It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major survey shows gun ownership declining:

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The number of Americans who live in a household with at least one gun is lower than it's ever been, according to a major American trend survey that finds the decline in gun ownership is paralleled by a reduction in the number of Americans who hunt.

According to the latest General Social Survey, 32 percent of Americans either own a firearm themselves or live with someone who does, which ties a record low set in 2010. That's a significant decline since the late 1970s and early 1980s, when about half of Americans told researchers there was a gun in their household.

I don't feel it, not with all the noise about gun control pro and con.

The poll finds half of Republicans live in households with at least one gun, which is twice as high as ownership among Democrats or independents.

People in higher-income households are significantly more likely than those in lower-income households to own a gun, the survey finds. Gun ownership rates also vary by race, with 4 in 10 white Americans living in households with a gun compared with less than 2 in 10 blacks and Hispanics.

Blacks and Hispanics are also more likely than whites to support requiring a permit to own a gun, although large majorities among all three groups support requiring a permit.

Interesting demographics those who are more likely to be affected by gun deaths tend to shy away from guns..less than 2 in 10?? wow!

news.yahoo.com...
Klik^ for full article.
edit on 11-3-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Interesting, I am surprised because I remember reading so many stories in the past few years about record gun sales.

Gun sales boom on Black Friday: Almost 3 background checks per second 2014 (CNN)

MILLER: Obama backfires, gun sales in 2013 smash all records (WATimes)

Gun Sales In 2012 Set Record, FBI Data Indicates (HuffPost)

Gun sales at record levels, according to FBI background checks 2011 (CNN)

I guess I own more than one, so why wouldn't everyone...
But it still seems a little strange to have that many years of record gun sales and then report low gun ownership.

edit on 11-3-2015 by Elton because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

This all looks like bunk. For one thing most folks these days are not going to claim to own a gun. Plus the breakdown according to political party and race is simply hilarious.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Fewer people willing to disclose.

Bet this, I armed both of my kids when they moved out (and told them not to say anything or show them to anyone). Based on that my family's gun ownership tripled. I wouldn't even be able to count the numbers of people I've 'helped out' with their first firearm.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   
It may very well depend on where they carried out the survey I am guessing, cities on the coast may have less legal guns especially NYC, where it is frown up on, but I don't see it for down south and out west where gun tradition is strong even among Black and Hispanic folks.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Why does this "news" article feel like propaganda?

The only people I know who DON'T own a firearm, are my elderly parents.

However, this little gem just makes me laugh:

The drop in the number of Americans who own a gun or live in a household with one is probably linked to a decline in the popularity of hunting.

Since when was firearms ownership based solely on Hunting?

And for that matter, hunting doesn't seem to be in a decline, either, as the licences in my state are almost always sold out.

Perhaps it's just where i live.. but.. This article feels like bullpucky.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   

So this poll expected people to own up about having a gun or not?
And when in some places recent laws have made ownership illegal without the gun owners even moving a muscle?

The totals are dubious and the fact that a question about political party affiliations went along with it sounds fishy to me.
By who touts it you will know them.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

This all looks like bunk. For one thing most folks these days are not going to claim to own a gun. Plus the breakdown according to political party and race is simply hilarious.

There goes that "most gun owners are honest citizens" argument.
edit on 11-3-2015 by IvanAstikov because: speling misteak

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I don't even have to read the article to answer this one.

This is called hunker down...I'm going off the grid. No acknowledgement of gun ownership avoids potential scrutiny down the road, especially if the rules get tighter....

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

I agree. Even in CA, shooting ranges are always full and when we go to the desert to camp, there's always target practicing going on somewhere.

Question....have you actually felt bullpucky?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: IvanAstikov

And if there was talk about banning wine glasses going on, a lot of people would suddenly not be so open about owning those, either.

When I sat down with a calculator and worked out estimated firearms in this country vs citizen vs how many firearms your average firearm owner had, I came to about 30% of the population being armed.
The agenda will move forward as planned- those in charge have no problem with a 30% death rate when overthrowing a country.
edit on 11-3-2015 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: IvanAstikov

That's seriously screwed up logic right there.

I'm an honest person but will never disclose what I own. I don't care if it's guns, guitars, TVs or whatever, what I legaly own is none of your business.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I suspect they are misinterpreting the survey results a bit. I would reword the conclusion:

"Major survey shows that less people are disclosing their ownership of firearms."

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is a silly survey when you look at the number of applications for guns.....obviously there are plenty of people who do not want to tell a random survey guy they own guns. If a random survey came around asking if you had an alarm system at your house, or a dog, would you answer it honestly? Sorry, but surveys like this are so skewed it is ridiculous. While I could care less if ownership was up or down, simply looking at the number of licences applied for tells me that this article is not very well researched......

License checks by state and year

If you check that link, you can see that for the most part the background checks for firearm purchases are on an uptrend....

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Why? Is there a law that says I need to tell some random jackwad on the phone my personal business?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I agree. Even in CA, shooting ranges are always full and when we go to the desert to camp, there's always target practicing going on somewhere.

Question....have you actually felt bullpucky?

Yup, ranges here, as well, and in a couple of outdoor areas are quite frequently in use.

Yes, I've stepped in it.. Extended family has cattle, livestock, etc. Fortunately, it's not too hard to clean off, but the smell lingers.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I've stepped in it, sat in it, washed it off my face....yeah, I get you.

I grew up ranching/farming. Have had it all. I presently have quite a heard of sheep grazing in back acres here, and added 4 new lambs to the flock just this morning. Makes me have faith in something, when I see little innocent animals born and take that very first step...hard to understand unless you've experienced it, I suppose. No doubt you understand.

uh, don't hold the sheepherding against me, cowboy.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
This survey only reinforces the fact many are now afraid to let people know they own guns.

If someone were to call me and ask if i owned a gun i would just hang up.

It would not be hard for a thief to get on the phone and call people claiming he was running a survey about guns and ask if you had a gun then hit your home to take the gun.

Or you can look at it the other way what would keep the cops from calling felons and claiming they were running a survey about guns.
Then of the answer was yes sending the swat team to there door.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

The last time I checked, a person is under no obligation, legal or otherwise, to respond truthfully or at all to some dipstick telephone pollster about anything.

Along those lines, I agree with the others who say that this poll likely has found that people lie to pollsters. And given the political environment and concerns about future bans among gun rights advocates, its not surprising that they would be reluctant to disclose what they may or may not own. Even the Gallup poll last year, which put this number around 42%, was probably something of an underestimate for this reason as well.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I've stepped in it, sat in it, washed it off my face....yeah, I get you.

I grew up ranching/farming. Have had it all. I presently have quite a heard of sheep grazing in back acres here, and added 4 new lambs to the flock just this morning. Makes me have faith in something, when I see little innocent animals born and take that very first step...hard to understand unless you've experienced it, I suppose. No doubt you understand.

uh, don't hold the sheepherding against me, cowboy.

I envy you there, that'd be nice to have animals around.. Cities don't like that much..

Just one question, Sheep-herder.. Are those button-fly jeans?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join