It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major survey shows gun ownership declining:

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: IvanAstikov

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: Spider879

This all looks like bunk. For one thing most folks these days are not going to claim to own a gun. Plus the breakdown according to political party and race is simply hilarious.

There goes that "most gun owners are honest citizens" argument.

There's a world of difference between being honest and being a dumbass. Honesty is not using your firearm to ill means, being a dumbass is openly telling anyone that asks "Yes, I own a firearm!"

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

This all looks like bunk. For one thing most folks these days are not going to claim to own a gun. Plus the breakdown according to political party and race is simply hilarious.

There's a world of difference between being honest and being a dumbass. Honesty is not using your firearm to ill means, being a dumbass is openly telling anyone that asks "Yes, I own a firearm!"

I agree, no one needs to know what I have.

And if I have to use it, well, be glad that I had it.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Just so you know, buying someone else a gun ala a "strawman purchase" can be considered a crime.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Presuming they are legally allowed to possess the firearm in question, gifting firearms to a spouse or offspring is 100% legal and not covered under the federal strawman laws.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The people I know who own guns, tend to own many guns. In fact I do not know anybody who owns a single gun. The people I know with kids tend to not want them in their homes aften telling me when the kids grow up and move out they would like me help them pick something out. And nobody I know who owns guns has any problem talking about them.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yeah, like I keep saying on multiple occasions about polls...

What kind of numbers are we talking about here? 32% of 1,000 people is 320 folks. That's hardly enough to say that American gun ownership is on the decline.

These polls are stupid and anyone who quotes one and then goes on to claim that it represents what's going on across the country is wrong.

To further drive my point home, this is from the OP's article:

The 2014 survey was conducted March 31-Oct. 11, 2014, among 2,538 American adults.

So, approximately 812 people from the survey claim to own, or live with someone who owns, firearms. That number and percentage is so off base is absolutely absurd.
edit on 3/17/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: Snarl

Just so you know, buying someone else a gun ala a "strawman purchase" can be considered a crime.

Them dadblamed anti-gunners are always coming up with words to put freedom loving folks in jail, ernt they?

Did they come up with a grandfather clause or a statute of limitations for that one?

Personal to: MrSpad

My son only owns one ATM ... and a Samurai sword.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

This is 100% true. I work with a guy that moonlights at a gun store...he's had to say no to several people trying to buy guns for some drunk guy out in the parking lot.

I was surprised at some of the stories he's told me about the types of people that come in to buy guns. Drunk people, high people...

He always brags about his discounts to...

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

Flyless. But they do have a single button.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The results, or at least partly, don't seem right with all the gun controversies to climbing sales being discussed. Wonder if it was a paid in direction to sway the public away from ownership. After all the NSF, who funded this, has come under fire in the past for with claims of being dishonest, attempting to contrive the public.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I am having a hard time thinking of anyone I know that doesn't own a gun or two.
edit on 17-3-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

Flyless. But they do have a single button.

LOL... or I suppose in your case, that'd be bahahaha!

Sorry, couldn't resist, Ultralight.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
I am having a hard time thinking of anyone I know that doesn't own a gun or two.

Again it might have everything to do with your geographical location, for me it's the opposite I knew of no family member or close neighbor who owned a gun, and I only saw one wanna be Jamaican Posse member that obtained one illegally, but then again NYC is not the world..btw things did not end well for him.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Glad you didn't resist, Cyngis...
It is futile, ya know.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Again it might have everything to do with your geographical location, for me it's the opposite I knew of no family member or close neighbor who owned a gun, and I only saw one wanna be Jamaican Posse member that obtained one illegally, but then again NYC is not the world..btw things did not end well for him.

You are probably right. Your post made me remember a statistic. 97% of Americans will wake up enjoying the freedoms others died for, and only 3% would fight for them.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

You are probably right. Your post made me remember a statistic. 97% of Americans will wake up enjoying the freedoms others died for, and only 3% would fight for them.

Don't get me wrong I don't think the the regular folks in my community were push overs, they participated in the political life of the city, they were hard working immigrants , some of the older heads were vets going back to Vietnam and Korea , yet they never developed a gun culture maybe out concern for the protection of kids like me, who could get their hands on it like we did their liquor cabinet in the basement, or a lack of facilities for practice and safety,but in the end only cops and criminals were armed so I wouldn't judge them thus.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

Glad you didn't resist, Cyngis...
It is futile, ya know.

Aye, only if your the borg, or leave an opening for a pun as wide as the Eisenhower Tunnel.

Or in the case of the OP, a glaringly obviously biased poll, such as this.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong I don't think the the regular folks in my community were push overs, they participated in the political life of the city, they were hard working immigrants , some of the older heads were vets going back to Vietnam and Korea , yet they never developed a gun culture maybe out concern for the protection of kids like me, who could get their hands on it like we did their liquor cabinet in the basement, or a lack of facilities for practice and safety,but in the end only cops and criminals were armed so I wouldn't judge them thus.

You seem to be implying that those families that own guns don't have a concern for the protection of kids. You compare the gun cabinet to the liquor cabinet....lol!

You honestly (no disrespect intended) do not understand these families. I'm not surprised. There are lots of folks out there that don't. But, our children are taught from the earliest age to respect guns. They are ingrained with the rules of safety, understand the reverence for the Second Amendment, are taught how to handle a firearm from loading to shooting to cleaning to storing. My oldest relative is in his 90's and he has been handling firearms since he was six years old.

Millions and millions of folks own guns. When you hear about a tragedy, it breaks your heart. But, millions of gun-owning families never experience such. Just like automobiles. You hear of a careless accident and your heart breaks, but yet millions of drivers go about their day without ever having one.

So, when you say "gun culture", understand the full scope. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

You seem to be implying that those families that own guns don't have a concern for the protection of kids. You compare the gun cabinet to the liquor cabinet....lol!

You honestly (no disrespect intended) do not understand these families. I'm not surprised. There are lots of folks out there that don't. But, our children are taught from the earliest age to respect guns. They are ingrained with the rules of safety, understand the reverence for the Second Amendment, are taught how to handle a firearm from loading to shooting to cleaning to storing. My oldest relative is in his 90's and he has been handling firearms since he was six years old.

Millions and millions of folks own guns. When you hear about a tragedy, it breaks your heart. But, millions of gun-owning families never experience such. Just like automobiles. You hear of a careless accident and your heart breaks, but yet millions of drivers go about their day without ever having one.

So, when you say "gun culture", understand the full scope. Thank you.

Again I m saying inner cities like NY is not conducive to a gun culture , I would't know where to find a gun range in NY as a kid, I am sure they exist but never heard of or saw one near my neighborhood. and the term gun culture was not meant to be negative,my first time handling a gun was boot camp at age 17.
Your car comparison is also apt for another reason , most NYCers use mass transit, folks from the surrounding areas make up a greater portion of drivers, thus unlike folks in say California never developed proper a car culture.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

How is not wanting to disclose personal information to a pollster "not being honest?" That's stupid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join