It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ferguson Report Was Damning, But It's Not Just A Ferguson Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
After reviewing the article it seems the police state has spread from state to state. My fear is that it is going unchecked and Will continue to get out of Control...

The report found that, though black residents made up 67 percent of the St. Louis suburb's population, they accounted for 95 percent of all jaywalking charges, 94 percent of all failure to comply charges, 92 percent of all resisting arrest charges, 92 percent of all peace disturbance charges and 89 percent of failure to obey charges. Offenders are subject to fines for many of these infractions.

After a New York City police officer killed Eric Garner in July, the New York Civil Liberties Union compiled arrest statistics in New York City and found that, though Hispanic and black New Yorkers make up 50 percent of the city's population, they accounted for 81 percent of the 7.3 million people hit with violations between 2001 and 2013.

n Ferndale, Michigan, which is part of the Detroit metropolitan area, the ACLU of Michigan said, "Although blacks make up less than 10 percent of Ferndale’s population, according to the 2010 census, they made up approximately 60 (percent) of the drivers who received traffic citations in Ferndale [between Jan. 1, 2013, and May 15, 2014] when the race of the driver was known.”

When confronted with racial disparities in arrest statistics, police often say they arrest the people who are committing the crimes, regardless of what their race is.

link to Article.

I know we have seen many articles on this already and probably are tired of the same rhetoric but it's something that needs constant attention to keep it from getting out of control!!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I have a suggestion. Pretty sure it would 'fix' the problem. I'm not going to say what it is, because I'm fairly certain this post would be removed ... and I might get banned without a warning.

The 'administration' can say anything they want about Ferguson, but deep down we all know 'what the problem' really is.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Plz share you wisdom good sir, all i see is racism towards minorities or poor people.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
At this point i think your wrong does not matter what color you are anymore...you are attempting to blame it on race i blame it on Stupid people because there are stupid whites, hispanics, afromericans , Chinese, russian and so on and so forth its no excuse anymore to blame pigmentation. .. reply to: Snarl

edit on 9-3-2015 by ATF1886 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
It's not racism ... It's intolerence. It's not about minorities (though 'poor' may be a good fit).

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ok thank you for the clarification it's my misunderstanding but I get you its no longer color it's now a poor thing.. reply to: Snarl

edit on 9-3-2015 by ATF1886 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Stereotypes suck...however there wouldn't be a stereotype if enough people didn't notice a pattern in a specific community. I mean they may not apply to all of the group it's attributed to, but usually applies to enough to be noticed by society.

cj6

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
What happened to the body cams? I know some of the departments have them but not all. They need to change it so it can't be turned off since I know there are plenty of recent incidents that involve the officers turning the cams off. Honestly the body cam is a very good idea and I believe it would help in a way if only they change the functionality so it can't be turned off by the officer.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Agreeable kind of a it keeps running for thier full shift since im personally nice id give rm a raise to compensate for having to wear em...a reply to: cj6

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: cj6
What happened to the body cams? I know some of the departments have them but not all. They need to change it so it can't be turned off since I know there are plenty of recent incidents that involve the officers turning the cams off. Honestly the body cam is a very good idea and I believe it would help in a way if only they change the functionality so it can't be turned off by the officer.

I agree. They tell us that if haven't done anything or have nothing to hide that we shouldn't be worried about surveillance, well if officers didn't have anything to hide why would they object to body cams that they can't turn off? Seems like the only reason to turn it off would be to do something that is not right.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Yes, cops know that it's easier to over police and dehumanize poor people because they lack the means to adequately defend their rights. The answer is to demilitarize the police, band together to demand equal protection of everyone's civil rights and end the "War on Drugs?" I trust that's where you were going with this?
edit on 2015-3-9 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Yes, cops know that it's easier to over police and dehumanize poor people because they lack the means to adequately defend their rights. The answer is to demilitarize the police, band together to demand equal protection of everyone's civil rights and end the "War on Drugs?" I trust that's where you were going with this?

That would be a positive first step forward. The cops need to be 'out of the punishment phase' of law enforcement.

The next step is punishing people when they've committed a crime. Some people have simply not earned a right to the benefits of society. When it's time to write them off, there's no politically correct way of doing it ... but it needs to be done.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

A great start, ATF.. and thank you. The problem is deep, and
it goes across borders, politics, and even religion.

It's got to do with our collective family. When the individual
family and the basic moral compass was all but murdered by
our social engineers it was only a matter of time before the
whole country started to unravel.. we're reaping the bitter
harvest of 'no vigilance'. Maybe the whole planet ... it's too
predictable and tiresome, these sweeping generalizations:
until one considers the scale of the war that's been waged.

The PTB did a bang up job on us, when we were all looking
elsewhere in the scripted talking points. It's a war on US,
it always was. Endgame, we all do ourselves in. They win.
It might even be too late to ignore the instructions.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Tear it down...

Seriously. As a country we've been building this up for a century. We are so close to straight up citizen slavery, yet half the country is too busy with their balls in their hands screaming about how free we are that nobody seems to see it.

It has to end soon, or it's too late- and I wasn't built for slavery.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Stereotypes suck...however there wouldn't be a stereotype if enough people didn't notice a pattern in a specific community. I mean they may not apply to all of the group it's attributed to, but usually applies to enough to be noticed by society.

Stereotypes
Therein lies the problem:

DEA Agent: We Were Told Not to Enforce Drug Laws in Rich White Areas

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Department of Justice agency devoted to preventing drug use and sale within the US, tells its agents not to enforce drug laws in rich white areas, according to a former employee.

continued...
That’s when I asked the question, well, don’t they sell drugs out in Potomac and Springfield, and places like that? Maybe you all think they don’t, but statistics show they use more drugs out in those areas [rich and white] than anywhere.

source

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Well that's just silly on their part...who do you think buys em all. That's how the dealers get the money for all the dumbass jewlery , rims, clothes, ect... While staying in his section 8 housing on food stamps and utility assistance. Its not like one is any better than the other. My point was most of the stereotypes aren't made up out of nowhere. And regardless of if we want to admit it or not that's the truth of it.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

This all started back in the 70's when they came out with blackdar.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I agree they TPTB have been chipping away at every moral compass for the last 40-50 years weve allowed this to go on for so long that at this point there is no return.

i have not completely lost my Faith in humanity but something has to be done like NOW no more procrastination. . reply to: derfreebie

top topics

join