It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music You Know and Love but Most Do Not...

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I've often considered making a gushing thread about these songs, which i regard as Queen's best, as well as the Dadd painting and related poems, but i'll spare you all and just leave this:

I know that Queen are anathema to some, so cleanse yourselves with some Eric Donaldson and possibly my favourite piece of music from the West Indies, ever. And that's saying something.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

"Title in Limbo" with Renaldo and The Loaf totally blew my mind when a grubby taped copy of it was first passed to me in a hazy room

just beautiful, in a messed up kind of a way.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Love that song, too... and it took years to realize that their name's acronym is EAT BM (eat ...er 'poop').

Still haven't heard a 'bad' one from you, 'Beenshay'... yet, anyway, not even the Smith's whinefest... and 64% are new to me... I am in your debt.

Oh and here... not obscure, but a shivery electronica gem that introduced me to Ladytron and I love all of it... yummy

Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch

edit on 4/18/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Skalla... Queen is great... musical genius... maybe hipsters knee deep in image eschew them as too 'normal,' but really, genius. Some bands are monumental for a reason.

Forgot about Donaldson, ty... and that Residents/Renaldo Title in Limbo was new to me... weird, twisted and lit up my neural connections like acid in my Wheaties... neat one!

Thank you. Hmmm... here's a fairly mainstream one that's not related to much except another big name from the 70's... like Queen, heh...

King Crimson - Ladies of the Road

KC - Cadence and Cascade

King Crimson - Lizard

edit on 4/18/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Crimson are a funny one for me, i think they are awesome but they became a band that i listened to when visiting certain friends.. the only album of theirs that i own is "In The Court Of The Crimson King" which is just beyond amazing by several magnitudes. And it took me about 20 years to buy that after i first heard it!

It's not easy loving many genres and artists though.. i almost had to decide to only go so far with certain stuff or i'd just have to lock myself away with a record player and tell the world to do one. Which i have seriously considered more than once, but resisted.

I always quite liked having certain friends who i would visit and encounter particular music that i kinda reserved as personal to them. Maybe that's a tad odd, but it's worked for me

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I like and know Alex Winter... but never, ever heard Colony House... heh.. .where do you find these acts? I'm gonna have to rescan for "shivers" as some songs need multiple tries... thanks.

Here's something that was wildly popular in the alt scene in the 80's .. .deservedly... The Violent Femmes' first album might be the best album from the 20th century... but here's a lesser heard song from Hallowed Ground that I love...

Violent Femmes - Never Tell

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Know what you mean... there's so much musical genius spread over so many genre's that one can't hear it all... so you have to settle on one or four... heh. K Crimson has the same feeling for me.. .certain friends loooove them.. .the guys with Asian decor, colored lights and a four foot bong, usually, heh... but there's a bunch of "art rock" I love along with the "good stuff".

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Yes, those are the guys!

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Mmm, that was shivery, shimmery goodness!
Since it's sunny and spring here in Alba, I can share some happy tunes!

Everyone knows this, but it's such a belter it has to be included just in case any younger ATS are checking out your epic thread.

And best VF EVER!!

I never realised Echo ATBM had that acronym, but now I do. This thread is like good school.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Shivery indeed... and if we're going to Femmes # 1 album, I'll post some of the best 80's alt, too...

and

Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime and Naive Melody

Some of the best songs ...ever
edit on 4/19/2015 by Baddogma because: add song artist for when videos are removed!

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
And in that 80's spree.. .cannot forget Peter Gabriel (before his sappy, mainstream phase) ... I Have the Touch, Solsbury Hill and Games Without Frontiers

and

and

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Once in a Lifetime is maybe the best song ever - well, at this moment! It'll change tomorrow.

Diamanda Galas - Gloomy Sunday

Hmm, love that woman. Sorry, three posts too late but to reply : I was going to be Banshee, since I thought that would be a good ATS name and I like beansidhe stories. But of course, banshee was taken and banshee6 or whatever seemed crap.
So I thought I'd just be a Scottish beansith BUT then I thought people would pronounce it bean -sith, like a star-wars legume. So I went for the slightly pretentious Irish, but pronounceable, version. Or probably not pronounceable, I have no idea.
Anyway, a story that boring deserves some kind of recompense

Kristin Hersch - Hips and Makers

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I can't stop reading The Stones of Time (Martin Brennan). I even sneaked it into work to finish a chapter. What a neolithic nerd.

Although his theory on rings being amulets representing the sun is brilliant. I can't stop myself talking about it, apologies.

A quick one with pictures of home.

Capercaillie - Coisich a Ruin

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I noticed you mention it earlier/elsewhere and that prompted me to get my copy out of the bookshelf - i got distracted and haven't dug back in yet, but i will later, so i'm sure we can share some reflections on it soon-ish. I keep meaning to properly hit your mega thread too, though between that and and the book it may be a few weeks

Ta for the Capercaillie, and i very much liked The Breeders and Lush too, i've still got bits of both left over from my teenage years...

Now, have some Spacemen 3!

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Wayhay! I feel the need to dig out an old Melody Maker now.

(New Model Army, Vengeance)

Yes, definitely come over to the Pagan Stones thread, you'd be brilliant there. It goes a bit wonky in bits, so I'd recommend the first part, and I'll write a synopsis at the end. It needs one anyway, because - excitingly - we've only a few to get!

This is my favourite version of this song, hope you likee. I feel like that malingerer at parties when everyone else has gone home. I'm still jumping on your bed in the morning saying 'ooh, and listen to this one'.

Nouvelle Vague - In a Manner of Speaking

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Here's a weird one for you. It's the kind of stuff I used to listen to when I was a kid (that was a long time ago).

Arthur Brown and Kingdom Come, album is Journey (I have an original). This was done after "Fire" and is part of the psychedelic era. I believe this was the first time the Bentley Drum Machine (a drum synth) was used on a recording. Arthur Brown went on to work with Hawkwind, Eric Wolfson and Alan Parsons. Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters is another pretty neat album (I have one of the original master pressings from United Artists).

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

As I can't see the video in the States, which song specifically?

I love them, btw... Fire is great, heh, loved that old video for it... and I'm old, too... but I was a gleam in Daddy's eye or a zygote when these guys commanded a stage... thanks in advance.

Heck, I'm going through their old stuff now and it's all pretty great!

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

That was cool... I liked it. Who can't love a big, stand-up bass played by a hot chick? oddly, that video was like a montage of my last 6 gfs... heh.

And here is my fav band ... cause they are warped, brilliant and incredible musicians that never got the serious attention they deserved... and this is a new one and is pretty good for a bunch of old farts...

DEVO - What We Do Is What We Do

But their old stuff is amazing... like

DEVO - Smart Patrol/Mr DNA

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Awesome... and don't worry.. .waking up to a chick bouncing on my bed from the previous night's party is an annoyance I can deal with .. .as long as she has good tunes or other skills, that is.

and more DEVO... 'cause we are all ...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join