It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Become a Conservative in Four Embarrassing Steps

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I just can't help myself. In fact I wish I could time this to come out first thing in the am on the East Coast of the US.

www.alternet.org...

An opinion piece with research to back up it's premises. It's also fits in with my oberservations over the years regarding most, but certainly not all, self-identified conservatives. I do think similar 'defects' are at work in some progressives and have met some of those as well but not to the same extent.

Now before I quote from the article I want you to be aware that the bracketed numbers in the text refer to the extensive footnotes to the article (a progressive trait) that you can follow-up on should you wish.

The four ways:

1. Ignore Facts

Research shows that conservatives tend to modify facts [4] to accommodate their beliefs and convictions, while liberals are more willing to deal with the complexity [5] of multiple sources of information that help determine the true facts.

In simpler terms, numerous studies (here [6], here [7], here [8], and here [9]) conclude that conservatives are not very smart.

2. Make Up Your Own Facts

This is the opposite of ignoring facts, for in this case conservatives are inventing new ones. A prime example is the stubborn belief in supply-side [16], trickle-down economics, and in the supposed power of the free market, as summarized by Milton Friedman when he said, "The free market system distributes the fruits of economic progress among all people."

3. Display No Empathy for Others

Conservatives tend to blame poor people for their own misfortunes.

and my personal favorite:

4. Shout Down Your Opponents

If nothing else works, belligerence will. Many of the top right-wingers use this strategy. John McCain [29] told Code Pink protestors to "Get out of here, you low-life scum." Michael Moore has reportedly received death threats from both Glenn Beck [30] and Clint Eastwood [31]. Bill O'Reilly [32] bashed Mother Jones chief David Corn as a "liar" and an "irresponsible guttersnipe," and then assailed [33] New York Times' Emily Steel in an interview about the Falklands controversy: "I am coming after you with everything I have. You can take it as a threat."

Now this is not a great piece of prose. Decent support but not well written or edited. But I just couldn't resist.

Remember to read the comments.... which you will find on this page:

www.alternet.org...

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This thread is going to be good.

Ding ding ding.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Sounds like a good topic for the Political Mud Pit.

The blame game goes on as the Rome burns.......

+19 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This is a no-brainer.

Everyone knows that leftists are smart and perfect!

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Are you still convinced there is a difference? Both parties may have different ways of going about it, but their goals are the same. Keep themselves on top and the rest of us fighting each other. Looks like it's working just fine.

+31 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

FyreByrd,

1. and 2. Ignore Facts - On modifying "facts"
"If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor"
"ACA will save American families $2500"

3. Display no empathy for others
In the words of Hillary, regarding the Benghazi dead SHE was responsible for "what difference does it make"

4. Shout down your opponents
Look up "occupy Wall Street".
Read Saul Alinsky

Projection issues much ?

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
This is a no-brainer.

Everyone knows that leftists are smart and perfect!

And they would never shout down a speaker at a school of higher learning either. And when they fart it smells like heaven.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Just to be fair, let's look at some ways to become a liberal. Here's one to get the ball rolling.

After meditation, conservatives lean left

"Balance is an integral part of our shared reality and these studies highlight the importance of trying things outside of one's comfort zone. We cannot integrate unfamiliar values into our lives by consistently remaining on one side - whether religious or spiritual, or conservative or liberal. By encouraging others to regularly try new things perhaps we can help regain balance in our world."

The Dalai Lama has been working closely with scientists, giving science an idea of how beneficial meditation is. There is a rather long laundry list of benefits. It makes you smarter, happier, healthier.

www.psychologytoday.com...

So, meditation makes you a better version of you, and that includes being more liberal.

👣

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The story sounds like a reversible psy-ops.

Point out your own deficiencies and cast the blame somewhere else.

All four points describe Obama to the "Letter".

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Yes lefties, give in to your hatred! Strike me down with it! Let it flow through you...

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Sounds like a good topic for the Political Mud Pit.

The blame game goes on as the Rome burns.......

Not a bit of blame here - just observations of character.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

FyreByrd,

1. and 2. Ignore Facts - On modifying "facts"
"If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor"
"ACA will save American families $2500"

3. Display no empathy for others
In the words of Hillary, regarding the Benghazi dead SHE was responsible for "what difference does it make"

4. Shout down your opponents
Look up "occupy Wall Street".
Read Saul Alinsky

Projection issues much ?

Out of context and singular much?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The story sounds like a reversible psy-ops.

Point out your own deficiencies and cast the blame somewhere else.

All four points describe Obama to the "Letter".

Again - no blame just observation. You are reading things that just aren't there and that you imagine are present. Just who is being blamed and for what - in either the OP or the referenced article?
edit on 9-3-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Totally agree. Remember that time Hillary stormed that embassy and murdered that ambassador? Hard....core.... facts.

And I just want to add, in a non-TC breaking way, $&#* the Clintons. But this Benghazi crap needs to stop...

a reply to: M5xaz

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

In a previous thread, I recommended "alternet.org" be banned from ATS as a source...just leftest propaganda.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Granite

But I'm sure rush would be just fine right?

You can call it a biased source and have a point but unless they run stories like BIN or TRN good luck with it getting banned.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Granite

In a previous thread, I recommended "alternet.org" be banned from ATS as a source...just leftest propaganda.

Yeah - you know, I've yet to find a source of 'rightist' propoganda that so thoroughly footnotes the content of their authors and I mean non-self-referetial sources.

Please refer to item one of the piece.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Granite

But I'm sure rush would be just fine right?

You can call it a biased source and have a point but unless they run stories like BIN or TRN good luck with it getting banned.

According to Fact Checkers, Rush is 99.97% factually correct.

Have a listen to his show...I know "truth" is your passion...

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Granite

Well if we ban that site then we should also ban Breitbart, CNS, Worldnetdaily, the blaze, Fox News, Drudge, Newsmax and the heritage foundation

it's only fair right?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

ATS has the forum for Altnet.org: Ludicrous Online Lies

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join