It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Mars, Opportunity Rover Spots Weird Rocks Near Marathon Finish Line

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Very interesting shapes!

Lemmin's pics above , particularly 908, shows have in the background. Looks like fog, smoke, or mist...

Thanks all for posting these.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightFire

I would go as far as to say, something has already been found there and we are not being told considering there have been quite a few NASA images that seem to have been altered over the years.

I dont understand -

As far I can see Nasa are climbing the walls for something concrete to give the public to raise its funding levels - same with Seti.

On the other hand the clamor that something is being hidden also serves a purpose..ok carry on
edit on 10-3-2015 by Borisbanger because: ok carry on

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight
Yes I also noticed in lemmin's pics what looks like a boot print.
You can see it in three pics of the black rocks. Its probly nothing but it looks weird.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

...So my maths isn't wrong is it. You pleb. My facts are.

Forget the math. The OP's article tell us how far it has gone.

The article even says why they call it "Marathon Valley", and that's to commemorate the fact that the Opportunity rover would have traveled 26.2 miles to that point -- the length of a Marathon -- during the rover's lifetime on Mars.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lichter daraus
You can see it in three pics of the black rocks. Its probly nothing but it looks weird.

Peace.

First of all, Lemmins pictures are Not from the Opportunity Rover (which is the subject of this thread, and the subject of the OP's article. They are from the Curiosity Rover.

Lemmin's images from Curiosity are taken on Sol 901 and 918 (it is currently Sol 921 for Curiosity). However, Opportunity is currently at Sol 3954, not 901 or 918.

Secondly, that's not a boot print, but a wheel mark in that part of fine dust.

edit on 3/10/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Peace.

That's an imprint from the tread on Curiosity's wheels. You can even make out the pattern in it...
See here.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Can someone try to explain to me what I'm looking at here????

" 61 of 78
How Long Can This Go On?
[Pin It] Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Spirit recorded this fisheye view with its rear hazard-avoidance camera after completing a drive during the 2,169th Martian day, or sol, of Spirit's mission on Mars (Feb. 8, 2010)." www.space.com...
edit on 10-3-2015 by All Seeing Eye because: Edit to add information

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: All Seeing Eye

It's a hood over the top of one of the rovers' rear hazard cameras (either Opportunity or Spirit).

I have a GIF from another thread from a few years ago that will clarify. Give me a few minutes to find it.

Edit to Add:

Here is that GIF:

Here's another image taken as Opportunity first rolled off of its landing craft that may even further clarify that what you are seeing is a hood (with a reflection):

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Oh well no big deal just thought it was weird, but now I know it was from a wheel so not so weird anymore.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: All Seeing Eye

It's a hood over the top of one of the rovers' rear hazard cameras (either Opportunity or Spirit).

I have a GIF from another thread from a few years ago that will clarify. Give me a few minutes to find it.

Edit to Add:

Here is that GIF:

Here's another image taken as Opportunity first rolled off of its landing craft that may even further clarify that what you are seeing is a hood (with a reflection):

Thank you for your reply.

I must say, at first, its a pretty good explanation. But you know me

Is the rover damaged in any way? I ask this because being a fish eye lens it should give the view of a semi circle on its upper view, and straighten out to a straight line as the camera turns up. It should be a perfect semi circle, not one that fluctuates and appears to be bent up and down, to accommodate the outline of the "Reflections".

Also, because light can be seen to shine through some lower parts of these reflections, I feel these are not actually reflections. After all, what is the center item reflecting? There is noting below to reflect except for dirt and rocks.

I think they are actually items bolted onto the shield. The shield must be very thin in order to warp as it has. Made in China???

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

First of all, Lemmins pictures are Not from the Opportunity Rover

My mistake. I had just noticed that Curiosity had stopped at a group of rocks on the ridge of a valley and has been drilling and dusting the same spot for two weeks!

I need to pay more attention.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

Those three dark patches at the edge of the hood (the rectangle in the middle and the irregularly shaped pieces on the two sides) are just some other non-reflective parts of the "hood".

I call it a "hood", but it is actually the underside of the rear solar panel. The rear hazard cameras are situated under that panel, and the panel cantilevers out over the cameras. I'm not sure what purpose those dark parts of the underside serve, but they could have something to do with the solar panels.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is PeopleProbably correct. The center rectangle actually looks like a cut out of the shield, and what is seen is the underside of what ever is above the shield.

Again, thank you for the info

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Peace.

Yeah. Even I was wondering about this boot print. Its not natural formation for sure.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei

Peace.

Yeah. Even I was wondering about this boot print. Its not natural formation for sure.

It's a wheel mark from the rover (The Curiosity Rover). It shows the same pattern as the rover tread.

It's probably not visible elsewhere in that image because that may be the only loose soil in that image.

Here's another image taken by Curiosity on the same day (Sol 901). You can see a similar print in the soil in the lower-center of the frame, and a bunch of wheel tracks toward the right of the frame, near the visible part of the rover:

Source and larger image:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Lichter daraus

Saw that as well, figured it was a track mark from the Rover but why it's short and not have another one paralleling it is questionable.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Wood complete with Woodworm.??
Lol nice find

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

Peace.

It's a wheel mark from the rover (The Curiosity Rover). It shows the same pattern as the rover tread.

It's probably not visible elsewhere in that image because that may be the only loose soil in that image.

Only loose soil. You are kidding right?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Lol nice find

Just a old martian Railway sleeper, nothing to see here, move along people.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Indeed a nice find, Soloprotocol ...
Do you happen to know on which sol that image had been acquired?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join