It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The meaning behind reoccurring dreams

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Has anyone, reading this, had reoccurring dreams of impending doom that seemed very real? For instance,I have had the same dream since a very young age of standing on a beach and the water suddenly disappears. After a few seconds though, the sky slowly turns black and a wall of water looms over the horizon and begins to race straight towards me. Right before it crashes onto shore I wake up and every time I have it, it just seems so damn real. The strange thing is though, that I started having this dream before I ever traveled to the ocean. Its really quite strange as I have had this dream at least twice a year for the past thirty years. Every time I go on vacation, to the coast, I seem like I cant relax as Im always keeping an eye on the horizon. Now, dont get me wrong, I love the ocean and could live on the coast, but it just seems strange that I feel like Im always on alert while there. Could this mean something, a sort of premonition, or is it just a deep fear of things we cant control?

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
How long have you been having this dream and how freqeunt is it?

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
How long have you been having this dream and how freqeunt is it?

I have had this dream at least two or three times a year for about thirty years now. It's kind of strange as it is always the same dream with nothing changed.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I read about a woman who kept dreaming she was eaten by lions. The dreams ended when she found out it was how she died in a previous life.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I sometimes have reoccuring dreams, and also dream-in-dream, too. Very funny, but I never thought of any meaning to it, it would make me paranoid. I only say: cool!!

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by skychief
Has anyone, reading this, had reoccurring dreams of impending doom that seemed very real?

I have many reocurring dreams. One of them is where looking out to sea from the mountains to see that the major towns in my view have been destroyed by cyclones and that more are heading my way. It always seems very realistic and never changes.

Maybe there is a metaphoric meaning behind such dreams?

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I had a dream that the world split open all around me. Lava was everywere. I died but I didnt wake up I watched the rest as an outside observer looking at my family die. I have had it twice now

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Anyone believe in genetic memory?

How is it that organisms are born with certain innate knowledge?

Instinct, a concept well known yet not oft given much more than a passing thought. The concept that defines instinct is interesting and well worth your research, but for now it sets our foundation.

Now think of the possibility of "specific instinct", or memory passed along within genetic code. As in the duality of recessive and dominant gene expression, these "memories of a past life" are often ignored, or unexpressed in favor of direct stimulii, i.e. everyday life.

Now the nature of dreams is such that we download are sensory perception on a daily basis, but why would that be necassary? Well it's to establish an action/reaction association with regards to how each experience makes you feel.......your dreams help to assimilate your feelings(anxiety and lack thereof which help to determine your ability to take controlof a situation or let things happen around you;also "fight or flight response) , and thus how you'll react in the future to similar situations.

Paralytic Fear. That which you are familiar with if you've ever gone into shock; i.e. someone sneaking up behind you and surprising you is a good example though a mild one because your immediate understanding assuages the fear. This type of physical reaction leaves one of the most vivid impressions upon memory as it is a response to survival. Such as memory is made possible by biological means, it would stand to follow that such a reaction would leave a physical impression. If Evolution is assumed to be true, these reactions and the resulting behavior in response would restructure the genetic code.

Given the above to be possible, could it be possible that sometime in the past a tidal wave actually occured creating this biological record? The flaw in this arguement is that to have experienced a tidal wave is to probably not survive and pass this on, but a survival count isn't completely unrealistic. I have very similar dreams in that tidal waves are looming and there is a constant need to get away(flight response, which indicates to me that I have a subconscious fear torwards water, waves, etc. since I do not fear water openly). On a side note, the last time I had a similar dream I was wading on the shore in shallow water and eventually swam into the tidal wave. I'm still attempting to understand completely what it means but it pleases me nontheless.

I suggest you attempt to not only remember the mechanical/literal details of your dreams but also how you feel about the situations you dream about. This should allow you some insight with how you interact with the world and no doubt prove an interesting topic of ponderance.

BTW, the genetic memory thing is a theory I have, but everything else is based in fact. Good Luck.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Interesting post there MemoryShock and interesting theory, as well. It makes sense to think that some memories could possibly be "passed" on to future generations. It could also explain the phenomenon of past lives as one might actually be expierencing memories of past relatives. We are all really nothing but water and energy in a mixed up "chemical" soup so whos to say this isn't the case.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Thanks - if you have any questions in the realm of dreams feel free to ask - I'm one of those self-proclaimed experts!!! Also I would welcome the oppurtunity to converse on this, my favorite subject.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Well, Memory if this is your favorite subject then I would love to hear your theory on why we in fact we do dream and if we can learn anything from these dreams. Also, do you believe we have the ability to see future events in our dreams as I always seem to expierence this strange phenomenon (man, I got to use phenomenon in two consecutive posts...rock on)?

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Ow, Ow, you've twisted my arm..

Allright, I'll address your post one thought at a time. Feel free to ask for more specific info and I'll try to the best of my ability........

Why do we Dream?

Every organism interpretes its environment through 5 senses, but at any given time dependent on the physical need or focus only one sense is being used, usually sight.....How many times have you closed your eyes to enjoy an aroma? At any rate, the brain is still percieving the world with all of its senses, the word subliminal essentially means "below conscious perception". in order for the brain to process all that it has perceived it "dreams". Dreams are the assimilation of all direct and peripheral perception into long-term memory for the purpose of interacting more efficiently with your environment by "re-experiencing" recent sensory perception. But the important aspect of this "re-experiencing" is how you feel, i.e. whether you feel comfortable or uncomfortable in your dreams. Understanding this is where the fun begins.

Can we learn anything from our dreams?

Absolutely, positively, beyond a doubt Yes!! That's the whole purpose for dreaming is to learn about your environment, and keep in mind that environment includes physical, social, and mental realities. Now as I was saying in an above post, how we feel about something warrants the amount of attention our subconscious will attend to it. For the sake of arguement, we'll use anxiety as a reference since all of our actions are affected by the intensity of it. Now what is it you want to learn.......whatever it may be hinges on how well you interact with others and the activity you involve yourself in.....knowing how and why you react allots you the option to change how you act.....since dreams are the summation of all ingested information by which our behaviour is based upon, it would stand that understanding our behaviour would help us to more efficiently interact.....essentially what you stand to learn from increased awareness of your dreams is a better understanding of 1)yourself and 2)the world around you. (If you want to know more about what you can learn from dreams, you'll need to be more specific
)

As to the seeing of the future via dreams, the brain is an incredibly sensitive and calculating organ. I would imagine that precognition could be explained by intuition, anticipation w/ regard to pattern recognition, and individual interest/focus and the intensity thereof.........I'll have to think more on it as I haven't really considered it.

I suggest some research into the phenomenon(3 posts and countin') of Lucid Dreaming. I'll have some additional thoughts beyond any of the media you'll encounter so I'll save it for when you've familiarized yourself with the subject. Let me know when that happens.

Have Fun and if you want further clarification, feel free.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Memory, it's great to talk to someone who has such knowledge on the state of dreaming. I have so many questions as I have always been interested in this subject. I could google my questions, but hey I have you right here. I'll be nice and only shoot a couple of them at you at a time. Does lack of sleep, which in turn means less dreaming, have an affect on your memory? Can you learn something from all dreams or is it only the ones that affect you emotionally? I have read that one should keep a notepad next to thier bed and right down thier drems immediately upon waking. Do you practice this or is their a more efficent way?
The precognition that I was discussing earlier has almost become laughable to me as it occurs almost daily now. It's nothing important or useful just simple little things in everyday life that pop up in my dreams and then take place while I'm awake. One thing that I have noticed though, is that when I'm sufferin from sleep deprivation, due to work, they occur more frequently.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I used to dream I was caught in Tsunamis. A few times I dreamt of the end of the world - the next morning after one of those dreams my father heard someone on the radio blabbering about the end of the world, freaky. Oh, also dreamt a lot about being in wars. Not so much anymore, only when I was younger. What does this mean? Overractive mind perhaps.

- Nazgarn

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
The dream you described(except for the sky turning black) sounds like a tsunami to me. I saw a show that said if the canary islands volcano has a landslide it would cause the first megatsumani in the last 4000 years and completly destroy the eastern coast. They said it could happen anywhere between now and a thousand years. Maybe your forseeing that.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Well, I'm not sure how to begin my response to your post, but it's such a fun subject for me. Doh! Okay, I'll just start with my own dream history...

When I was about twelve, I moved to the deep country from a quaint little suburbian town that I adored. Now, prior to the move, my parents joked around with us about coyotes howling at night not realizing how terrifying that would be for me and my sister because they grew up in the country and it was normal for them. I had about a five year series of nightmares about being out back (we had 80 acres) hiking and in broad daylight the coyotes would see me and chase me home. Each time I had the dream, the dogs gained about a foot or so...it was an incredibly slow gain. One night at the end of my dream sequence, I got infuriated, stopped dead in my tracks, turned around quickly, gave the coyotes the most evil glare and simply told them (as if they understood) that i was tired of this crap! I was NOT going to deal with this anymore! And f*%$ OFF!!! ::blushes:: Well, the coyotes turned around and walked slowly away with lowered heads (as if pouting), and the dreams ended. However, with the end of that dream came another series of dreams that frightened me for years. Finally, I took my own fears, faced them head on...and another series ended and I began to fully question and understand why I dreamed the things I did, what they meant to me, and now I very rarely have a bad dream, and if I do, I face it and end it. One of the last bad dreams I had was about my bf. Unfortunately, when I met him he was nearing the end of his divorce, but it wasn't yet in the works. He had left her on several occassions before, but when he and I met, he had enough and left her once and for all. Well, a couple of months into our relationship, I fell in love with him fully, but I was afraid I was making a mistake based on how the relationship began. I dreamed he cheated on me, but when I woke up, I simply confronted him with the dream and my insecurities. He convinced me it wouldn't play out that way, and I coped with my own possibility of loss prematurely knowing that I would go on like I did after my own recent divorce and possibly be happier to be in complete control. It's been six or more months since that happened and I haven't had the dream since nor has it been a weighing thought in my mind.

What I would suggest to you is to consider the possibilities such as:

- are you afraid of natural disasters (i.e. tidal waves and hurricanes)?

- do you love the ocean on good days but fear your love will lead to self-destruction?

- do you just detest there being any situation where you aren't in control?

- is this dream merely representative of past issues of bad luck or failure?

- have you always been drawn to the ocean yet (as stated before) always feared the consequence of a move?

Only you can think about this one long enough to figure out exactly where your fears lie, but based on the discomfort you feel on vacation, I would definitely suggest there is an underlying fear that has to be faced. I would also think that you need to come up with a solution immediately such as:

- moving close to the coast but not so close that you fear in danger of tidal waves

- move to a home that has a good solid shelter or have one built at your current location (I think you said you already live near the ocean)

- consider moving near a great lake where there is an abundance of water activities but not the dreaded ocean fear

Again, only you can solve this.

I have to say that I doubt you can rely on past lives to be your scapegoat on this one. I too have pondered having had a past life, but it's my personal belief that one can bring only positive from a past life and to think otherwise may contain a much deeper issue. However, that is just my personal belief and anyone can feel free to have another. I feel we dream in this life to help us through this life.

Best of luck to you!

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Sorry, that was a longer post than I realized. I try to keep them short. Better luck next time

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Does lack of sleep, which in turn means less dreaming, have an affect on your memory? Can you learn something from all dreams or is it only the ones that affect you emotionally? I have read that one should keep a notepad next to thier bed and right down thier drems immediately upon waking. Do you practice this or is their a more efficent way?

Lack of sleep does mean less dreaming, however in healthy people the effect on memory is usually just in the form of absent-mindedness, I.e. misplacing something. Lack of sleep also impcts reflex time and motor functions...all of which are corrected with sleep(trippy huh
). Lack of sleeping could have some benifits - forced activity(mild and safe) through exhaustion gives you a chance to experience your bodies entering theta brain state, a state of mind characterized by vivid daydreaming(if you concentrate) and the onset of sleep. Experience hear would be helpful trying to gain more awareness in REM sleep.

As to the second question, learning from your "feelings" is not how it sounds.....you're trying to ascertain the level of anxiety you have with regards to the situations in your dreams which in turn corolate with anxiety in real life. Think about this for a second.....the ability to not have a knee-jerk reaction in a world designed to make you react over and over again cannot be understated. Instead of reacting you'll then use your time focusing on details you hadn't before. To "learn" anything starts and can only start with a better understanding of why you do the things you do and dreams are a great way and maybe the only way of gaining that insight......

Keeping a "Dream Notebook" is a great idea. This will help train your mind to focus and retain thoughts had in subconscious. If you havn't started yet, now is a good idea. Save them to because months down the line you can refer to them with the knowledge of how things worked out giving you the option of "reverse engineering" your reality. A Dream Journal is the most efficient way.

The precognition I still want to research a bit more, but the fact that it's more common with your sleep dep suggests a conscious link to your subconscious, maybe. That gets stronger as you concentrate and become more aware in your dreams.

Til next time

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strianissa
Sorry, that was a longer post than I realized. I try to keep them short. Better luck next time

It was a good post. I say they are all as long as they need to be!!
:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Has anyone, reading this, had reoccurring dreams of impending doom that seemed very real? For instance,I have had the same dream since a very young age of standing on a beach and the water suddenly disappears. After a few seconds though, the sky slowly turns black and a wall of water looms over the horizon and begins to race straight towards me. Right before it crashes onto shore I wake up and every time I have it, it just seems so damn real.

I've been thinking about your dream skychief recently because of tsunami happenings -it is strange , but somehow I have feeling that this might be connected somehow, tell me - did you have this dream lately???

top topics

<<   2 >>

join