It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Responds To GOP Letter: They Don’t Even Understand Their Own Constitution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
addictinginfo.org

Iran’s Foreign Minister, Dr. Javad Zarif has issued a response on behalf of Iran regarding the open letter sent to the Islamic Republic of Iran and drafted by Republican Senator Tom Cotton and signed by 46 other Republican Senators. The response is nothing less than damning and highlights the (new) international embarrassment the Republican Party has brought upon the United States. In the statement Dr. Zarif, stated:

“In our view, this letter has no legal value and is mostly a propaganda ploy. It is very interesting that while negotiations are still in progress and while no agreement has been reached, some political pressure groups are so afraid even of the prospect of an agreement that they resort to unconventional methods, unprecedented in diplomatic history.”

Iran: GOP letter on nuclear negotiations a "propaganda ploy" (CBSNews)

Zarif "expressed astonishment that some members of Congress find it appropriate to write leaders of another country against their own president," a press release explained. "It seems that the authors not only do not understand international law, but are not fully cognizant of the nuances of their own Constitution when it comes to presidential powers in the conduct of foreign policy."

He warned that a change of administrations would not relieve the U.S. of its obligations under an international agreement reached under the previous administration. Any attempt to change the terms of that agreement, he added, would be a "blatant violation of international law."

An understandable response, the USA doesn't usually break all their treaties when an administration changes.

edit on 11-3-2015 by Elton because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Elton

The GOP out of touch with reality?! Say it ain't so.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Well I would have been ultra surprised if Iran took "The Letter" in a positive way.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Well this is good news for Hilary. Maybe it will take some of the heat off of her and her email scandal.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Well I would have been ultra surprised if Iran took "The Letter" in a positive way.

Indeed, Iran hates Obama enough already and took the money and ran when they saw this opportunity to discredit the USA even further.

The only way to negotiate with Iran's current leaders is to not be the incredible wimp that Obama already has been. They never respected sissies just like they don't respect their own women.

Iran is on the same level of garbage can as the White House is and all the two will ever do is "mix each other's stench together, make a lot of noise, and still end up the same, with or without a bunch of congress and senate people squawking.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   

It's official, dems support tyrany.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: kevinp2300

You do understand that foreign minister is harping about "international law" which actually is not going to be binding Congress if they decide to upset Obama's apple cart in this game. And you can't claim he would be ignorant of such tactics given what Iran has done along several lines of actions over the years contrary to "international law." So his words are mere propaganda also. And why not? They all are politicians with their own purposes.

+25 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

The Iranians pointed out, embarrassingly, that they know more about the US Constitution than about half the US Senate.

What a bone headed ploy on the part of these Senators!

What stupid attempted governmental overreach if not technically treason! (And it is treason under the Logan Act.)

And somehow, this national travesty demonstrates that "Democrats support tyranny."

Amazing!

+18 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Granite
Congressmen breaking US and international law is tyranny. What they did was not an act of congress, what they did is a felony. I hope to see them prosecuted.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Promises and agreements with US government regardless Dems or Reps

Means absolutely nothing

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The Democrats did the same thing a few years ago. They sent letter to Manuel Noreiga when they where not happy about what President Regan was doing. What is happening is political theater. However, IMO the POTUS is overstepping his bounds once again. Yes he does have the authority to make a treaty, but it is up to Congress and Senate to approve it. Just because a president says it so noes not make it a law.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

Correct, it's not official or law unless nutty Mr. Netanyahu says so!

The idiots who signed on to that embarrassing letter have once again shown just where their loyalties lie, and it is not with the USA or it's people.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The deal is still in the negotiating process with other foreign countries. When a deal is met, the president sends it to the senate, where it can be debated, ratified or not ratified. These 47 republicans who are trying to sabotage this want war. There is no other logical conclusion for this letter. Hope their constituents are happy.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

They were not surprised by the wanton evil of US politicos. They dealt with Cheney, Rummy and the Reagan campaign to trade arms in return for keeping US hostages locked up until after the election in 1980. So US treason is not new to them.

They released the hostages on the day of the inauguration in 1980 and were richly rewarded with arms contracts. Conservatives are really the most deluded bunch you could ever meet. I should know, I used to be one.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

You do understand that foreign minister is harping about "international law" which actually is not going to be binding Congress if they decide to upset Obama's apple cart in this game. And you can't claim he would be ignorant of such tactics given what Iran has done along several lines of actions over the years contrary to "international law." So his words are mere propaganda also. And why not? They all are politicians with their own purposes.

You're right international law won't be binding to congress in this but there is an American law called the Logan act that will. Hopefully the White House will pay attention to the petition that people have signed and charge those 47 traitors accordingly.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I thought it was arrogant of the Republicans to say that they were going to break Obama's treaty once they got the chance. I didn't know they were uneducated as well, and that it would be breaking international law to do so. Although I'm not entirely certain the letter from Iran was accurate about this, because I'm not an expert in international law either.
edit on 11amWed, 11 Mar 2015 09:47:01 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
a reply to: Granite
Congressmen breaking US and international law is tyranny. What they did was not an act of congress, what they did is a felony. I hope to see them prosecuted.

Members of the government or police hardly ever get prosecuted for committing felonies.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
You know your party has derailed the crazy train when you got Iran schooling you on the constitution, lol.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Do you realize the republicans have no idea what the agreement will even look like, yet they oppose one entirely?
Nothing in the constitution says that the senate can prevent the president from beginning talks on a deal.
The GOP letter first stated “it has come to our attention . . .that you may not fully understand our constitutional system.” This coming from a senator who has served for 2 months and has no foreign policy experience. The foreign minister is mocking the GOP's tone. Netanyahu and the republicans have been hellbent on starting a war with Iran for sometime now. Where was Netanyahu when North Korea developing these weapons? And where was the right wing?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Your post reminds me of when the invasion of Iraq was being whooped up. I was sitting on the West coast listening to news about North Korea saying they would send missiles to America....duh, that meant landing on this side of the US.

But, noooo, Iraqis, whom I saw every night on the news, on a loop of footage, rolling a donkey cart with some bomb looking thing on it, or Saddam playing with a sword, being talked about as people I should fear because they would get me with WMD!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join