It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Juncker: NATO is not enough, EU needs an army

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

My husband has dealt with the effects of the EU professionally for years, and he has not much good to say about it. It sound to me a lot like what would happen if someone arbitrarily decided to make the UN the sudden ultimate governing authority. I would expect that to go about as well. I just fail to see how there is much accountability in the overall structure.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

My husband has dealt with the effects of the EU professionally for years, and he has not much good to say about it. It sound to me a lot like what would happen if someone arbitrarily decided to make the UN the sudden ultimate governing authority. I would expect that to go about as well. I just fail to see how there is much accountability in the overall structure.

Then you can understand why most the UK want out poltically or at the very least a step back.

As you can see none of us brits on here think closer political ties is a good thing.

To paraphrase what one of your wise founding fathers said "free trade and goodwill to all but no entangling alliances"

Historicaly speaking one of the reasons the UK has survived so long and so succefully is that we have always kept some what aloof to the Europan mainland. Only getting involved if we have to for our soverign political or economic survival.

edit on 9-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Yeah, because Britain has never been partially conquered, or invaded.

The future is to stick together as one.

We started as savages, and most likely group-animals. So, group against group. Next step were probably tribes against tribes, then region against region -> country against country -> nation against nation (Where we are today.)
Next step would probably be more like -> Planet against planet (Or in our case, since there is no ETs in our solarsystem) Solar system against solar system, if it turns out there is a mass amount of ETs, in some sort of federation, this step would be skipped and gone directly to either solar system vs federation, or federation vs federation.

This process only seems natural to me, granted we make it that far. So UK wants out of EU? Fine, but it won't help mankind in any way.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBargisen
Yeah, because Britain has never been partially conquered, or invaded.
What?!! Romans, Jutes, Angles, Saxons, Normans, Vikings...
You are joking yeah?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SBargisen

Yeah the last time was 1066 AD.

Thats a better track record than anywere else. So we must be doing something right.

End of the day you can keep your EU.

But if your guys go down this route dont expect the UK to follow.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I was being sarcastic.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

We all know that UK will follow anyway.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Fair one, but as our Ewok friend said, 1066 was the last time, we do ok on this island defending ourselves, and I will oppose any signing over of UK military sovereignty to the EU, as probably pretty much all the country will, aside from EU nationals living here who have the vote of course.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
We didn't follow the struggling Euro currency, what do you base your assertion on that we will follow EU responsibility for defence? I think that's crazy talk no offence.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBargisen

We all know that UK will follow anyway.

I would not count on it if junker and merkal keep shouting there mouths off.

We will very likely have a EU referendum.

Support here for the EU is wanning as it is. With alot of people on the fence.

Talk of EU armies and more EU politics and petty laws will just just push those on the fence into the anti EU crowd.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

If the population opposes more cooperation with EU, and everything that comes with it. Then just wait and see, something will happen in the UK, that will make the population want EU.

- I have probably been reading too much illuminazi.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
May I ask what country you are from?
*Edit*
Just seen your recent posts, Denmark.
Is it a popular thought for EU defence in Denmark?
I say you can keep it on your side of the North Sea as far as I'm concerned.

edit on 9.3.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Yeah Denmark, honestly I don't think many people are aware of military strenghts within the EU, and I don't think they even care about it. Neither do I, but from a logical viewpoint, I think it is vital to stick together as a union, and not go "solo".

IF we were to be attacked, let's say by Russia, with no union or Nato or anything, Russia would start off with Ukraine and Germany, France, UK etc. would be like "Oh, that's eastern Europe, nothing to do with me." And slowly Russia would move closer and closer, untill the # is piled up at our doorstep.

With a union, we would be able to pose a threat to any attacker. From my viewpoint it is all about cooperation. As a specie that is were we thrive, and always has. By working together we can accomplish so much more.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Ukraine is not part of the EU or NATO though. An invasion over the EU border anywhere would be a total different event, Poland, Hungary, Latvia...that is massively different to Ukraine, as we've already seen with Crimea.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Oh, actually thought Ukraine were part of EU, my bad.
But this kinda summs up what I just wrote

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
If we were just trading partners we could still all agree to defend each other if something threatens us all, NATO is good enough in my thoughts.
Unlucky for Ukraine not being members of NATO, I don't want a world war over them, sorry but its honest.
If Russia stops at NATO and EU borders then I'll be happy with that.
We don't need some EU army and as I said, I'll be honestly shocked if any British folk actually supported the idea.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Just would like to say one more thing to this:
I am happy if continental Europe sticks together and sees reality, we are already one bunch of people, we've been over eachother and breeding and trading for the last 3000 years from Turkey to Portugal. I'd welcome every continental European and would be happy to help anyone who needs it. The evolution cultural and social is pointing towards a space faring collaborating world union.
And for all the Brits, like already stated your big days are over, and what exactly was it that made you so big? Oh right, slave ships, pirates and buccaneers. Then the industrial revolution and frankly the las time I checked, people laugh about you, want to know what others say about you?
You drink too much, your women get naked on every given chance and your behaviour is racistic, narcistic and rude. Nobody likes and wants you for a reason, you are aggressive, the biggest achievement lately was the invention of Hooligans. Also there are a few features that show that you inbreeded too mch for the last few thousand years. Clubfeet are called English feet in German. Might want to think about that.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple
Wow, interesting rant, it says much about the author.
Pretty much none of your post has drawn me closer to supporting further EU integration, or the UK being part of any EU army though. Good luck with it, but the UK is unlikely to join you in that trainwreck.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Peeple
Wow, interesting rant, it says much about the author.
Pretty much none of your post has drawn me closer to supporting further EU integration, or the UK being part of any EU army though. Good luck with it, but the UK is unlikely to join you in that trainwreck.

Exactly.

Its why the UK does not trust the EU, because of attitudes like that.

I do not want people who disdain me being the ones protecting my country.

Anyway you need economy to have a army. And the EU wont have a economy soon the ways its going.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
Just would like to say one more thing to this:
I am happy if continental Europe sticks together and sees reality, we are already one bunch of people, we've been over eachother and breeding and trading for the last 3000 years from Turkey to Portugal. I'd welcome every continental European and would be happy to help anyone who needs it. The evolution cultural and social is pointing towards a space faring collaborating world union.
And for all the Brits, like already stated your big days are over, and what exactly was it that made you so big? Oh right, slave ships, pirates and buccaneers. Then the industrial revolution and frankly the las time I checked, people laugh about you, want to know what others say about you?
You drink too much, your women get naked on every given chance and your behaviour is racistic, narcistic and rude. Nobody likes and wants you for a reason, you are aggressive, the biggest achievement lately was the invention of Hooligans. Also there are a few features that show that you inbreeded too mch for the last few thousand years. Clubfeet are called English feet in German. Might want to think about that.

Wow, I find it interesting that you choose to call the English both racist and rude whilst being so in your racist and insulting attack on an entire nation.

I think your attitude expresses perfectly the general attitude in the United Kingdom as far as taking back our individuality and standing alone.

If your opinion is as you seem to belive the prevailing one then then the sooner we leave the better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join