It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are Republicans and Democrats?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Their the LEFT & RIGHT cheeks of a very large arsehole called POLITICS.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
1856 Democratic Platform
1900 Democratic Platform
2000 Democratic Platform

1856 Republican Platform
1900 Republican Platform
2000 Republican Platform

I find how the language changes throughout the years fascinating. You can also see that by watching presidential debates from years ago while comparing them to today's. I've read through some of the platforms I've linked to. There are quite a few similarities between the two. I find that what differs the most, isn't the General ideas, but how to go about implementing them.

This really is intriguing reading...

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

2 ideologically opposed groups of people whose sole purpose in life is to punish each others existence by violating or outright stripping the individual rights of the constituents their respective groups answer to.

That was a very nice way of saying two turds in the same bowl.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

What are Republicans and Democrats?

Individuals that believe in partly opposing system of governance and naively believe that when it comes to real action that there is a difference between the two parties.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
It's a shame that people can't stop bashing politics long enough to understand the very reason they're bashing it. Maybe if the general public would take the time to understand what their political parties once were and what they are today, and compare them with their own beliefs, people could start holding the politicians they vote for accountable.

There's a huge disconnect between ordinary people and the folks they vote for. Isn't the best way to remedy that disconnect knowledge?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I see what you mean.

I think it has to be said that while a certain percentage of those people you see on your street who could work, MAY be on the take, it is worth assuming that they have looked for work, and found none for which they are qualified, or which would pay them a wage that would allow them to do as you have suggested, i.e. feeding and clothing a family, having a home, and so on. Further to that, although it is often tempting to see what others possess, and assume the worst when you see them do no gainful work, it is often unwise. There are many jobs that people can do from home these days, and it is also possible that some of those folk you mention work nights.

May I ask, are these people truly your neighbours? Do you speak with them in the street, do you barbecue together? Do you knock back a brew or two at the local bar with them every now and again? How much do you really know about what they do, where they do it, and how much of it they do? I only ask, because if these people are your neighbours and you know them well enough to know where they get their money, for a FACT, then that is one thing. But if you do not know these people, have never been in their lives enough to know for certain where they get the money they live on, and not by second hand knowledge but by the word of their own mouths, then how can you be sure of your convictions about them? This is why politics is so divisive!

I think where the political element of your OP is concerned you are right to be confused. The Democratic Party as it stands today, traces its origins back to the Jeffersonian Republicans, the first to refer to republicanism in the US. That party was started in 1791-93 or there abouts. It was started by Jefferson and his friend James Maddison, or so the story goes, in opposition to the Federalist Party, run by the treasurer of the time, Alexander Hamilton. However, later on it split into the Republican Party, and what became the Whig party...

How we got to this mess however is a tale of epic proportions, and I have not the time to tell it!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Point taken. I assume the worst in people and it's not a fair assessment as I can't say with 100% certainty where all their funds come from. Good call.

Back to OP though: It's not really so much as confusion as it is a desire to see the changes over the course of time. I'd go so far as to say it's to see how much today's politicians have distorted and corrupted what their respective parties once were.

Whig Party Platform 1844

Their platform was an interesting read as well. Almost seems as if a cross of conservatism and liberalism (is that a word?).

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Two factions of the illuminati who use guile to convince Americans that change is needed every 8 years, and keep us bickering with each other over trivial policies while they figure out ways to screw us.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join