It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Damn You Bill Gates! Damn You And Your Evil Creation!" or "LOTR 4 - To Linux And Back Again"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
yea actually I would..and maybe I could teach you something because I have an accolade that proves that I'm a smart arse
edit on 11-3-2015 by Leprekon because: cause negra I'm from the ghetto

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Leprekon
sorry for snapping back at you, I don't think you deserved it either.
We don't need this kind of stuff here we can agree on that. I'd rather you stay on ATS than be discouraged because you butt heads with me or someone else here so for that im gunna say sorry if i offended you and i reacted.

edit on am30000003115Wed, 11 Mar 2015 06:44:02 -0500 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
yea your right I'll apologize as well...things did get out of hand really my fault so it's cool dude
edit on 11-3-2015 by Leprekon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   

heres some Lost woods to make amends. Peace brotha and hope you have a great morning/night. it's 4 Am here so im gunna pass out.

I did enjoy talking to you tho. Hopefully hear from you again sometime.

As one gamer and ATSer to another *Fist bump*

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Must be west coast or close I'm in the middle 8 am here screw that noise how about some iron maiden the trooper instead...Yea that was interesting you probably will my name isn't hard to miss neither is yours so *fist bump*

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

Wrote games for my Commodore 64. Then my Amiga

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: pheonix358

Speccy specs as requested! - but those are literally going to be different tomorrow. Since I got this machine so cheap I was able to order a better graphics card ( GeForce 960 OC ) and a mSATA drive for the motherboard.

In short, that should boost my specs, particularly in read speed and graphics quite a bit - and both of those items will arrive UPS tomorrow

-cut do to derp-
Windows 8.1: Outside of the loss of the start menu (easy fix to just install one of the many selections, and cut out the metro screen) I actually quite liked it. I am looking forward to the free upgrade to windows 10 also.

Windows 10: I am gonna upgrade to this once its gold, mostly for its development potential. I plan on trying to do a lot of work with the hololens

Hololens: This, I feel if the price is somewhat reachable to consumers, will alter the face of gaming far more than the VR headsets will. I am still however looking forward to what the Vive brings to the table for games...
edit on 11-3-2015 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr

All systems previous to Sega were MOOT. I played Atarri. It wasn't that great. The joystick was annoying.

The intellivision I owned was perhaps the coolest thing ever. all the kids in my neighborhood eventually got one and we had a ton of fun on them. played the hell out of it.
Shortly after that, Nintendo came out..Legend of Zelda, Rygar, etc..good games.

Atari came out earlier..my first console..actually I was a bit too young for it, my older brother had it and let me play now and then. I was fascinated by it though..tanks, missile command, etc. Soo many good titles, good being relative of course considering before Atari, there was nothing..coulda got a odyssey or something, but nobody really had that.

Anyhow, point being, console gaming has been around for awhile now. and has always been mind blowing. now a look back is laughable at how primitive they are, but at the time...

We are now entering the headset/vr age of gaming. we are dealing with the Atari 2600 models of this time, and of course the reaction is stunned joy at how awesome it is. in 20 years, we will be laughing at how primitive these clunky bad resolution headsets are, and some may say there was no vr headset until the 2025 model of whateversbigthing brand.

I am happy I seen what can be seen as the birth of home entertainment gaming. I hope to be around to see the VR/holographic entertainment catch fire, and even the birth of the next thing after that (nanocloud games maybe?)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
-cut dp
edit on 11-3-2015 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
dp

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

There is no better feeling than building your own rig and firing it up for the first time and when it comes to gaming their is no better option-you can tweak the INI files, tweak the graphics, and the mods...

But with great regret I chose to go with consoles. No comparability issues, no constant upgrades and no crashes that had nothing to do with the game. at first the PC optimization was fantastic but it became a chore, I prefer the simple 'press start to play' nowadays and the money I could've used constructing a decent rig bought me a Playstation 3 and a Xbox 360. I had to make a choice and I'll stand by it.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Yeah there was some good titles for that interactive thing xD I think that's what it was called. The controller for the intellivision was big clunky and had to many buttons.

I don't remember mine having missle command on it but then again it was a long time ago. And when i was playing with it Sega had already came out. The system i was playing belonged to my uncle i think. Atari was just terrible lol i had pac-mac for it and the controller was kinda gimmicky. Pac man never moved in the way i wanted him to. I remeber those kinds of joysticks only having like a Dpad like function so it made it difficult to run around the screen. There was some other games too i can't remeber xD

But as for virtual reality games. That's one scene my parents missed for us and with good reason i think. There was lots of eye problems with the VR headsets. People having headaches, They were big and clunky just like you mentioned and us being tiny kids. It would of defenantly been a strain on our tiny heads the immense weight of one of those things. Even for me an young adult now it would still be really clunky lol.

But i can see VR getting to the point where you are saying. We have the oculus right now but it kinda has the same problems the previous generations of vr had which was eye problems and the object just being to heavy on someones head. The VR of the future will be lightweight. Won't make someone blind and will have a fully interactable scanner that scans your body well you move so you can move in the real world and the virtual world.

For me even at a super young age i envisioned the VR of the future.

It would have a tread-mill. And when you run, the thread mill would scan an would move along with your strides. The Headset tho would be wireless and would mount to someones head almost like a hat sorta. I envisioned the future of first person shooters used by the military. I had so many dreams about this. The military would use these type of treadmill VR devices to train their soldiers. And when the soldiers finally went into combats. They didn't physically actually * Go * to combat rather. They would have a robot they controlled from these treadmill points. And wars were fought by * gamers* if you want to call them that.

People could tumble and roll on these treadmill things and it would keep them in place seemlessly. So when in active combat, they could literally pull off james bond moves and not fall off the threadmill * it was wide enough to allow a pretty good tumble but not like.. trying to jump super far in one direction lol. And for some reason in my dreams they were all voice interactive. So people would have to physically tell the machine to disconnect them so the roller treadmill below them would stop keeping them in the center of the device.

Of course these were just dreams i had when i was like 5 or 6. Bizzare i still remeber it. At the time i thought... what if i'm in a Matrix right now? And im just some virtual reality chair simulating the Universe. This happened before the matrix movie even came out. But i think anyone who sees a VR headset could jump to the same conclusions and i think the matrix movie was entirely based on the exact same ideas the creators of it got when they saw a VR headset. Just a step beyond what the average norm were thinking. I don't think the Universe is just a game simulation lol but it defenantly had me thinking. Then the matrix movie came out and i contemplated it even more hahahahha

But i think my dreams will come true, i might just see soldiers using remotely controlled robotic humanoid drones that will fight for them via Virtual reality.

I watched a movie called Double Dragon and in it that's where i saw VR with that rollercoaster game lol. Man i havn't seen or heard of that move in such a long time. Double dragon was also a dystopian future.

My parents programmed me to be a sci-fi prophetic tech junky O.O cuz all they would watch were movies that wernt appropriate for kids hahahahha. I still watched my regular programming as well as kids movies but when it came to mommy and daddy movie time. I would see things like Pumpkin head and pumpkinhead 2. Chucky IT and the likes. Chucky wasn't even scary. It was Pumpkinhead that was giving me nightmares. Hooolllyy that movie series was terrorfying. Looking back at it now. it's still pretty terrorfying but also really cheasy compared to a lot of the newer movies... actually alot of the newer horrormovies are nothing but Cheese. I take the cheese comment back for pumpkinhead now that i remeber. It was just a terrorfying movie series and its still pretty disturbing even to this day.

Summoning a demon from hell that is more Ancient that all of mans knowledge, It will murder anyone the summoner dislikes at a whim and won't stopped once the * Order* is given. And the only way to stop pumpkinhead. Is for the summoner to get killed. It was and still is, a very brutal horror movie concept.

Sorry to talk about movies hahaha xD general chit chat.

But yeah VR of the future will be robotic drones fighting each other on the open battle feild.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: AnuTyr

Wrote games for my Commodore 64. Then my Amiga

THANK YOU LOL

Commodore 64. That's what that system was i was playing. I thought the thing was some weird gaming computer.
TO MANY BUTTONS MAN. Intellivision wasn't even as bad. but Commodore 64 was just brutal trying to figure out as a kid.

Thanks for finding the name for it. By the time i was playing that thing it was already kinda old when i picked it up. And sega was better in its own way but Commodore 64 had some interesting games for it.

I defenantly remeber playing one. Both of my Uncles were heavy into electronics and games. My uncle on my mothers side give me his Commodore 64, on my dads side my uncle gave me his atari. or rather gave the stuff to our family * Outdated tech* since it was the 90s. They just bought new computers and my uncle on my dads side preferred Sega over the Nintendo. My dads other brother was the one that grabbed Nintendo. Somewhere among that time frame we picked up a nintendo system too but it was used and old. Sega Genesis was just so much better in terms of graphics and speed.

I would consider Sega Genesis the real begining in what modern consol games are based off of the same as nintendo only nintendo had no 18+ raited games. Where as i teched every mortal combat game in the series on the Gensis lol. And bloody Roar.

I thought those were the most brutal awesome games of it's time and nintendo was to censored and had little creative freedom. Nintendos mascot is a plummer who jumps over barrels to save a princess that probably got kidnapped because mario was a dick to Dr.kong. That's what it felt like anyways cuz mario would jump on donkey kong after and basically beat him up xD i was like what is this. I don't want to play an animal abusing plumber that saves princesses cuz princesses are lame.

Then super nes came out and changed my oppinion of mario slightly. I now thought it was sorta cool cuz instead of just donkey kong, Mario literally caused social disorder and destruction across the map in super mario world. Watching Yoshi fall to his death many times also left a sour aftertaste for mario. It was bad enough mario punches yoshi in the back of the head to make his tongue come out.

Honestly, Mario is a psychopath. And i only enjoyed playing mario because he was overinflatingly Psychopathic. It was blatenly obvious.

That's why i never liked him personally, I prefered luigi. Luigi was a lot Cooler even tho he was also an animal abusing misguided fool. Who only did so to impress his brother he loved a lot. That part of the whole game story and everything really made me even hate mario even further, I began to resent him and kids everywhere were like YEAH MARIO. and im like mario is a loser, Nintendo should just delete him. But they kept him as a mascot and everyone was so oblivious to the psychopathic nature of Mario.

I still hate him kinda. Even tho my parents got me a 3DS mario hard case i was like.... yay -_- but oh well lol. I still appreciate it. Just not mario. He needs to be erased from nintendo permenantly.

LOL found this. Describes Mario perfectly. Glad i'm not the only one who noticed how insain mario is xD

edit on pm3u3115Wed, 11 Mar 2015 16:30:49 -0500 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
That's some adventure you had. I'll be sure not to make the same mistakes the next time I get a pc.
I have Windows 8 and it really does take some getting used to. I'm still getting used to it. One good thing about it is that Command and Conquer runs on it. A friend of mine gave me a copy of Zero Hour that has all of the Command and Conquer games on it, including Renegade. I love Generals and Zero Hour. Renegade is cool, too. I was surprised that it was a first person shooter but it's still good. The earlier games in the series remind me of Atari or Magnavox Odyssey games, graphics wise. I really haven't gotten into them yet.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

There... you touched on the caveat that is seemingly getting missed. Your dads custom built computer probably had some pretty high end parts and the graphics card or GPU ( or both ) probably cost a small fortune during that period - whereas an Xbox could be had for $199 bucks.

In fact the real limitation on the first Xbox was not the gaming system itself, but what TV you happened to be willing to buy. In 2003 I was still using an old CRT television to game on - and our flat screen sat in the living room basically for company and movie night as it cost so much the ex and I lived half in fear of touching it. We were not poor - in fact we were pretty well off at that point. But I think we paid about two grand for a huge TV - a size and type that, today, you can get at Walmart for about $400 - off brand.

Things were different in that period and consoles were the best "bang for your buck" option.

The point of the OP ( at least the gaming tangent of it ) is that the paradigm has truly and fully shifted now. For less than a grand I have a PC that shames both major consoles on a massive scale. In fact I have dual monitors that would have cost a small fortune even a few years back - but now they were $150 for both ( thanks to FedEx being horrible and the seller being nice with a $50 credit for my hassle of having to wait an extra day ).

The yardstick I can use - from firsthand experience - is the game Morrowind. I loved and still love that game ( In fact it, and the entire Elder Scroll Collection are sitting a few feet from me right now ). On Xbox the graphics were incredible for that period. I loved it. Then a friend told me about modding and skins and I decided to get it for my PC ( which, as already mentioned, was not cheap and was considered pretty top of the line ). The graphics were terrible when compared to the Xbox. There was so much stutter and screen tearing that I didn't even bother installing mods nor playing on the PC again.

I suppose I could have gone out and bought a top of the line discreet graphics card - but at that point in time they were extremely expensive for anything at all decent. A ton of cash spent to get slightly better graphics than a $199 console? It didn't make sense. And since my job wasn't anything that involved rendering - I had no excuse or need to possess anything that expensive.

Now? Now I wouldn't own an Xbox One nor a PS4 if it were given to me ( Well, actually I would take a free one, but it would not get used much as paying $70 and up for a game is just not something I am going to do ). But if I did have one it would not hold a candle to what my well considered PC purchase is capable of.

Plus I've got some pretty good upgrade headroom still. I can upgrade the graphics card in this ( though anything major would also require upgrading the PSU ) - and I can also jump into a higher end i7 CPU if I wish. The easiest upgrade is RAM and I plan to upgrade that next month - adding an additional 16 gigs, for a total of 24. That's actually way too much RAM but I've got a coupon and am going to end up paying about fifty bucks for the new RAM. So it's a why not sort of thing.

I spent a large part of today benchmarking this system with Unigine Valley and Heaven and it smoked on both. Even on the highest possible settings I was still getting around 60 fps on a $199 graphics card.

In my world it's not having the best of the best just to be able to say that you've got it. It's about the best value and performance for price. In that regard, the Xbox ( in the 2000's ) and this PC ( now ) both totally live up to that desire.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join