It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this an offense under the Logan Act? GOP's message to Iran.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

I swear they're all crazy.

Just unreal.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I just finished posting to another similar thread before seeing this one. Since I’m pissed and feel like throwing in my 2 cents, and because I’m lazy, I’m just gonna paste the guts of my other post into this one. So, here goes...

It's pretty sad, the GOP has turned into a bad Jerry Springer episode. They’ve contracted a serious case of the Tricky Dick (Nixon) Syndrome, AKA paranoid schizophrenia, accompanied by profound delusions of grandeur.

I love it how people so readily assimilate what they’ve read in some tabloid rag and then go about preaching it to the world like it’s the Gospel. No wonder we’re in such a mess. We, the People, are so gullible and easily manipulated that we’re sitting ducks for ruthless politicians. We’ll believe anything they tell us, no matter how stupid and moronic it reveals us to be. Hell, we don’t care. As long as it fits into our preconceived, twisted view of the world, we just lap it up like ravenous hyenas. As much as I don’t like it, I can’t help but feel that we deserve whatever comes our way. If we insist on doing dumb sh-t, then we rightly own it and deserve whatever comes of it. No matter how dire the consequences.

As I understand it, this is the way it has worked for the last 200+ years: At the behest of the President, the person charged with the conduct of foreign relations under the Constitution, Congress may pass laws declaring economic sanctions against countries. Only the Commander in Chief can negotiate with other countries in order to make agreements. These negotiations are often sensitive and considered to be confidential. There is no need to invite Congress, who is famous for leaking information, into these discussions. Under Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution, making TREATIES is the responsibility of the President. ONCE THEY ARE READY to be signed, they are then presented to the Senate for "advise and consent". The aim of the Iran nuclear talks is to establish an international “agreement”, NOT A TREATY. Neophyte senator Cotton needs to read up on diplomatic protocol in foreign affairs, historical precedent in these matters, as well as the Constitution he swore to uphold!

As is typical of the Republican Party these days, they whine, complain and make false, unsubstantiated allegations, while rarely offering a tenable solution. If successful in their insane attempt to sabotage the nuclear talks, then what? As far as I can tell, the Republican “solution” leads to the following possible scenarios:

1 - We squeeze Iran further with even tighter sanctions, followed up by a pre-emptive military strike and invasion? Now there’s the ticket! We’ll just flash some of that good ol’ fashion American superiority around and crush them like bugs with our military might. The whole world will then be witness to the overwhelming force, and iron fist, of almighty America. They’ll bow in our presence and respect our overwhelming dominance in the world, for sure.

If you buy #1 as a viable option, then you’re even more delusional than I’ve previously given you credit for.

2 - Once the talks collapse, Iran will simply accelerate their efforts to produce the bomb. Israel (Netenyahu) will then say, “I told you so”, and America and Israel will cheerfully collaborate on a Master War Plan to rid the world those filthy dogs. We’ll show them!!

Again, if you think #2 is a workable solution, then may God help us all!

I just can’t figure it. Where did we go wrong? How did we get so stupid? What is our problem? Can’t we all just get along? I guess this is what happens when you have a gang of monkeys armed to the teeth and packin’ a hefty arsenal of 50 megaton thermonuclear devices...

PS: I think there’s only been 1 prosecution involving the Logan Act, and it was in the early 1800’s. So, I won’t hold my breathe on that happening. This incident will just go down as an embarassing display of the state of American politics, and the petty, unbounded ignorance of our “leaders”. And, as much as I’d love to see these imbeciles in the Senate hog-tied and physically removed from the Capitol, I think in the U.S. Constitution under Article III, section 3, the charge of treason only applies in wartime. Regardless, in my book these folks are traitors...

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
What the GOP said to Iran, in simplest terms, is: "We don't care what you do, just help up embarrass our president..."

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Speaking of the other related thread, buster2010 posted this Jon Stewart video in that thread and had me laughing my ass off... so I'll share it here too:

Too funny !

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

They’re ‘f*cking cuckoo bananas’ is right.

How to Recall a U.S. Senator

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Another interesting take.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Whoa! These guys are not dummies. Using the terminology, "a stroke of the pen", was genius. When Obama said the same thing to congress and threatened to cut them out of America's affairs (and actually did, btw), he opened a big can of worms. That's Obama. He envisions himself as Supreme Leader. (Maybe Valerie Jarrett has high hopes for her Supreme One.) He more or less told Congress that he is a one-man show. They let him and his buddies in Iran know they can do the same thing.

Anyway, per John Kerry today, these negotiations are not legally binding anyway.

Secretary of State John Kerry said “we are not negotiating a legally binding plan” with Iran in testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Wednesday. “With respect to the talks, we’ve been clear from the beginning. We’re not negotiating a ‘legally binding’ plan. We’re negotiating a plan that will have in it a capacity for enforcement. We don’t even have diplomatic relations with Iran right now.
Testimony Before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
edit on 11-3-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
See how easy this would have been.

If Obama and his bunch of whiny pouty cry babies had gone and got some anger management counseling after the House and Senate went to the Republicans, and doubled down on that counseling when Bibi came to speak to our representatives, we may not have this issue to examine.

Had he not tried to cut OUR elected representatives out of the loop, well....we may not be having this discussion. He is a pitiful leader.

I

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Secretary of State John Kerry said “we are not negotiating a legally binding plan”

Oh the Irony !!

DaaHaHaHa

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

You do know that the US is not the only country involved in these negotiations with Iran, right ?

So how is it that a handful of US senators are able to trump agreements that involve other countries beyond their own ?

If that's the case, then why does the rest of world even bother negotiating with one another when a handful of US congress members can just merrily skip along and erase it with a wave of their magic wand ?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

You do know that the US is not the only country involved in these negotiations with Iran, right ?

So how is it that a handful of US senators are able to trump agreements that involve other countries beyond their own ?

If that's the case, then why does the rest of world even bother negotiating with one another when a handful of US congress members can just merrily skip along and erase it with a wave of their magic wand ?

I don't think that is what they did.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I don't think that is what they did.

Nope, not yet.

That's what they've threatened in their letter.

So if a handful of US senators can wipe out world affair agreements, why is the world bothering with involving themselves in what obviously is a US members only club gathering ?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I know, Cranial, but from everything I have researched, their letter is accurate, albeit simply stated.
edit on 11-3-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

The point is, that's not how foreign affairs works when other countries are involved.

You can't just handle this stuff all willy-nilly without serious repercussions coming from the UN and all the other countries involved in it.

The world does not revolve around 47 disgruntled senators.

edit on 11-3-2015 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
And the backpedaling continues. "I signed the letter to Iran, but you know what, the message I was sending was to you," Paul told administration officials present at the hearing.

Right. The next excuse will be, "The letter WAS meant for the President but was sent to the wrong address....1400 Pennsylvania Ave."

Politically, the letter eliminated some potential GOP presidential candidates. Jeb Bush and Scott Walker survived the challenge. Neither said they supported it; Bush blamed Obama, and Walker's statement was innocuous.
edit on 11-3-2015 by desert because: sp

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Excuse Number 2: McCain's breathtaking defense of signing the Iran letter: "I sign lots of letters"

:roll :: roll:
look I am at my table drinking O.J it's 10:30 am pls don't have me laughing so hard O.J came out of my nose it's kinda painful..

edit on 11-3-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

Rand Paul Says the Letter to Iran 'Should've Been CC-ed to the White House'

ROFLOL

The Iranians already did.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

An Open Letter to 47 Republican Senators of the United States of America from Iran’s Hard-Liners

Our system, like yours, has its critics. Some portray our Council of Guardians as unelected ideologues who override the will of the people. The charge is absurd, as your own experience demonstrates. In your country’s three most recent elections, which together produced your Senate’s entire current membership, the other party’s nominees won 5 million more votes than yours did. Nevertheless, you control the chamber. The true will of the people, as you know, is to follow those of us who understand what is best.

Thank you once again for this enlightening exchange. Prompted by your letter, our council has decided to end the talks with your secretary of state and dismiss nuclear inspectors from our country. We look forward to working with you in the future on other matters of common interest, such as prayer, capital punishment, and troops in Iraq.

Sincerely,

Council of Guardians
The Islamic Republic of Iran

edit on 3/12/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Round-Up: Editorial Boards From Around the Country Respond to the 47 Republican Senators

Earlier this week, 47 Republican Senators sent a letter to Iran’s leaders that was expressly designed to undercut the President in the midst of sensitive international negotiations. This letter ignores two centuries of precedent and threatens to undermine the ability of any future American President – Democrat or Republican – to negotiate with other nations on behalf of the United States. America’s influence in the world depends on its ability to honor its commitments, and this letter was a partisan effort to score political points at the expense of America’s credibility and standing in the world.

Many Americans – whether they agree with the President’s policies or not – expressed outrage, disbelief, and disappointment at the Senators’ actions.

Here is a small sample of the coverage that this partisan effort has generated across the country [Click to See].

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Excuse Number 4: Iran letter blowback startles GOP John McCain: “It was kind of a very rapid process. Everybody was looking forward to getting out of town because of the snowstorm.”

Blame the snow.

Here's the blowback they wished for...

Khamenei slams Republican letter on Iran, hits at U.S. 'backstabbing'

Mehr quoted Khamenei as saying: "Of course I am worried, because the other side is known for opacity, deceit and backstabbing."

"Every time we reach a stage where the end of the negotiations is in sight, the tone of the other side, specifically the Americans, becomes harsher, coarser and tougher. This is the nature of their tricks and deceptions."

The negotiations, which resume in Lausanne, Switzerland, next week, are at a critical juncture as the sides try to meet an end of March target for an interim deal, with a final deal in June.

Good job GOP! Next time, don't use the Senate stationary. You don't speak for us.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join