It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Become a Conservative in Four Embarrassing Steps

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I think Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana are great examples of conservative success. They also happen to be some of the poorest in the country.

I think California is a great example of liberal success. It also happens to hold 1/8 of the population of this country and it's pretty much bankrupt.

You all still think that one side is better than the other??
Alternet = Brietbart. Same/Same. Both are trash propaganda.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Stopped reading avfew pages back so apologies if this has been mentioned.

I think quite a few people here are confused and think the Republican party is conservative... The two haven't been remotely close in decades at least.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Let me pose this scenerio to the audience.

There is a guy named Joe who professes to be a liberal. He is six feet tall and weighs 200 pounds.
There is also a guy named Jeb who profess to be a conservative. He is also 6 feet tall and weighs 200 pounds.

They are both dropped of in the middle of the desert with a canteen of water for each of them and told to get themselves out of the desert. The first day Jeb only drinks 1/2 of his canteen of water but Joe drinks his entire canteen the firs day.

Which one stands the better chance of getting out alive?

It's Joe of course. In the middle of the night he will bash Jeb"s head in with his empty canteen and proceed on his way.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
This thread is hilarious! It's hard to believe Liberals are that out of touch. As for #3 Conservatives give a ton more to charity than Liberals. They give money to help others because they don't care about them and have no empathy, right? Facts? The seven states that gave the least to charity voted Obama. The 17 most generous states voted Romney.

news.investors.com...
www.nytimes.com...
www.ethicsdaily.com...
www.ibtimes.com...
www.washingtontimes.com...

So what is it? Are Republicans all rich fat cats who can spare to give money? Wait, I thought they were uneducated poor hillbillies from the south? Nope, they are whatever stereotype generalization the talking points media gives the left for the day.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
This thread is hilarious! It's hard to believe Liberals are that out of touch. As for #3 Conservatives give a ton more to charity than Liberals. They give money to help others because they don't care about them and have no empathy, right? Facts? The seven states that gave the least to charity voted Obama. The 17 most generous states voted Romney.

news.investors.com...
www.nytimes.com...
www.ethicsdaily.com...
www.ibtimes.com...
www.washingtontimes.com...

So what is it? Are Republicans all rich fat cats who can spare to give money? Wait, I thought they were uneducated poor hillbillies from the south? Nope, they are whatever stereotype generalization the talking points media gives the left for the day.

Empathy - not charity. A huge difference - look it up!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I think Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana are great examples of conservative success. They also happen to be some of the poorest in the country.

I think California is a great example of liberal success. It also happens to hold 1/8 of the population of this country and it's pretty much bankrupt.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

It's Huffington Post that was started by Brietbart - not Alternet. Huge difference.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: asmall89
These kind of threads should just be ignored. Just a way to divide the people and lump them into categories. Keep them bickering at each other while their freedoms slip away....

Good job of ignoring.....

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: FyreByrd

I would say to all those who counter that the points in your OP describing conservatives also describe much of the Democrat leadership, are valid points. The valid point being simply that much of the Democrat leadership are conservative.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Funny that I thought this was the same traits that made up Government. I've watched their long drawn out meeting on TV and see how they treat the sheep in everyday life.
Non of them care what we think or want or even whats best for us.
Pretty much they all fit the shoe if you ask me. and then there is propaganda like this I call finger pointing they all do this really well.
Yet it actually is the whole pot that stinks.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
How to Become a Conservative in Four Embarrassing Steps

I'm not partisan at all, in fact, I despise most political parties that are out there, but the irony of this thread is to good to pass up.

Hilary Clinton seems to have all of these bases covered plus greed, corruption, and countless others attributes that are all in the negative realm.

Denying ignorance is a funny thing.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Your long term memory needs a little refreshing. The deep south had been fanatically democratic until just the past 10 years or so when they realized that the national democratic party had abandoned and betrayed their constituents values and religious beliefs. You must realize that the deep south has historically been a deeply christian society.

You must be trying to prove the OP correct. And you have done a fine job of it.

With that you have

1. Ignore Facts
2. Make Up Your Own Facts
deep south

In case you can't read that the voting switched in 1964 not 10 years ago.
Seems my long term memory is just fine yours however.

Being a voting member of the Democratic party was a deeply held long lasting tradition in the south until just recently.

Ahemm.

You speak from ignorance when you believe the deep south has always been republican. Maybe conservative but definitely not republican. That idea couldn't be any further from the truth.

There is step number.

4. Shout Down Your Opponents

If nothing else works, belligerence will. Many of the top right-wingers use this strategy.

So you have just proven step 1, 2, and 4 from the OP.

My bad. I reread your post and realized you did not mention any particular party but what I said here still holds true.

Yeah I know you were building a strawman from things I never said however you were not doing a very good job because you were making up facts as you went.

A couple people even gave you stars meaning they were as clueless as you.

Thank you for demonstrating the OP next time try to fit in number 3 while you are at it.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Nope I think both sides are trash just one stinks a little less when it comes to science.

You have mistaken me for someone who visits either of those sites without being directed to an article by ATS.

With Breitbart, when it happens I can usually fact check it and tear the article down. I fact checked a few things from this article and they held true. It can't be too wrong after all CharlesT in is post to me just demonstrated 3 of the 4 steps they were talking about.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

The difference is conservatives give to charities of their choosing, that they morally agree with. Liberals, however, are more willing to pay more in taxes to help people they don't know in places they'll never see/visit, with moral beliefs they may not agree with.

So it appears that, as the Hypothesis predicts, more intelligent individuals are more likely to espouse the value of liberalism than less intelligent individuals, possibly because liberalism is evolutionarily novel and conservatism is evolutionarily familiar.

The primary means that citizens of capitalist democracies contribute their private resources for the welfare of the genetically unrelated others is paying taxes to the government for its social welfare programs. The fact that conservatives have been shown to give more money to charities than liberals is not inconsistent with the prediction from the Hypothesis; in fact, it supports the prediction. Individuals can normally choose and select the beneficiaries of their charity donations. For example, they can choose to give money to the victims of the earthquake in Haiti, because they want to help them, but not to give money to the victims of the earthquake in Chile, because they don’t want to help them. In contrast, citizens do not have any control over whom the money they pay in taxes benefit. They cannot individually choose to pay taxes to fund Medicare, because they want to help elderly white people, but not AFDC, because they don’t want to help poor black single mothers. This may precisely be why conservatives choose to give more money to individual charities of their choice while opposing higher taxes.

Psychology Today

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
originally posted by: FyreByrd

The four ways:

1. Ignore Facts

Research shows that conservatives tend to modify facts [4] to accommodate their beliefs and convictions, while liberals are more willing to deal with the complexity [5] of multiple sources of information that help determine the true facts.

In simpler terms, numerous studies (here [6], here [7], here [8], and here [9]) conclude that conservatives are not very smart.

Research shows it's a bipartisan problem

2. Make Up Your Own Facts

This is the opposite of ignoring facts, for in this case conservatives are inventing new ones. A prime example is the stubborn belief in supply-side [16], trickle-down economics, and in the supposed power of the free market, as summarized by Milton Friedman when he said, "The free market system distributes the fruits of economic progress among all people."

The "supposed power of the free market" has steadily been increasing wealth and living conditions for everyone around the globe for roughly the last two hundred years.

3. Display No Empathy for Others

Conservatives tend to blame poor people for their own misfortunes.

Liberals tend to blame rich people for their own misfortunes, don't they?

4. Shout Down Your Opponents

If nothing else works, belligerence will. Many of the top right-wingers use this strategy. John McCain [29] told Code Pink protestors to "Get out of here, you low-life scum." Michael Moore has reportedly received death threats from both Glenn Beck [30] and Clint Eastwood [31]. Bill O'Reilly [32] bashed Mother Jones chief David Corn as a "liar" and an "irresponsible guttersnipe," and then assailed [33] New York Times' Emily Steel in an interview about the Falklands controversy: "I am coming after you with everything I have. You can take it as a threat."

And liberal groups lobby to get people fired from their jobs because of their personal beliefs.

The bottom line isn't that the "conservatives: or "liberals" or "progressives" are great. It's that they both suck. On this point, I agree with the OP whole-heartedly.

edit on 10-3-2015 by StalkerSolent because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-3-2015 by StalkerSolent because: Formatting is just not my thing today...

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Research shows conclusively that liberals and progressives are butty-butt-holes! - A conservative (with a sense of humor)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I didn't read the article but I know what it takes to become a conservative thinker.

1- Lose empathy towards the poor
2- Think that you weren't luckyto have a good standing, good salary
3- Stop wanting to change the world for the better when you can focus on your own little world
4- Have no dreams of world peace trough understanding AND sharing
5- You think that if YOU made it, everyone else can if they do the same thing you did, totally forgetting that people have different values
6- You fear loosing what you have gained
7- You don't want people to have it easier than you did, you want them to suffer just as much even if it's useless to their overall progess
8- You fear change
9- You lost your tolerence
10- You lost faith in humanity

Of course theses aren't inclusives but it seems to me, that no conservative understands liberals like I can understand conservatives.
In fact, every single thread that I have seen conservatives bashing liberals have no idea what they are talking about while liberals seldom understand conservatives.

Our society needs both liberals and conservatives but I find that too many conservative is detrimental to the evolution of mankind.
edit on 10-3-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

Obama already sabotaged the negotiations.

Iran has rejected many points.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
A follow up to my prior post. There are true conservatives and then the faux (or Fox) conservatives, who are really "reactionaries". Republican conservative John Dean wrote a book in 2006, "Conservatives Without Conscience", in which he discusses "authoritarian followers", which might help to explain the "embarrassing steps".

Altermeyer's data provides additional information about the dispositions of right-wing authoritarians. Here are a few examples that provide further perspective. These have not been deliberately isolated as negative characteristics; rather, they are traits that authoritarians believe to be positive.

* They travel in tight circles of like-minded people.

* Their thinking is more likely based on what authorities have told them rather than on their own critical judgment, which results in their beliefs being filled with inconsistencies.

* They harbor numerous double standards and hypocrisies.

* They are hostile toward so many minorities they seem to be equal-opportunity bigots, yet they are generally unaware of their prejudices.

* They see the world as a dangerous place, with society teetering on the brink of self-destruction from evil and violence, and when their fear conflates with their self-righteousness, they appoint themselves guardians of public morality, or God's Designated Hitters.

* They think of themselves as far more moral and upstanding than others-a self-deception aided by their religiosity (many are "born again") and their ability to "evaporate guilt" (such as by going to confession).

Probably about 20 to 25 percent of the adult American population is so right-wing authoritarian, so scared, so self-righteous, so ill-informed, and so dogmatic that nothing you can say or do will change their minds. They would march America into a dictatorship and probably feel that things had improved as a result.

source--excerpts from the book Conservatives Without Conscience

Re empathy, I have an interesting story to tell, which I will save for another post.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Sir, I congratulate you for your gracious acknowledgement and for redacting your earlier claim.
Well done, indeed.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Congratulations on not understanding nothing from both liberals and conservatives.
edit on 10-3-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join