It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: jjkenobi
This thread is hilarious! It's hard to believe Liberals are that out of touch. As for #3 Conservatives give a ton more to charity than Liberals. They give money to help others because they don't care about them and have no empathy, right? Facts? The seven states that gave the least to charity voted Obama. The 17 most generous states voted Romney.
So what is it? Are Republicans all rich fat cats who can spare to give money? Wait, I thought they were uneducated poor hillbillies from the south? Nope, they are whatever stereotype generalization the talking points media gives the left for the day.
originally posted by: FyreByrd
How to Become a Conservative in Four Embarrassing Steps
Your long term memory needs a little refreshing. The deep south had been fanatically democratic until just the past 10 years or so when they realized that the national democratic party had abandoned and betrayed their constituents values and religious beliefs. You must realize that the deep south has historically been a deeply christian society.
Being a voting member of the Democratic party was a deeply held long lasting tradition in the south until just recently.
You speak from ignorance when you believe the deep south has always been republican. Maybe conservative but definitely not republican. That idea couldn't be any further from the truth.
My bad. I reread your post and realized you did not mention any particular party but what I said here still holds true.
You all still think that one side is better than the other??
Alternet = Brietbart. Same/Same. Both are trash propaganda.
1. Ignore Facts
Research shows that conservatives tend to modify facts  to accommodate their beliefs and convictions, while liberals are more willing to deal with the complexity  of multiple sources of information that help determine the true facts.
In simpler terms, numerous studies (here , here , here , and here ) conclude that conservatives are not very smart.
2. Make Up Your Own Facts
This is the opposite of ignoring facts, for in this case conservatives are inventing new ones. A prime example is the stubborn belief in supply-side , trickle-down economics, and in the supposed power of the free market, as summarized by Milton Friedman when he said, "The free market system distributes the fruits of economic progress among all people."
3. Display No Empathy for Others
Conservatives tend to blame poor people for their own misfortunes.
4. Shout Down Your Opponents
If nothing else works, belligerence will. Many of the top right-wingers use this strategy. John McCain  told Code Pink protestors to "Get out of here, you low-life scum." Michael Moore has reportedly received death threats from both Glenn Beck  and Clint Eastwood . Bill O'Reilly  bashed Mother Jones chief David Corn as a "liar" and an "irresponsible guttersnipe," and then assailed  New York Times' Emily Steel in an interview about the Falklands controversy: "I am coming after you with everything I have. You can take it as a threat."
Altermeyer's data provides additional information about the dispositions of right-wing authoritarians. Here are a few examples that provide further perspective. These have not been deliberately isolated as negative characteristics; rather, they are traits that authoritarians believe to be positive.
* They travel in tight circles of like-minded people.
* Their thinking is more likely based on what authorities have told them rather than on their own critical judgment, which results in their beliefs being filled with inconsistencies.
* They harbor numerous double standards and hypocrisies.
* They are hostile toward so many minorities they seem to be equal-opportunity bigots, yet they are generally unaware of their prejudices.
* They see the world as a dangerous place, with society teetering on the brink of self-destruction from evil and violence, and when their fear conflates with their self-righteousness, they appoint themselves guardians of public morality, or God's Designated Hitters.
* They think of themselves as far more moral and upstanding than others-a self-deception aided by their religiosity (many are "born again") and their ability to "evaporate guilt" (such as by going to confession).
Probably about 20 to 25 percent of the adult American population is so right-wing authoritarian, so scared, so self-righteous, so ill-informed, and so dogmatic that nothing you can say or do will change their minds. They would march America into a dictatorship and probably feel that things had improved as a result.