It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(business) Gamer Buys $26,500 Virtual Land (from ATSNN)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
If this is any indication of the future it seems the eradication of worldwide social reality is a winner in the entertainment stakes.

Is it really that serious? This is progression of society. That's why we use the phrase "online community", and I don't see how it's a bad thing. In the old world we here, being at the four corners of the planet, would never have the opportunity to interact socially as we do, virtual though it may seem.

Actually most, if not all trade is in virtual goods. Anything that you buy in the real world has a value only because other people value it, unless it satisfies a basic need. The only reason gold has any value at all is because people like how pretty it is. It has no real value at all in terms of usefulness, except in a few obscure scientific processes. Bonds and shares are even more "virtual". They are a measure of trust in a financial body. Even money only has virtual value; again based on how others value it and trust it.

The only difference here is that you can't actually touch the land that he bought. You can't stand on it and dig it up with a shovel. But you can't touch shares either; they're simply numbers in an electronic database. If the next Joe wants his "land" too, it's still a sound investment.

[edit on 2004/12/20 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Originally posted by zensunni
Here's the press release from the game's site itself as well as some info on the mmorpg if anyone is interested.

www.project-entropia.com...

I do play this game but not religiously .. while it is fun to play and it is free, it takes a very long and tedious trip to make it big unless you decide to deposit money into the game.

Free? Win money? Tedious!?!

Hrm, sounds like WarOfConquest on which I have plundered away thousands of hours in order to win tens of dollars.

Do I dare download another?

Could probably operate both clients simultaneously. Hrm.

I'm in.

Contact me zensunni if you're ever going to be in ATS chat and want to divulge PE tips.
I'll get ya hooked on WoC for your trouble.

I'm new to that game so I haven't actually made it big, and I really don't have any useful tips ... although .. always wear your noob clothes and make sure newcomer is set for your tag .. act dumb and if your lucky .. a rich one ll come to help .. lol happened to me, although i've already blown it all

[edit on 1-1-2005 by zensunni]

[edit on 1-1-2005 by zensunni]

<< 1   >>

join