It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music You Know and Love but Most Do Not...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Some stuff from the 70s/80s.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma
My dad is the left handed bass player. Thank you

and I Love that version of Mad World

edit on 4/10/1515 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Crawley.. .heh... top 40 radio from my prime.. .Joe is incredible.. . and always liked that Squeeze song...

and that was your Dad on that 60's tune? Cool... I have a relative (old and long deads, now) who got in the top 40 back in the 30's or so with a song called My Shadow, My Echo and Me...

Here's one that made me a life long Residents fanatic... more like their usual stuff than the Kaliga cover... weird and oppressive as they can be, they are gifted and if one can endure some of their darker stuff, it pays off (Gingerbread Man is another, newer fav) but here... acid can be a helluva drug...

The Residents - Man's World

edit on 4/11/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Yep, it's music from my prime too.

I've tried to be objective but I can't escape the conclusion that the best pop/rock music is from this era. The vast majority of the stuff I listen to is from the 1970s (also bits from the 60s, 80s, and 90s). The vast majority of pop/rock of the present day is complete and utter manure.

and that was your Dad on that 60's tune?

Sadly no.

That's Martin75's claim.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Agreed, but sometimes I wonder if I've just turned into my grandfather. He played guitar too and used to ream me out about the stuff I listened to in the early '70s when I was first learning. He used to ask me "you've got talent, why do you want to waste it playing that crap?" I don't think it's the case, but still I wonder...

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Sorry, I knew it was Martin75, not you... I was just was trying to be concise in a one-post-addresses-all sense, and wasn't clear... as usual! Heh.

I feel the same way about the 70's - 80's and fear (with WTbengineer) that I am just like all the other anachronisms stuck in their prime ... but dangit, objectively, the music from that period was indeed more innovative... and lately, it all seems rehashed and derivative.

Really, "rap" and hip hop are the only new things since that era... and it started then, anyway.

Same with fashion... nothing wildly new.

I think it has to do with cheap mass communication... we've seen it all. The previous generations showed greater change in tech, art and fashion in a smaller time period... but we've hit a bit of a wall and have stayed pretty steady for a few decades.

I can't wait to be truly future-shocked!

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

And Olaru, that one was complex and neat... good musicians! Started folksy "adult contemporary" and got soulful and even a bit funky ... neat.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I think you've hit on a good point here. The biggest difference between then and now is the mass communication, the instant knowledge of anything and everything. It's like mixing a bunch of ingredients in a bowl with water, once they're mixed it's homogeneous. There's no more individualism to the elemental parts. That's what's happened here. With everything, not just music.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'm not quite so cynical. It goes with out saying that main stream, manufactured, media giant, entertainment isn't for the likes of us.
But with all the platforms available for new and creative artists; In fact I see a renaissance in all art forms, but especially music. In my ritualistic nightly youtube journeys, I find real, fresh, adventuresome approaches to all kinds of music and never fail to get totally blown away by some of the things people in the music threads post for styles and artists that I probably would never listen to otherwise.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

That and the song on the other side of the 45 were the only songs they put out.
But he enjoyed it and still plays music so as long as he was happy.

And he taught me my love for music, which is a great thing! (*this isn't my dad's band...just LOVE this man's music)

edit on 4/13/1515 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Does this count ?...i think i have just fallen in love....not with the music,which is good ....but..well you will see

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75
My older brothers loved Warren Zevon back when he was a new artist, and thus I ignored him to forge my new identity... but then they were right about Floyd, Beatles, Led Zep.. heh... so I'll give him another listen... thanks for the nudge.

And hopenotfear...etc... hot electric mandolin playing chicks works... as long as the music effects you as well as the musician! The music was okay... but I couldn't get disturbing scenes of self pleasuring out of my head... heh.

If we based our musical and artistic preferences on the artist's hotness, then it's over... er, actually, many already do... so maybe it IS over, heh.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I thought she said 'nuts in my hair' - I could relate.
We've all had one of those days.

Good plan, I'll back up videos with a link, for future readers.
You might like...?

Anthony and the Johnsons - Hope there's someone

a reply to: Olaru12

This thread is excellent, it's like those mix tapes my friends used to make up. I love this thread! You might like these guys:

Biffy Clyro - Biblical

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

If we based our musical and artistic preferences on the artist's hotness, then it's over... er, actually, many already do... so maybe it IS over, heh.

Well....

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Heh... well, here back! (Oh and I'm kidding... you never know and felt I had to qualify that Klaus was definitely unique, but not "hot" to me ; ] )

Klaus Nomi - Falling in Love Again

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hey you guyz,

What about Trower?

I like to think that everyone has heard of him but for all I know I live in a Trower-vacuum.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
And there's David Bowie ... take away the drama and make-up and the guy is still a musical genius... and also covers the "hot" spectrum depending on gender specific dress... but he is too well known for this thread...

but maybe Echo and the Bunnymen aren't.

One of my favs, these guys were innovative and I love most all of their stuff... but the album Ocean Rain is incredible

Echo and the Bunnymen - Killing Moon

EatBM - My Kingdom

Echo and the Bunnymen - Seven Seas

And maybe throw in:

Tones on Tail - Go

For something not so obscure ... but catchy.

edit on 4/17/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

Good call, Byby... Trower

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Here's a couple of Bands that kind of epitomize the alternative Pop genre. Not bad actually....

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Can I add my most favourite?

E&TBM The Cutter

new topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join