It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dog that can sniff out thyroid cancer 88% of the time!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Frankie was taught to lie down if it smelled thyroid cancer in urine samples

A dog with an 'unbelievable' sense of smell has been able to sniff out thyroid cancer in people not yet diagnosed with the disease.

US researchers said that on a test of 34 patients, Frankie the German Shepherd showed 88 per cent accuracy in finding tumours.

Frankie was trained to lie down when he could smell thyroid cancer in a sample of urine and turn away if it was clean.

Researchers at the University of Arkansas said Frankie only made two false positives and two incorrect 'all-clear' diagnoses.

'What we have done, no one has attempted to do,' said lead author Arny Ferrando, who noted past studies showing trained dogs can reliably tell the difference between cancerous and non-cancerous tissues.

'We have taken the next step by asking the dog to tell us whether or not cancer exists before the medical diagnostic system does.

'We wanted to see, can the doctor utilise the dog to help diagnose cancer?'

Thyroid tumours, which occur in a gland in the neck, are relatively rare and usually diagnosed by taking a blood sample and testing its hormone levels.

Yes, this isn't foolproof, but this IS quite promising! If they can find a way to eliminate the false positives and create a machine to do what the dog was doing, they might be able to test for thyroid cancer before it becomes a major problem for the patient. Obviously something like this would be a little ways away, but again, it's promising.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Wow - cool!

I have thyroid cancer - had my thyroid and a bunch of lymph nodes removed last summer. Now I got a few new swollen nodes and have to get checked for reoccurrence (or spread).

I'm getting bloodwork, imaging tests, Biopsies ... Never a urine check. Wish I could borrow the dog for a moment and get his opinion!

Cool news, thanks for posting!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead
Wow - cool!

I have thyroid cancer - had my thyroid and a bunch of lymph nodes removed last summer. Now I got a few new swollen nodes and have to get checked for reoccurrence (or spread).

I'm getting bloodwork, imaging tests, Biopsies ... Never a urine check. Wish I could borrow the dog for a moment and get his opinion!

Cool news, thanks for posting!

Anytime! If you're near that area, I'd say stop over and ask if you can volunteer. Can't hurt. As my dad always says, "What's the worst they can tell you? No?" Either way it's very if they're able to isolate the chemicals the dog is able to smell in the urine, to eventually be able to create a machine to do what the dog does, then have one in every hospital. Then it will be a simple matter of peeing in a cup, and having the machine look for the chemical in the urine stream for you. Either way, it's very cool!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I am nowhere near Arkanas, otherwise I would call them up!

I imagine getting the news from Frankie would be much better than getting it from a doctor.

I'm imaging a dog in a white lab coat: "Yeah, the cancer is back... But, here, Let me lick your face. Then will you pet me and then throw this stick? I seriously think you are the most awesome person on the planet. Yeaaaaaaa!!!"

Thyroid cancer is a total PITA... But dogs are great. A good dog can make just about anything OK.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead
I am nowhere near Arkanas, otherwise I would call them up!

I imagine getting the news from Frankie would be much better than getting it from a doctor.

I'm imaging a dog in a white lab coat: "Yeah, the cancer is back... But, here, Let me lick your face. Then will you pet me and then throw this stick? I seriously think you are the most awesome person on the planet. Yeaaaaaaa!!!"

Thyroid cancer is a total PITA... But dogs are great. A good dog can make just about anything OK.

Most definitely! I can take just about any bad news from a dog! LOL

new topics

top topics

join