It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music You Know and Love but Most Do Not...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
a reply to: olaru12

You too! This thread is turning into quite a repository of quirky goodness.

Copy that amigo.....a welcome respite from the political mud pits. The mudpits are fun but depressing at times and these varied styles of music restores my faith that perhaps there is hope for us after all.

Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~Stella Adler

edit on 19-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

I got into these guys after being impressed with the drumming on Amy Winehouse's Rehab track. Turned out the session players came from the Dap Kings.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings would be Aretha Franklin famous in another time...

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

I lost my LP of this in the madness of many years ago, and i still miss it.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

That was a belter! I've still got it on vinyl (tee hee!). I also used to have 'The Damage Done' on a tape (which I made myself -press record, move record player closer, stop, change album, record, ad infinitum.....) and after it was this song. In a Skinner's pigeon sort of way, it came to mind as soon as I saw your song!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Oh yes, amen, me too, affirmative and even ditto! re: politics ('cause anyone who disagrees with me is obviously mentally challenged, heh).

And wanted to again mention Hank Williams is the great crossover for folks like me who've been elbowed by too many wanna be cowboys and think country music is for folks with too much inbreeding in their jeans... er, genes.

Although if one goes far enough back in their ancestry, all would find some incest... it's just that the usual country lover (and I refrained from adding sister or cousin) doesn't have to look that far back! (Ha)

But like your tunes, sir or madam... indeed.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Wow... never heard... now I have and am better for it... thanks!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Nice one.. .that had me dancing to the coffee maker... sucker for a dangerous beat.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Heh, one of my fav JD efforts... now, since that movie, every cool kid wears their shirt...which is fine and everything, but I remember that day when I heard Ian had hung himself and was so sad... but as long as we're playing alternative top 40, here's a pop song from them post Ian...

New Order - Blue Monday

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
And here's a lovely, happy little 'break-up blues' cover of Soft Cell's hit

COIL - Tainted Love

And another great, well known by some, ditty...

Butthole Surfers - Sweat Loaf

With an opening that was a ring tone for a long time... but seriously, I love these guys... all of it... sorry, heh

BS - To Partner (known as To Parter, too)

BS - Creep in the Cellar

Butthole Surfers - Mexican Caravan

edit on 3/19/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Here's a little shameless bit of self promotion of a music video I produced for the 48hr film project. written, shot and edited in 48hrs, quite a challenge. I'm not a big rap fan but this was a fun project.

www.youtube.com...

Here's another one that I shot for the festival circuit.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

If you don't promote you, who will? Yo momma?

But that was good even IF I didn't like you!

The take away, for me, was how odd it is that someone would pick up garbage only to place it in more garbage (the cardboard box) and that when he lifted the little girl off the ground under the bike, I would have had her head remain on the road, for shock value... but that's me.

Otherwise, pretty darned impressive for two days... I've messed around with film production back when (or more properly, messed around with a lovely woman who directed videos, heh) and know that is remarkable.

And noticed the adds (doing my bad editing habit, heh) ... I expect to like those, too!

edit on 3/19/2015 by Baddogma because: eta
:
yup

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Here's another we made for the band to use as promotion. Very quirky....quirky ladies as well...
It's a bit rough as we were pretty green to filmmaking and editing.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I've got a soft spot for Joy Division, it's true. If you can take a leap from Bernard Sumner to Johnny Marr (they were in Electronic together), then it's a good excuse for:

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

The Buttholes always were, and always shall be, total genius

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I was seeking to give you a proper middle finger by posting a photo of my Sister's 12" (jeez, not like that!) singles and found they went the same way as "Gift".

Now i'm really bummed

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Eh?
That's ok then.

My vinyl means the world to me. I thought I'd cracked Bela Lugosi's Dead (blue vinyl - I know, tragic) last week but mercifully it survived.

Sorry to hear your news though. Never nice to hear vinyl has gone to the great EP dustbin in the sky.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I could keep posting B-Holes all day... they are genius... really.

Most hear noise and silliness.. .and that's there, to be sure... and their live shows aren't exactly tight...heh ... but Leary's guitar, the beat... the unexpected riffs, words... there is a novel quality and complex coherence that amazes... and some of their anthemic songs rock, in the standard meaning...they're good tunes... and unique... but it doesn't hurt to be wrecked to 'get' them at first.

When stopped by a traffic cop with a carload of friends one said, "Chewin' chocolate," under his breath and almost got us all arrested from laughing inappropriately... luckily the cop was nice and determined we weren't dangerous.... just silly.

BH - Chewin' George Lucas' Chocolate - Goofy's Concern

But not usually a crowd favorite.

eta and losing my vinyl collection is a memorable loss.

edit on 3/20/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/20/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Yeah, i often have difficulty explaining how godly and delicious i find them... really getting them was ofc aided by nefarious behaviour when i found them way back when, but they can make me whoop and holler when stone cold sober too

here's something else a tad more sedate:

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
and while i'm at it, shove some Loop into yer lugholes!

Easily one of my favourite bands ever, and horribly underexposed/appreciated. I literally fell over due to aural assault at one of their gigs, no other help involved... they were appallingly loud and hypnotic

I totally lost their first LP too. I have most of my vinyl left, but lost some real bloody gems somehow :/

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join