It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanity's impact on Earth illustrated!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
You people couldn't give a # about the planet. As George Carlin said, you just want a nice place to live.

edit on 11-3-2015 by CallYourBluff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Ask the Mayans they cleared many forests and suffered massive starvation then Europe showed as universe's cruel joke

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

You don't have to give that up there are ecologically safe alternatives

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Why are you so cynical you don't know any of these people or they're contributions your whole sentiment is # it there maybe more viable ways to live but everyone is doing it who cares about our evolution and the potential of the first extremely conscious species on earth

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I think its to late.
some thing will happen to wipe most of us out.
biological would be my guess.
so much exotic wast, some thing will grow!

then in time the planet will heal,
over 1000 years?
then the people left will add it to the Bible as a plague....
sigh. and they will still Not lean from it.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: FyreByrd
Not my fault - back to business as usual. That, my friends, is the problem in a nutshell. "I've got mine, don't care about the cost to others or the future, so F-off."

Yeah? Other than post a comment on the Internet, what did you physically do today to improve the situation you care so deeply about? Recycle a beer can? Way to go!

I don't do anything heroic - only keep it constantly in mind. I buy mostly organic and local foods, use recycled paper products, recycle everything, compost, drive a third-hand hybrid 'cause public transportation in my city sucks (getting better slowly), don't buy crap I don't need, just the things anyone can do if they try. That's today for me....

Many hands make for easy work - as my Granny used to say.

edit on 11-3-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Yup it is quite amazing.

Humans are given the time to clean up their act. I'm still waiting to see if humans can acomplish this on their own.

It's that or the shapeshifters will do it for Earth. And it's not going to be pretty

Well it might be. But glaringly horrorfying at the same time. Well horrorfying for humans anyways.

In the meantime, Enjoy the show or participate. I don't care. I know the results already but it's fun seeing if fate can weave another path.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Products of capitalism, pseudo-communism, industrialization, rising ignorance and man becoming more distant of nature.

All of these problems can be traced back to population growth.
Sure the earth has a big capacity for people, but not for this kind of living. Sure there is enough place to grow food, but not like this.

Scientists speculate our growth will peak at 13 billion and then slowly go down again.

I hope we will never reach the 13 billion.

Anyone here ever read Isaac Asimov's book ''Caves of Steel''? Seems like we are slowly transforming into such a society.

''Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.''

edit on 12-3-2015 by Irishagalamandahudi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Sure, we have an impact on a very thin layer of the planet, and a lot of the stuff we throw around is inert and doesn't really interact much with the ecosystem, but for the most part we're just along for the ride. Our impact is nothing compared to a tiny little shift in the Sun's output, a few sunspots, or the amount of material an average volcano pumps into the air.

How can one be so oblivious? Do you really think that all the pollution caused by man's interaction is only a tiny little bit compared to Sun's Output for volcano gas? We are the main culprits of current climate change, even when taking every natural phenomenon in consideration.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

My opinion on the veracity of AGW aside, I will always contend that we could to a much better job in avoiding the abuse of our planet--EVERYTHING in moderation. But, if we want moderate trash heaps and energy production waste and deforestation, we need to really take a look internally at our own individual impact; we need to minimalize our consumption as a society (speaking only for America...other countries do as they will) and start reverting to a more self-sustaining type of living. If possible, grow much of our own foods, get away from a reliance on processed things, and quit lining up in immature droves to get the newest iPhone just because we want want want.

As much as these pictures indicate a societal problem (not all societies are like this), the societal problems exist because we don't put forth much effort on the individual level. That needs to change in order for these images to change.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: JameSimon
How can one be so oblivious? Do you really think that all the pollution caused by man's interaction is only a tiny little bit compared to Sun's Output for volcano gas? We are the main culprits of current climate change, even when taking every natural phenomenon in consideration.

I don't want to start yet another AGW debate, but that comment you just made is unprovable, and should not be stated as fact.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

What does any of this have to do with Climate change? Yes man has made it's mark on the Earth, but why jump so fast to man being the cause of climate change?

Are impact on Earth is nothing compared to other scientific findings.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: stosh64

Basic Native knowledge would never have created this beast we cal modern civilization today .

Many years ago I read a book called Ishmael. It described modern civilization and it's parting course with the natural rules of the universe as an early experiment in flight. The man builds the wings and leaps from the cliff and does in fact fly...success...for a few blissful minutes...until impact. As a civilization, I sometimes think we are fooled into thinking that our way is working, the false sentiment that nature can be "conquered" or "ruled" by man...we are flying...only because we have not impacted the rocky ground below yet. There are rules of nature all around us and they are infinitely more powerful than us measly humans. The earth is not in trouble...it will recover and has survived much worse than humans...it is humans that are in trouble. It might be years, decades or centuries...but we will either recognize the omnipotence of nature and abide by its' rules or it will eliminate us like millions of extinct species before us both large and small. That is just the reality of it IMO.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: JameSimon

I don't want to start yet another AGW debate, but that comment you just made is unprovable, and should not be stated as fact.

Not provable? This is like saying we don't fully understand the science behind Tornado's and thus they do not exist and are not dangerous.

I think people enjoy a false satisfaction in taking a position opposed to science. Or somehow confuse the investigative and objective nature or science with lack of certainty.

Or maybe it is as simple as that for many ...values, ideology and beliefs trump science...which would seem to correspond with what most of us see on a daily basis in public debate.

Maybe John Oliver can break it down for you..

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The only picture I don't agree with is the photo of the pivots in Kansas. That is not an actual satellite image, that is hundreds of images combined to form 1.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

True words .
Sometimes we fail to see the vastness of the earth and just how resilient and able it is to heal it's self .We talk about over fishing as if we will catch the last pair .When it's not abundant enough for factory fisheries to survive and prosper they close down .We talk about species becoming extinct but discover new ones every day .We discover species once thought to have gone extinct in the past .

Man will make it too .He is much more adaptable and creative not to ....peace

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: f4rwest

You must have misunderstood my position . I do not believe that man is causing climate change unless it's in his own home or yard by putting up wind blocks and the such .co2 in AGW is a none issue for me and most of the pro-agw science is messed up and misrepresented . Their models fail to represent reality .Without the models being correct or close they have nothing and with the models diverging from reality it makes me wonder how they actually represented the past . a little fiddle friggin around I guess .

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Thank you for these images, Rezlooper.

Also, I wanted to share something disturbing that I came across. We probably all know about the craters in Siberia... but there's one uh... thing recently:

"We have just learnt that in Yakutia, new information has emerged about a giant crater one kilometre (0.6 miles) in diameter," the deputy director of the Oil and Gas Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Vasily Bogoyavlensky, told AFP.

Perhaps it is too late to avoid the warnings in your book.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

Thank you for these images, Rezlooper.

Also, I wanted to share something disturbing that I came across. We probably all know about the craters in Siberia... but there's one uh... thing recently:

"We have just learnt that in Yakutia, new information has emerged about a giant crater one kilometre (0.6 miles) in diameter," the deputy director of the Oil and Gas Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Vasily Bogoyavlensky, told AFP.

Perhaps it is too late to avoid the warnings in your book.

Damn, a km wide, that's pretty scary. All that separates the air we breath from literally hundreds of gigatons of methane are those layers of permafrost in Siberia. Why are the blowing out like that now?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: f4rwest
a reply to: the2ofusr1

What does any of this have to do with Climate change? Yes man has made it's mark on the Earth, but why jump so fast to man being the cause of climate change?

Are impact on Earth is nothing compared to other scientific findings.

Jump so fast? This has been ongoing for decades.

What might some of those scientific findings be? Care to elaborate?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join