His actual name was Edward Teach.

He wasn't nearly as violent as people make him out to be. And he received a Royal Pardon. Only to get into it with the governor of Virginia who wanted his butt for a blockade and raid he did to a port in the Carolinas.

Edward Teach was feared and had a huge armada of pirates. But he also used mainly psychological warfare. He wasn't known for actually mistreating prisoners either.

He did believe in shock and awe tactics though. He would run along side a ship with his own and do a single "Fire for Effect" a full salvo for just one pass and cause havoc above deck. But that would be it. He then would pull up along side and take 90 percent of the crew prisoners. Basically whoever didn't get hit in the first and only salvo. He did have a really good boarding crew lead by a really capable first mate. Once they were aboard nobody really would fight back. His Boarding crews relied on their reputation preceding them. So most often the violence was minimal for a pirate. There were much worse pirates as far as violence goes.

An example of his psyops would be that he would put lit fuzes under his hat so people would think he was some demon smoldering smoke.

new topics

top topics

join