It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Become a Conservative in Four Embarrassing Steps

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: fartsmeller46

I bet i can find 10 examples of liberals doing these things for every 1 Conservative you show me.

Okay.....go ahead.
Include sources please.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

While this is a neat story, I have gone over it, and even checked out the links provided. For the most part, the author is a horrible writer, and somehow has misinterpreted a lot of the articles he cites.

He contradicts himself on multiple occasions and I am actually shocked he is a teacher anywhere. I guess his having a degree in Computer Science somehow makes him relevant in a political realm?

Anywho.....some of the citations he completely missed the mark on:

Boehner saying: "This idea that has been born...I really don't have to work; I don't really want to do this. I think I'd rather just sit around."

This was pieced together nicely by the author of the article in order to confuse the reader....the OP in this case.

Now lets see what was actually said by Boehner in the article (Which I am assuming the OP did not click on, and likely none of the links to do his own research)

The article ACTUALLY read:

U.S. House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner on Thursday expressed his dissatisfaction with a chronically high jobless rate and complained of a "very sick idea" that the unemployed would "rather just sit around."

The top House Republican said there were a "record number of Americans stuck" and that government had an "obligation to help provide tools for them to use to bring them into the mainstream of American society."

The U.S. unemployment rate was 6.1 percent in August, down from 10 percent in October 2009.

Boehner's remarks were in response to a question following a speech he delivered to the conservative-leaning American Enterprise Institute in which he laid out broad ideas for improving the U.S. economy.

The question was about plans that have been offered by politicians ranging from Democratic President Barack Obama to Republican House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan to expand an earned-income tax credit for the poor.

Boehner then lamented "this idea that has been born, maybe out of the economy over the last couple years, that you know, I really don't have to work. I don't really want to do this. I think I'd rather just sit around. This is a very sick idea for our country."

Source

With Boehner going on to say that a tax credit for the poor was a good idea:

The House Speaker concluded his remarks on the subject by saying that Ryan's ideas on expanding the tax credit for the poor "has an awful lot of merit."

So the article was misconstrued which goes to your point number 2....no other citation needed, but I will provide one for "backup" to your horrible OP story, yet directly from one of the OP links:

The OP article throws out a story about a kid in Yemen killed by a drone, somehow I am guessing he is associating this with conservatives, though I am unsure how as it was a strike that could only have been authorized by a Liberal POTUS. The article says:

It gets worse beyond our own borders, where American neoconservatism leads to behavior that is shockingly devoid of empathy. A 13-year-old Yemeni boy told The Guardian [28] about the drones buzzing incessantly overhead: "I see them every day and we are scared of them...day and night...we even dream of them in our sleep."

That boy was killed by a drone in early 2015.

And yes, apparently he was killed, as were his father and brother in strikes in 2011, also by the liberal POTUS who is currently in office.

Mohammed’s father, Saleh Tuaiman, was killed in 2011 in a drone strike that also killed Mohammed’s teenage brother, Jalil. Saleh Tuaiman left behind three wives and 27 children.

Source

On to the next....the OP article author states that about climate change:

Even the Pentagon, much trusted by right-wingers, has warned [15] that "the danger from climate change is real, urgent, and severe."

Yet his link goes to a Greenpeace article, which is misleading at best, and only cites that one quote, again out of context and used to distort the facts as is often the case with liberals. The Pentagon actually said it in this context as I will link to below:

Climate Change: The danger from climate change is real, urgent, and severe. The change wrought by a
warming planet will lead to new conflicts over refugees and resources; new suffering from drought and
famine; catastrophic natural disasters; and the degradation of land across the globe. The United States
will therefore confront climate change based upon clear guidance from the science, and in cooperation
with all nations—for there is no effective solution to climate change that does not depend upon all
nations taking responsibility for their own actions and for the planet we will leave behind.

Source

So....there is the exact reference the author makes, which as you can see, has absolutely NO reference to it likely being from human activities....again, referenced out of context for the purpose of tricking readers like the OP who don't click sources and read links.

And one more to note from the author where he references Reagan:

The bully tactics are especially frightening at the global level. "All of Russia," notes Paul Craig Roberts [34], "is distressed that Washington has destroyed the trust that had been created during the Reagan-Gorbachev era." And as noted by The Nation [35], "There’s the perception across the Global South that, while the United States remains embroiled in its endless wars, the world is defecting to the East." Toward China, that is, as their New Silk Road opens doors of cooperation from the far east all the way to Europe.

Now, the author has GOT to be aware that Reagan was a conservative AND Republican right? Or does that just show the extent to how smart this teacher really is? At least he gave credit to the conservatives and in the same breath said Washington, which is under Liberal control, has destroyed the trust a Conservative built.

And since I really don't need to go on with this, though I could continue to pick apart this very poorly written article all day long, I will just conclude with one of the authors lines and a follow up statement/question.

Author says this at end of article:

Our conservative-controlled nation's self-serving belief in "exceptionalism" is taking us further and further from the rest of the world. And closer to a world of trouble for our children.

Now last I was aware, the POTUS controls our nation and I am pretty sure he is a liberal?

edit on 3/10/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Flatfish

Obama already sabotaged the negotiations.

Iran has rejected many points.

And as usual, you're just full of it.

Obama hasn't sabotaged a damn thing and we are closer than ever to getting a deal.

But conservatives wouldn't know anything about that because they don't know the first thing about negotiating.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Oh.....I would like the add that the only thing really embarrassing in this thread is the lack of supportive links from the OP article.

The author clearly skimmed the articles linked without reading them very well. The author also seemed to fail to read the citations from the links he provided as well. He is apparently a part-time teacher of economic inequality at DePaul University, which I could not find any links to classes on that at DePaul, though I find it funny that he is teaching this at one of the most expensive, heavily religiously affiliated, private colleges in the nation.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: FyreByrd
It's Huffington Post that was started by Brietbart - not Alternet. Huge difference.

I said nothing about who started the propaganda outlets.
You missed the point.
I'm saying that alternet is just as full of propaganda as brietbart.
Both sides are exactly the same.
And yet people are trying to say one is better than the other.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 3/10/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I think the article author intentionally wrote it in the manner they did.

How else could they appeal to the limited defenseless liberal mind.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Both sides do what they want when they want. I myself consider me to be conservative but even I don't agree with everything they say and do, you'd have to be a moron to believe fully in either side or political agenda.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

Obama hasn't sabotaged a damn thing and we are closer than ever to getting a deal.

But conservatives wouldn't know anything about that because they don't know the first thing about negotiating.

Might need to brush up on your own skill sets.

Iran and U.S. foreign ministers and their teams continued the bilateral nuclear talks on March 2–4 in the Swiss city of Montreux. Iran's foreign minister has rejected as "unacceptable" President Barack Obama's demand to freeze sensitive nuclear activities for at least 10 years, saying "Iran will not accept excessive and illogical demands."

After the talks U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry flew to Riyadh, where he will meet separately the Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and the foreign ministers of the members of the Gulf Cooperation Council.

Comprehensive agreement on Iranian nuclear program

edit on Mar-10-2015 by xuenchen because: ;;gain34[_o_o_]spl

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
So ... did you expect the Iranians to clap Obama on the back and say "Hey, you know, that's a great idea!"

Come ON! That's weak.

Besides, since Republicans in Congress have decided to play Deal, No Deal with US National Security, there's probably not a lot that can be done at this point.

Score 1 for setting up the Iran War: Republican Congress.

Go REDS!

edit on 12Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:01:31 -050015p122015366 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

Might need to brush up on your own skill sets.

Iran and U.S. foreign ministers and their teams continued the bilateral nuclear talks on March 2–4 in the Swiss city of Montreux. Iran's foreign minister has rejected as "unacceptable" President Barack Obama's demand to freeze sensitive nuclear activities for at least 10 years, saying "Iran will not accept excessive and illogical demands."

After the talks U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry flew to Riyadh, where he will meet separately the Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and the foreign ministers of the members of the Gulf Cooperation Council.

Comprehensive agreement on Iranian nuclear program

edit on Mar-10-2015 by xuenchen because: ;;gain34[_o_o_]spl

There's nothing unusual about that and that's why it's called negotiating.

Both sides make proposals, both sides reject proposals and you keep doing it until you reach mutual agreement somewhere in the middle.

It usually takes some compromise from both parties before agreement is reached.

This is exactly why conservatives usually oppose unions, because they don't know how to compromise, so their answer to that obstacle is to just get rid of the opposition altogether.

"My way or the highway" or "You're either with us or you're against us" only works when you have dictatorial authority. It seldom works in any kind of democracy.

I have personally negotiated more contracts than I care to count and every one was accepted by the 3,500 workers I was representing.

That's not to say they got everything they wanted, but they found the compromise to be necessary and acceptable.

Furthermore, we're not the only ones participating in these negotiations. Let's not forget about the other P5 nations involved.

These republican senators are playing a dangerous game with the lives of free peoples all across the globe and their recent actions are unprecedented, ignorant and cowardly.

Not to mention, treasonous.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
What states rely the most on Uncle Sam? Take more than they pay in taxes.

Wallet Hub

1. Mississippi
2. New Mexico
3. Alabama
4. Louisiana
5. Maine
6. Montana
7. Tennessee
8. West Va
9. S. Dakota
10. Arizona
11. Kentucky
12. S. Carolina
13. Florida

Almost the same list for: percentage of citizens on food stamps
Highest poverty rates, worst schools

Everyone is quick to defend a billionaires freedom from marginal tax increases
while the blue states subsidize the red states

edit on 10-3-2015 by HighFive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: HighFive

High poverty, high crime Democrat voting pockets are a problem everywhere.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

"Democrat voting pockets" have led to huge majority Republican state legislatures and Governors in those states?
That makes no sense.

And the fact that they're everywhere only proves my point, broken trickle down policies of the southern republican states is flawed.

Yes every state has large cities, but republican led states are the "Takers" you hate most
edit on 10-3-2015 by HighFive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighFive

"Democrat voting pockets" have led to huge majority Republican state legislatures and Governors.?
That makes no sense.

You were expecting for xuenchen to make sense? Now that's s good one!

edit on 10-3-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Nice twist tangent.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS - I'm, for one, VERY GLAD you are here.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

For comparison of Poverty/Democrat voting .....

Look at Mississippi maps for example .....

The higher the Poverty, the more Democrat voting.

vote map

Mississippi Poverty Map

Stunning coincidences.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Besides, since Republicans in Congress have decided to play Deal, No Deal with US National Security.....

AND WITH OBAMA

, there's probably not a lot that can be done at this point.

There, Gryph. I fixed it for ya.

********************************************************************************
@xuenchen:

Your laughy faces and gaggle of smiles don't mean anything except that your ears and brain are closed. They lend nothing to your repetitive hatred and constant insulting of those here who are trying to have adult conversations.
Get real and get serious and get respectful, or get lost.

As far as I'm concerned, that is. (Of course. It's just my humble greenie-level-member opinion. Your tune and the shallow depth of your posts has never changed - not in four years since I first came across you. My interpretation. Make of it what you will. You and all your cronies.)

edit on 3/10/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

1. Fall into a false sense of community designed to divide our nation and pit us against eachother; lest we wake up and unite against the real enemy.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The higher the Poverty, the more Democrat voting.

vote map

Mississippi Poverty Map

Stunning coincidences.

What the hell? DUDE - poor people vote Democrat because Republicans couldn't care more about a cockroach than they do about the poor/uneducated/needy.

The fact is that "Red States" (Mississippi, et al) are represented by Republicans.....whether or not the people are doing well is a testament to the effectiveness of Republican/Conservative state legislation.

I live in a "Red State" - and people are leaving here in droves....the whole state is suffering under a delusional New Apostolic Reformation-Seven Mountain Dominionist thumper of the Bible.....

BROWNBACK. Look him up.
And clean up your act.
edit on 3/10/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: bbc

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join