It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A gigantic mushroom cloud photographed on Mars by the Indian Mars Orbitor

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I just came across this today. In a photo of the Martian surface there appears to be a mushroom cloud. Mars has no plate tectonics or volcanic activities. I have no idea what could cause this.

This Mars Orbiter, which was launched by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) on November 5, 2013 has spotted what looks like a mushroom cloud on the planet’s surface.

Taken by the onboard Mars Colour Camera (MCC), these images have been quickly uploaded to the ISRO’s website, with a great amount of detail.

The large mushroom cloud was sighted in the Valles Marineris Canyon, which is located along the equator of the planet, which spans close to a quarter of the planet’s circumference.

Link to article

ISRO Mars orbitor official facebook page
edit on 9/3/15 by asen_y2k because: Links

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Swamp gas!

LOL

Very interesting! Who is responsible!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

That apparent anomaly was already noticed in this post from yesterday… and promoted on our Twitter feed:

However, that thread didn't explore the potential of a very-large explosion. So we'll keep this thread open.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Nice find.

Thanks, and where have you been?

# 384

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
umm..... thats just... massive

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheWhiteKnight
Nice find.

Thanks, and where have you been?

# 384

Back to India from Ukraine. Once I left, I stopped updating the Ukraine thread.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Are all the rovers still reporting in?
I wonder because a lot of the early sats etc that we sent there mysteriously dissapeared or stopped working!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Are there any known rovers in that area? Anything that could be experimenting or maybe nuking Mars?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Already discussed in this thread HERE

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I will got to: atmosphere or/and cloud formation...

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It could be an asteroid hit. Mars' two moons are pretty wimpy and terrible at capturing harmful objects. I doubt a Nuclear Weapon could have been detonated on Mars, but you never know! Either way, I hope the various space agencies use this to collect valuable seismic data.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
in a pic from another angle there appears to be a smaller plume to the top and right from another "explosion"

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: voyger2

I will got to: atmosphere or/and cloud formation...

Could be a wierd dust storm. I doubt its a cloud formation as the base is touching the ground.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Mars.. just smoke and mirrors. .

Pretty interesting though. Better watch out for those Martian farts, they are nuclear

Haha silly ness aside, cool thread. It's been a collective idea, that if Martians exist, they would be underground.

Then you get the weird underground things on Earth, and the moon is hollow... maybe the hollow-like bodies of planets and moons are better blueprints for civilizations? Too much catastrophe opportunities above surface?

Regardless, we need a robot that can explore caves and tunnels of the Martian body. And get underground of that wasted landscape.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I never saw atmosphere formation (neither anyone on this earth) so I'm just on the guessing realm

or this:

edit on 9/3/2015 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Could this be a form of a tornado? We know Mars has dust storms so could this be what a Martian tornado looks like from space? A tornado on Earth looks similar to a hurricane but maybe the Mars atmosphere makes them look like what we are seeing here.

Just a suggestion because I really don't know if Mars winds can create a tornado.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
perhaps a deep impact meteorite that penetrated to a big pocket of trapped methane in the strata

my eye-brain tries to recognize a rising mushroom cloud along with the ground level shock-blast going out from ground zero

but a nuke test on Mars? from a species living on one of the moons of Saturn or Jupiter perhaps?
not wanting to risk disturbing the music-of-the-spheres in their own system...
and possibly being aware that humans of earth were monitoring Mars..

could that 'anomaly' be a 'line-in-the-red-sand'... for humans Not To Cross beyond? OR to Not even Get To (no Mars colony allowed)

on reading the OP Link...

I have to ask what is the date of this image being recorded...

and a look at the same spot some days/weeks/months afterward from the apparent 'event'

Unless the answer is just a mundane one and the article is just a juiced up to generate comment and controversy... the responsible investigative reporter would seek the most recent images of the Mars surface in that area of the dated event/anomaly/nuke explosion
... it ain't My job ~~~ so is there any ATS'ers that want to tackle this
edit on th31142592810509082015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

edit on th31142592816609092015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
My guess is a comet or meteor impact of some sort. I think that would make a lot more sense than a bomb of any sort.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Find another image of the same area at a different time and compare the two. I suggest that it just happens to be the way the sun is hitting that valley.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

There's probably a certain ATSer going through NASA archives looking for an equivalent image from the same location. We could compare them.

With only the one ISRO image, it's hard to say it's a trick of perspective although it's the likeliest explanation. Canyons, rilles and craters can appear convex rather than concave. Craters therefore appear to be domes and rilles can seem to be 'glass tubes.' Maybe they'll publish sequential shots?

As far as I'm aware we don't have a seismometer up there to register any activity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join