It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia is suing the NSA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Eight other organizationss, including the ACLU, Human Rights Watch, and Amnesty International are joiing the suit.

Wikipedia filed a lawsuit on Tuesday challenging the constitutionality of the National Security Agency's mass surveillance of Internet communications, a sudden and striking challenge that comes nearly two years after Edward Snowden's disclosures first began.

"By tapping the backbone of the Internet, the NSA is straining the backbone of democracy," Lila Tretikov, executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation, wrote in a blog post on its website. "Wikipedia is founded on the freedoms of expression, inquiry, and information. By violating our users' privacy, the NSA is threatening the intellectual freedom that is central to people's ability to create and understand knowledge."

In a strongly worded op-ed also published Tuesday in The New York Times, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales and Tretikov argued that "pervasive surveillance" on its hundreds of millions of visitors has a chilling effect that "stifles freedom of expression and the free exchange of knowledge."

Wikipedia's lawsuit specifically claims that the NSA's use of Upstream exceeds the authority given to it under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which Congress amended in 2008.

Last month, a California District Court judge dismissed part of a suit that challenged Upstream by arguing he could not rule on the case due to national security concerns.

Good for them for going after these guys! It's about time someone did! I hope they win their lawsuit, but considering the government and judges and all that jazz, I won't be holding my breath!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
There aint no pockets deep enough to get a result, but good luck to them.

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Good luck with that...

Let's see how many people wind up drowning in bone dry bathtubs, overdosing on 5 baby aspirins, have a mental break and eat a bullet, etc.

I hope someone will attempt to keep a list at least.

I hope with all my being that they can win and collect so much that the NSA feels it for years and years to come, but reality has obviously jaded me far too much.
edit on 3/11/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Last month, a California District Court judge dismissed part of a suit that challenged Upstream by arguing he could not rule on the case due to national security concerns.

LOL...facepalm. what a joke...so in other words...they can not be sued...? due to national security...

Insert Nelson laugh.

Great system.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Even if they win, I don't think they can be stopped. How would we even know.

It's too lucrative to be able to monitor and control all senators, judges, and other rule makers as well as inside trade and control the markets and competition.

Massive private encryption projects need to take place, and criminal charges need to be filed.

As well as a microscope on the unpatriot act imo

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

LOL...facepalm. what a joke...so in other words...they can not be sued...? due to national security...

Insert Nelson laugh.

Great system.

That one had me as well. I'm waiting for some of nonsense reason as to the rest of the suit being tossed. You guys have ruined me. I used to be a somewhat cynic. Now I'm an all around cynic. LOL

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Only national security because someones gunna take that data back in such a case if they lose the court case.
Replaced by billy maise. Donno it rhymed. I can do this for days....
edit on am3u3115Wed, 11 Mar 2015 03:19:07 -0500 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Watchfull
There aint no pockets deep enough to get a result, but good luck to them.

Peace

Exactly .. But i still admire the people that refuse to sit back and allow it to happen anyway .. even when the odds are stacked so highly against ... Its still the right thing to do .. with the right attitude .. and this kind of forward thinking, is what gets the ball rolling, to get publicity, and get other people to do the same, and realise .. yeah .. we are not going to sit back and let you walk all over us either ...

Through my life, i very often meet people who's instant responds to my attempts to make my world a nicer place, with, ... "what's the point" ....

well the point is .. that just cos the task is soo insurmountable ... if everyone thinks like the people in my experience.. we will all sit back and let the ugliness do as it pleases.. while we all just sit back and moan and cry about it and do absolutely nothing about the injustices we live in
when dark entities know they are not going to get much or any opposition to their dark ways ... they are even more inclined to go ahead and do as they please, cos they are soo used to doing what they want, and having the people just moan, and do nothing, and say, what can we do .. no point .. pockets aint deep enough to get a true victory, so no point .. Is faaar from a even rempotely deterring them from doing as they please. Perhaps if more people fought the powers that be, as opposed to each other .. teh powers that be, may be slightly more deterred from being so blatant about not giving a damn about any of us ...

no ... nothing else to be gained from standing up to wrong doings....just go home, put the TV on again, and wake up tomorrow feelin less frustrated, as we accept again, this is the way it is, and we cant do anything about it, so whats on TV tonight to watch, and wither another night of life away.

if everyone thought like me .. as in .. i dont care how huge this is .. i am not going to cave, and will continue to do what i know is right, regardless .. if every single other person had this attitude ... many of these problems we live in today, just would not exist, or would have been fixed already
edit on 11-3-2015 by Segenam because: editing is a great way to pass the time ...

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Albiet, It should be a threat of national security that all the NSAs data is just sitting in St.Lewis. Ready to be hacked by anyone at anytime. Snowden did it, Well rather. He had some hacker buddies do it for him. But if he can get some randoms to do it. How many people are leeching from the NSA right now?

That means not only are the NSA watching us, But when the NSA is watching the world the world is watching the NSA watch the world watch everybody.... So what the NSA knows. Everyone knows.

Not such a smart system. Lets download everything at once and have generic firewalls with generic * Top end security programing* what ever that means.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

So a corrupt judge sighted national security concerns.........This is the country we live in and men like this are shameful.

Eventually the people will see this straight and many people are going to stand trial.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Another 'good for them!' from me.
Will it get buried? Probably.
But with that many human-rights organizations attached to it, they will get somewhere deeper than an individual would. Hopefully that will generate a lot of support and put pressure on the Courts to respond appropriately.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

So a corrupt judge sighted national security concerns.........This is the country we live in and men like this are shameful.

Eventually the people will see this straight and many people are going to stand trial.

NSA steals everything, Your texts. That phonecall you had last weekend. Pictures of your dog. They have it all. Including credit card numbers, Social insurence numbers. License plates, Criminal files. Locations of military bases, weapons.

Secret alien technology
Email adresses with passwords, Pretty much almost every interaction with the internet is tethered back to St. Lewish and i think there's another major hub in North America then is tethered out to where ever on the other side of the ocean via those big satellite dish thingies. The signal is broken down from there and sent via cell towers but all kinda link together at the server hubs which is where these people (NSA) are scanning all the information in and out. Well all the information that reaches those server hubs. Google pretty much dominates the internet right now lol and is partially owned by the NSA as Google was purchased by the U.S federal government from what i believe.

Same as facebook was bought out, Google and facebook are controlled by private militarized organizations in the U.S and NSA is just one of those private militaries federally funded. Technically is not government but is it's own *Thing*. Well its a federal government thing and not the democratic government that deals with laws.

From what i understand anyways. I'm just kinda ranting i could be wrong lol.

I think if the NSA lost. Wikipedia would get a good chunk of that information or who ever.
I know the right thing would be to leave the information confidencial and to not share it but also just stop the NSA from doing what they are doing but at the same time that's not how the law works. These companies would basically be fighting for all that private juicy information me thinks.
edit on am3u3115Wed, 11 Mar 2015 03:41:24 -0500 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Wikipedia guys are probably pretty upset that NSA has been doing too much blatant editing on Wikipedia

top topics

join