It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Music You Know and Love but Most Do Not...

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 05:44 PM
a reply to: valiant

Uhm, sure.. .as someone they likely named the Peter Pan syndrome for, I agree, but would add that "growing up until dead (a definite downward turn) is REALLY for old people."

It's been remarked that I seem less like a middle aged fartster and more like the young, foolish hipster I was long ago, and either I have an inquisitive nature and thirst for new experiences that keep me young, a fresh supply of young blood in my fridge OR it's that spending a decade in a drug induced coma will keep anyone seeming younger than their stressed, evolving peers!

The Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedate(d)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:48 PM
a reply to: valiant

BD, you got an awesome mosh pit going on over here! Argentus, hi five for TSOL as that is one that everybody else had that I didn't so thanks for the jackboot up the side of the head to remember to go find some tracks.

And speaking of not growing up... I seem to remember that the reason that there was a punk movement was because there was a recession and politics sucked. Looks like we've come round, twice, through a recession. And politics still sucks.

Where is the anger??? Why is all this (waves hands around the last few pages) still relevant?

I do not think the problem lies with us. We remember. It seems like everybody else either never knew or forgot.

Pennywise - Society

[Thanks for love all! Sorry that over werked and under paid seems to be the bane of my existence. Looks at the clock-- seems like I might be doing another drive-by posting!]

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 01:53 PM

Yeah, the anger is still there, and things still suck, but the x'ers are just old and will stroke out if we don't do our calming exercises... "punk" is a weird term with several meanings (that maybe I should Wiki but just no)... I tend to define the meaning as anyone on the periphery who likes weird, alternative art/music/experience really, and is unsatisfied, rather than in the London Punk circa '76/or hardcore sense... and most of the hardcore thrash punk was fun to mosh to, but the music itself was hoooorrrible, which was the point, but really... and labels suck anyway, but come in handy when attempting communication... here's some punk-lite

Germs - Lexicon Devil (fast)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:58 PM
a reply to: Baddogma
I probably should not get on a soapbox...

It is about the music. The music we know and love but not everybody is aware of, right?

One of the best "new" punk bands that was around in the early 90's in the PacNW that I had the pleasure to see was The Gits. Their energy was awesome, the music was pretty good, the fact they were not some glossed up band contributed to their authenticity. If you ever watch the movie Hype! you will get a good overview of the "Seattle scene" at the time. The movie was going to go with the whole "Nirvana is the cause" but ended up with something more. I won't spoil it for anybody who has not viewed it because if you don't know... well, you'll see. Here is the big hit...

The Gits - Second Skin

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:07 PM

Get on a soapbox, you know you want to.

Wow, she (she?) has a great voice, I had to listen to that twice. This was out here at around the same time. You may or may not remember them, or know them or love them.

elastica - stutter

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:50 PM
Kevin Pearce and a group called: I Monster collaborated to create: Skywatchers.

I Monster.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:51 PM
a reply to: beansidhe
The Gits??... she. I went to the bar they were going to play at to buy a ticket. I just missed the sound check and the barkeep had to see to something. Got a beer for my troubles and I am just sitting there spacing out while the bartender is talking to the manager and getting me a ticket. Out of the bathroom walks this tall blonde with spikey hair, dressed in black, piercings, studded wrist band, combat boots, and heavy eye makeup. Not expecting this I was like "whoa" then our eyes met and I got a slight smile and "hello" out of it. She walks by and I put it all together, that is the lead singer Mia Zapata! I am glad about that story!!

Elastica! I love playing Waking Up on my guitar! It reminds me of learning how to play The Ventures so long ago.

Listen to Tsunami Bomb? I like this song in particular but I only have them on a live DVD so not sure what album it is on. The nice thing is I can turn on 'Close Captioning' to see the lyrics! (hehe)

Tsunami Bomb - Dawn on a Funeral Day

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 03:12 PM
This is a little out of left field. The editors at Guitar Player (???) magazine voted this band's album Bright New Day as the sleeper hit of 1993 (or '94, not sure of mag or year because it was so long ago). On that recommendation alone when I saw a CD in the store I picked it up. If you like funky, slinky, smooth, jazzy even, music with great guitar playing (his voice is perfectly suited too) this is for you.

I've listened to this quite often (hehe, just noticed that I am album centric and prefer whole albums than just a track or two!) and continue till this day.

Inclined - Somewhere in the Middle

edit on 4-3-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: tori spelling

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 03:22 PM

Yeah, heard OF The Gits, and now actually heard them... thanks for the solidified memory.

And punk being ALL about the music? That's not totally true (or culturally inclusive from an anthro standpoint), heh, but I "hear ya."

The music is the one thing linking people's definitions, so yeah... and jeepers, I love the music... but it's hard to split off the driving riffs and unpolished sloppiness of punk from some of the alt stuff, which used to be called "punk" too, until the sub divisions came... and the subdivisions of the punk movement itself (straight edge, surf punks, hardcore, skinhead nazi punks, heh)... ah, the simplicity of yesteryear!

CVB - Take the skinheads bowling

dead milkmen - punk rock girl

edit on 3/4/2016 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:31 PM
a reply to: Baddogma
Dead Milkmen! Kevin Smith was doing a speaking engagement here. He asked the audience if they could sing a Dead Milkmen song and it was all crickets. Except for me. I nudged my buddy and whispered
And someone played a Beach Boy's song
On the juke box
It was 'California Dreaming'
And so we started screaming
"On such a winter's day!"

But doing it acapella with no reverb in front of an auditorium... "uh, no thanks"

Saw Cracker! They ended up (well, the sound guy did) borrowing my Marshall when they went south to do a couple shows. I sold it to my buddy when I was hard up. I got a job and before I could buy it back he sold it out from under me. They had signed it too!! Grrrrr!

And yes, I agree, the niche market carp that management dreamt up to distinguish "their" band from others ruined it. Heck, I saw Pansy Division not because of some "cause" but because they happened to be playing!

What about bands that defy the pigeon hole? Like these guys:

Guided by Voices - Bulldog Skin

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:16 PM
a reply to: Hex1an

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:24 PM

and yeah... esp to pigeonholing ... is that akin to chicken effing?

If a band is "marketed" they immediately lose the "hip" element and even if the music is the best they've made, some jokers roll their eyes and cross them off the "cool" list... sigh.

That's the maxim in the modern alt music scene... if you "make it" you couldn't have been cool to start with, heh... the hipster catch 22.

Which reminds me of the hip, slickly marketed douche who is self styled as an even more retarded Johnny Dep but despite all of that revitalized "punk" ... curse him.

oh and I like Guided By Voices too... one of the few bands who I listened to at first purely from their name, heh.

edit on 3/6/2016 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:27 PM
I was warned, but I didn't listen. Now its to late....

edit on 6-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:39 PM
a reply to: olaru12

Lord ...picked a bad Sunday to play with the ol' neurochemistry like I was twenty again ... that thing is now going to run through my brain for ...what ...eight or so hours? ... or eternally if especially unlucky.

As always, "Thanks" Olaru!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:27 PM
tubthumping - chumbawa

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:02 PM

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:17 PM
a reply to: olaru12

I truly love that song now.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:25 PM
Takes me back to Ireland in 1991

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:44 PM

"Oh, God, not the David Gray-

edit on 8-3-2016 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:03 AM
Wild Beasts...

new topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>