It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One man fighting for life, two injured after MRI machine explodes at animal hospital in NJ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

An MRI machine exploded at a New Jersey animal hospital leaving a construction worker in critical condition and injuring two other workers.

The explosion took place at the Oradell Animal Hospital in Paramus on Friday around 11.51am while the repairmen were disassembling the machine to replace with a new one.

The man critically injured was taken to Hackensack University Medical Center after suffering from lacerations and crushing-related injuries to his body.

The three men injured, who have not been identified, were not employees of the hospital but were contractors from an unidentified company.

All hospital employees and animals in the building escaped without injuries.

One man fighting for life, two injured after MRI machine explodes at animal hospital in NJ

Two other workers reported respiratory complaints and other minor injuries, according to NBC New York.

Police were called to the scene after receiving reports of fire, explosion and people trapped in rubble.

When they arrived, they found the roof of the east wing of the facility collapsed, but the remainder of the building still structurally safe, according to North Jersey.

It has not been determined what caused the MRI machine to explode. Following the blast, there was a helium leak, which was tended to by a hazardous materials crew.

Responding officers and firefighters were able to bring everyone out safely and also found no evidence of fire.

At the time of the explosion, there were around 60 animals and 100 staff members, who were in the western part of the building, with some animals being operated on when it occurred.

They're very lucky more people, and animals, weren't hurt in the explosion! How insane! I'm glad more people weren't hurt and hope those that were get better soon! Dealing with taking those machines apart can be very dangerous!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
wow, i didn't realise there were explosive materials in mri machines. scary stuff.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Those pics are horrific. I'm glad nobody was killed. Those people got really lucky.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I guess it has happened before (similar).

From 2006

Magnet blew up (due to pressure of liquid helium or nitrogen evaporation).

I was not aware this was an issue with moving an MRI.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Before the anti-Putin crowd comes in and will tell us he was behind it..."It was the CIA!"

WOW, that those things could blow up so badly, I never knew.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I never realized just how dangerous those machines were. I knew they COULD be dangerous, but not to what extent! Very scary when you see it in action.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I never knew they were so dangerous either
U.S. Boy, 6, Killed in Freak MRI Accident

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
MRI machines require liters of liquified helium to keep the superconducting magnets cool. If someone were to go jack-hammering, chiseling, and sledgehammering the hardware, the results would be rather explosive. Even someone going around loosening bolts and valves could do the same. Having a "construction worker" at the scene sounds suspicious.

www.wired.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
My sister-in-law used to work there. It is considered one of the top animal hospitals in North Jersey.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I agree... construction worker being there instead of the vendor is VERY suspicious! Cutting corners it sounds like. MRI's also have a squelch feature to release the gas. It looks like they did not follow any guidelines for MRI removal.

JT

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

My sister-in-law used to work there. It is considered one of the top animal hospitals in North Jersey.

My cousin works near there. I wouldn't doubt if they took in some of the animals temporarily. She works at the Bergen County Animal Shelter. She's probably getting ready to take a leave of absence due to pregnancy after years and years and years of trying. They gave up and relaxed, went on a second honeymoon, BOOM!, came back pregnant! LOL My cousin is constantly fostering kittens from the shelter when they can't find anyone. She's real dedicated to those animals. They have a Facebook page, but I don't know if I'm allowed to link to it.

top topics

join