It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Become a Conservative in Four Embarrassing Steps

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Like someone shoplifting while calling all of the other customers thieves.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: lynxpilot
I'm a Constitutionalist. Where does that place me? Need to know if I'm stoopid or not, ya know.

As far as I can figure, it depends on whether you think the Second Amendment is more important than the First, Fifth, Tenth, Fourteenth, Nineteenth, etc. combined.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Chris Crocker is the poster child of the left,IMO.

(actually got into a youtube/email war with the guy years ago.P*ssed him off-I just don't like to see "men" of ANY sexual preference threatening women)
edit on 10-3-2015 by FalcoFan because: forgot to add imo

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: FalcoFan
a reply to: beezzer

Chris Crocker is the poster child of the left,IMO.

(actually got into a youtube/email war with the guy years ago.P*ssed him off-I just don't like to see "men" of ANY sexual preference threatening women)

You trolled someone during their 15 minutes of internet fame? Wow.

Chris Crocker is openly gay/bisexual. Is that the tie-in to the Left, politically?

If so, I'll give you that on that rather tenuous evidence, but I'm nominating Jimmy Swaggart as the right-wingnut version of same style ...

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: lynxpilot
I'm a Constitutionalist. Where does that place me? Need to know if I'm stoopid or not, ya know.

It places you under the microscope of the MSM-Academic Defense initiative.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Actually the service industry is the biggest in Idaho.

"Service industries make up the largest portion of Idaho's economy, with the wholesale (groceries, petroleum, wood products) and retail (automobile dealerships, food stores, and restaurants) trade industries leading in the service sector."

www.netstate.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Xuenchen's posts embody the tactic of ignoring the fact that correlation is not causation.

Yep.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

did you even finish high school? And - if so: did you enroll in community college and take some freshman version of political science taught by a graduate student who has old Mitt Romney bumper stickers on his car?

Just wondering. Because we seem to have reached the limit of your radial (sic) purview.

Sad.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
They are identical except for a few issues that will never change. Guns, abortion, and a couple others. They both sell out the masses for their greed of money and power. Same party but no one admits it.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

You make me feel so Holy

Ouch !!!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Ooooo - a swing and a miss and then .... next up - a swing! And another miss!

Mmm. Do you know how to 'reload' those casings? And, it would be 'holey' - as in, full of holes.

Can't tell from the picture what caliber they are.

edit on 3/10/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

Good night, xuenchen.
Talk to you tomorrow.

edit on 3/10/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: fartsmeller46

Point out your own deficiencies and cast the blame somewhere else.

All four points describe Obama to the "Letter".

Read the article and the research that it is based on - it's all clearly linked.

Sure Democrats can have the same character flaws.

However, I'll point out that you cannot actually prove or probably even provide 10 liberal/progressive examples of such behavoir to every 1 conservative one.

That is an example of making up facts!!!! and number two on the 'walk like a conservative hit parade'.

Also - this isn't about Democrates or Republicans. It's about conservative 'debate' tactics especially when they get called on their fantasies (see above).

Those more to the left exhibit the same flaws sometimes, and some a lot; but not to the extent that 'self-styled' (and I use that term very deliberatly) conservatives (as an earier poster stated these 'conservative' are reactionaries and in no way classically conservative).

Everyone makes mistakes and handles things poorly but, in my experience, conservatives tend to do so consistantly and when called out, so to speak, resort to '#4 on the hit parade' whereas leftists can back up their facts and can admit a mistake and don't resort to name-calling and ignorant refusal to address reality.

Those on the left hear out people and their arguments, rightists interupt and attack. It gets very old to have people argue with you about something tangential to the original proposition - I believe it's called a 'strawman'.

edit on 10-3-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This site has become an echo chamber moving so far left that it is almost unrecognizable to me from the time I joined back in 2008....I have a lot of love for my ATS home and im saddened to see what is happening, people can deny it and use the "Every side feels the same way" line but its apparent to anyone who has been here for a while.

The amount of bipartisan vitriol and ugliness that is displayed is higher then I have ever seen it...

Now if you blame radical Islam for the group ISIS, blame Obama for his mistakes, think Hillary should be taken to task for benghazi and her normal shenanigans, DONT believe that all police are bad, or dont subscribe that ISIS is just another secret branch of the US military, or consequently are christian... then you are a racist bigot and an idiot conservative......

This though process is becoming more and more prevalent here and the hate for anything conservative is palpable....

I find it amusing how many studies liberals do to try and make conservatives out to be either stupid or prove through some sort of warped process that we are mentally ill, so they can label us....i find it hypocritical coming from the party that claims to be the pentacle of tolerance and inclusion......honestly if that alone doesnt show you who they really are i dont know what else will

Its sad to see how far things have fallen, not only on ATS but it seems to be the microcosm of the US climate as a whole

edit on 3/10/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/10/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

Of course theses aren't inclusives but it seems to me, that no conservative understands liberals like I can understand conservatives.
In fact, every single thread that I have seen conservatives bashing liberals have no idea what they are talking about while liberals seldom understand conservatives.

Our society needs both liberals and conservatives but I find that too many conservative is detrimental to the evolution of mankind.

And each of us needs progressive (very different then liberal in actuality) and conservative modes of thought to handle the many needs of daily life.

Conservatives fear change.

Liberals have more tolerance to uncertainty (bigger anterior cingulate cortex), and conservatives have more sensitivity to fear (bigger right amygdala).

2012election.procon.org...

and another from the same source:

Conservatism is focused on preventing negative outcomes, while liberalism is focused on advancing positive outcomes.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I guess what surprises me the most in this arena is the absolute separation of two (or more) worldviews.

If anything, I've seen ATS get more reactionary, more right-wing, etc. in the last three years of my tenure here.

I've seen the high quality of debate originally encouraged fall to accepting just any old posting (at least it seems at times.)

What really amazes me is how brittle reactionaries and conservatives here seem to be. It's okay to "dish it out" and call anyone who disagrees with the standard Fox/Limbaugh/Beck drivel leftists, communists, anti-American, etc. etc.

Then, if a liberal, progressive (or even and I'd say mostly, Moderates) refuses to be labeled as such, or disputes glaring errors and untruths ... well then suddenly ATS is a "leftist echo chamber" as one member laments above.

I don't get it. Do Conservatives actually think that their beliefs are the only possible way to look at the world? Are they so brittle that when anyone disagrees or argues passionately for a different point ... that is seen as an attack?

We all have opinions. If we're trying to follow the ATS philosophy, we try to temper or at least support our opinions with facts. It's a-okay for Conservatives to call Liberals everything but a Liberal, but if you guys get it back in kind we're playing dirty pool or something.

When anyone doesn't subscribe to your own extremist views, you can only label them as your enemy? Why not really listen to what they're saying, at least to really understand it, see what facts are there.

All too often it seems like our reactionary friends think they should be able to post whatever they wish and never be called on it, never be debated with.

I myself love the debates I have here. I learn something new EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Best, no direct offense to anyone intended.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The 4 steps in no particular order:

A bad fall

Loose ones mind

Join the Nazi party

Rejoin the Klan

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
a reply to: FyreByrd

While this is a neat story, I have gone over it, and even checked out the links provided. For the most part, the author is a horrible writer, and somehow has misinterpreted a lot of the articles he cites.

He contradicts himself on multiple occasions and I am actually shocked he is a teacher anywhere. I guess his having a degree in Computer Science somehow makes him relevant in a political realm?

As I pointed out in the OP the story was poorly written and edited. It was posted, not because of it's brillance, because of a set of fundamental tactics described that match up with a lot of my experience with many 'conservatives' and some 'liberals'.

He may be misreading the source material, and I appauld you for taking the time with it - I did not, but did happen to stumble on 'the things to do to be a conservative.'

Given the time and willingness, I could probably provide from the same materials he used a cogent arguement to support the very same points ---- or --- a valid argument against. That's just good mechanics of an argument - which we both agree he did not do well on.

However, there is a real truth here - and anyone that is exposed to 'discourse' from both ends of the political spectrum regularly (and I do make it a point to listen to the 'opposition' on a daily basis) will see that these four points:

1) Ignore facts.
2) Make up your own facts.
3) Display no empathy for others.
4) Shout down your opponents.

...are used exponentially more often by those on the right.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighFive
What states rely the most on Uncle Sam? Take more than they pay in taxes.

Wallet Hub

1. Mississippi
2. New Mexico
3. Alabama
4. Louisiana
5. Maine
6. Montana
7. Tennessee
8. West Va
9. S. Dakota
10. Arizona
11. Kentucky
12. S. Carolina
13. Florida

Almost the same list for: percentage of citizens on food stamps
Highest poverty rates, worst schools

Everyone is quick to defend a billionaires freedom from marginal tax increases
while the blue states subsidize the red states

Completely off topic, but nice.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

a reply to: FyreByrd

Conservatism is focused on preventing negative outcomes, while liberalism is focused on advancing positive outcomes.

Does that mean liberals will focus on advancing the positive outcomes of the last election?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I stopped caring along time ago about the labels placed upon me despite my various complex opinions and beliefs , I just say fkit let the label stick but own it..wave it ..they succeeded in making Liiiibral! a dirty word, causing many to duck & cover, I say a Liberal as defined by me is a Liberated man,meaning "FREE", not bound to convention or tradition as oppose to conservative shackled to tradition and the status quo,unchanging, Progressive is just an alternate term..to progress to move forward to expect and embrace change.
edit on 10-3-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join