It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student break into Houston Zoo exhibits during field trip

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Where were the teachers that should have been watching them?????

A group of students who were on a field trip to a zoo in Texas allegedly broke into several exhibits and harassed zoo animals.

The Houston Zoo is investigating the allegations after they discovered posts on Twitter concerning the accusations, as well as a photograph of a student attempting to touch a jaguar inside of the animal's pit that surfaced last week.

Several users on Twitter reportedly claimed the image of the student from the field trip last Friday in the jaguar cage is a freshman who attends Magnolia High School, according to Click 2 Houston.

Twitter users also alleged that students jumped into the elephant cage and broke into the bird exhibit plucking feathers off wild birds.

On Monday, the principal of Magnolia High School issued an apology to the Houston Zoo for the behavior of students.

PRINCIPAL OF MAGNOLIA HIGH SCHOOL APOLOGIZES TO HOUSTON ZOO FOR STUDENTS' BEHAVIOR DURING FIELD TRIP
Jeff Springer, principal of Magnolia High School's apology said: 'I would like to sincerely apologize to the Houston Zoo for the behavior exhibited by some of our students during a recent field trip.

'As the principal of Magnolia High School, I am not only embarrassed but extremely disappointed in the actions of our students.

'I take full responsibility and want to do what is necessary to mend the relationship that has been tarnished with the Houston Zoo.

'This type of behavior reflects poorly on our school and is not tolerated in our school or in our district.

'Our students have a social responsibility to hold themselves to respectable, high standards in which they are held accountable for their actions.

'The inappropriate behavior exhibited during last week's field trip is being addressed through appropriate discipline.

'Our mission at Magnolia High School is to develop responsible, contributing citizens in our community.

'This incident is not reflective of the environment of excellence we have here at Magnolia High School.

'We have a long standing relationship with our students taking field trips to the zoo.

'Again, I want to extend my sincerest apologies and take the appropriate steps to restore our relationship with the Houston Zoo.'

Personally, if I were Principal, take away ALL field trips, not just Houston Zoo. Make all the kids you know involved spend time cleaning the animal cages on weekends. If they refuse, press charges and have it put on their record, get them community service and part of community service is to clean animal cages. They are also to learn to care for the animals they harmed, or tried to harm. I think it's only fair. They need to learn the consequences of those actions and what they mean to that particular animal. For example, plucking the feathers of the birds. They need to learn specifically what those feather mean to that bird, and not just for flying. They also need to write a written apology for each class member, and the zoo staff. As well, the teachers who obviously were NOT paying attention to their charges would need to be there during community service. If they refuse, transfer them to another school. It is obvious high school is difficult work for them and they need a more sedate environment. So therefore, give it to them and hire a teacher more in tune with the students needs.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
What a bunch of sick little buggers. Sorry some of the caged animals (in the Zoo) did not exercise a little on the spot payback..

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
What a bunch of sick little buggers. Sorry some of the caged animals (in the Zoo) did not exercise a little on the spot payback..

My thoughts exactly! It's a dang shame some of the animals couldn't have gone a little nuts on their tormenters. Goes more towards those who raised them, than their wild nature. You know that if the jaguar took a bite out of the idiot, that would only give the idiot an excuse to sue the zoo and put the jaguar down. So sadly, I guess the idiot is lucky.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I know teenagers do stupid things--it's part of the rites of passage to adulthood, I think. But this is just ridiculously stupid. I had almost wished the cat gave him a good swipe but then I thought the same thing--if the cat had attacked him, the zoo would have had a lawsuit on their hands. No one wants to take responsibility for their (or their kids') actions anymore.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Hpw did students get into cages with dangerous animals? how did they get close enough to the birds to pluck their feathers?
thio story sounds very dodgy to me.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
Hpw did students get into cages with dangerous animals? how did they get close enough to the birds to pluck their feathers?

I agree! I do think they need to learn to care for these animals so they can see what damage their actions may have caused these poor animals.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
*Deep heavy sigh*

I dare to blame this on spending too much time watching idiotic reality tv, and movies like Jack@##.

Apparently even the warnings of "Don't try this at home!" falls on deaf ears.

I mean, seriously, what goes through kids' heads these days?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
*Deep heavy sigh*

I dare to blame this on spending too much time watching idiotic reality tv, and movies like Jack@##.

Apparently even the warnings of "Don't try this at home!" falls on deaf ears.

I mean, seriously, what goes through kids' heads these days?

and

I think that about sums it up.

edit on 3/11/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson

I agree. Check out the much better photo on this link: www.nydailynews.com...

Note that the photo clearly shows fencing below the level of the "table" and the shadow of the same fencing on the top edge of the table. The person in the photo is probably outside a fence and the photo simply created the illusion that there was no fence. That doesn't mean that the students weren't harassing the animals, though. The student has something in his/her hand.
edit on 11-3-2015 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Well, Texas is a big rodeo state where adults set the poor example of tormenting and harassing animals in a public arena. It is no wonder these kids thought the zoo animals were fair game.

Sallie

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: SallieSunshine
Well, Texas is a big rodeo state where adults set the poor example of tormenting and harassing animals in a public arena. It is no wonder these kids thought the zoo animals were fair game.

Sallie

Before you go disparaging all Texans, bear in mind this story is a hoax.

The kid is OUTSIDE of the jaguar cage.

edit on -05:0021153472015-03-11T10:47:21-05:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

I'd be willing to bet that there are two fences for that jaguar cage and the kid is over one of them. Zoo's wouldn't usually have a dangerous animal like that be able to be touched by just taking a step forward.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pimpish

I'd be willing to bet that there are two fences for that jaguar cage and the kid is over one of them. Zoo's wouldn't usually have a dangerous animal like that be able to be touched by just taking a step forward.

I worked in a zoo 3 years ago while making a movie.

The big cats were in single walled compounds with only a railing to keep people back from the chainlink fence.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

So we're pretty much in agreement, he jumped over at least one barrier to get to where he could touch the animal.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

So we're pretty much in agreement, he jumped over at least one barrier to get to where he could touch the animal.

No.

There were enclosures without railings in the 'backstage' area.

I can only comment on what I see in the picture, which is a hoax.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Animals in zoos are pretty much brain dead from inactivity and constant torment from the parade of humans in close proximity, and these jokers thought it would be funny to compound their misery.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

originally posted by: SallieSunshine

Sallie

Before you go disparaging all Texans, bear in mind this story is a hoax.

The kid is OUTSIDE of the jaguar cage.

Reporter on the news states, the kid was INSIDE the Jaguar cage

0:56 of 2:00 video

Security found out after seeing tweets online after.
edit on 3/11/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
BTW, before this is put in a hoax bin, I doubt very highly a high school principal would be making a public apology to the zoo IF this were a hoax. Just a thought guys.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

No.

There were enclosures without railings in the 'backstage' area.

I can only comment on what I see in the picture, which is a hoax.

Wait....so you are expecting us to believe that there was simply that single waist high chain link fence between all zoo patrons and a jaguar? And that you worked at a place that did the same?

Are you kidding or just trolling? That cat, with one swat, could kill a man twice that kids size. Sorry, but I do not believe you....I have been to plenty of zoo's in my life and never have I seen an enclosure with any animal that could potentially kill a human like what you are claiming....that would imply a illegal backyard petting zoo.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It doesn't matter what precautions the zoo takes.

www.google.com...

Pages and pages. I have seen it for myself. Something as simple as wanting a better view ...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join