It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2015 Best routers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Honestly? Every single TPLNK I've ever come accross has been garbage. From GUI to options to general performance.

It's great for somebody whose gonna plug it in and leave it there, but if you intend on doing any kind of configuration it's just not up to par long term.

But I'm picky.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I love these sorts of discussions.

May I ask...

1. Detachable antennas : Capabilities to add external omni and or directional antenna to get signal about a quarter to half mile away.

...why?

Thanks,

edit on 9-3-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots

I love these sorts of discussions.

May I ask...

1. Detachable antennas : Capabilities to add external omni and or directional antenna to get signal about a quarter to half mile away.

...why?

Thanks,

I have a second home that my parents stay at that I would like to provide access to my home media server ,files, pictures and possibly internet access when I'm there.

I was thinking of using two external omni at each location and or combo with directional antenna to accomplish this.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I have a second home that my parents stay at that I would like to provide access to my home media server

That's very cool. I saw too late that you had a NAS on your list, so that makes sense. I've been the starvingest student in the world and I work mostly with reporpoised equipment, so the last thing I put dd-wrt on is an old $20.00 WRT54GL (linksys). So I'm not going to be much help. But I'm learning about these newest routers, so thanks.

Have fun, sounds awesome.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

I've been the starvingest student in the world and I work mostly with reporpoised equipment,

Been there and done that .
Stick with it.

Ramen noodle was my friend with 5 dollar mystery pizzas. I ate so much Ramen noodles I thought I was going to start getting some radioactive glow on my skin. Although 15 years later I still get a craving for the mexican fiesta Ramen noodle , the 5 dollar pizza not so much.

In my book if you haven't had to struggle at some time in your life you are likely to become a pompous ass and not fully appreciate things in life. They also usually tend to be that guy who can't see things through other peoples eyes. but I digress.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Yeah, the interface from what I have seen looks lacking. However, that can be overcome with some of their models with open source router software. Plus I plan to set it up and forget about it.

For the price 20-80 bucks I can overlook failure after a couple years of use since by then their will be something new and better for the same price range.

however, consistency would be hard to overlook. The constant random disconnects would be a real issue for me. Especially dealing with the comcr@p tc8305c gateway disconnects and un reliable wifi coverage.

So anyone of those routers I expect to outperform the tc8305c gateway which allows me to stream for the most part without issues besides the random disconnects. However, those disconnects occur while streaming or when not streaming and just accessing a websites.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Lot of good recommendations in this thread. I'm a big Cisco fan. Microtik is one I haven't heard mentioned. It's a semi-commercial router that can do a lot of what expensive Cisco routers can do, but it does require a little bit of network knowledge.

Real Router

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
BTW you can use two of these to connect houses a couple miles apart.
Point to Point Connect

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
One model not on your list is the TP-Link Archer C7. I bought one this year because my Netgear router finally died. You may want to take a look as it's cheaper than the C8 or C9, but is still loaded with features. It's been performing like a champ. No issues whatsoever when streaming live TV wirelessly over my network with an HD Homerun dual tuner unlike the Netgear router.

Archer C7

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: lobograndemalo

Great thanks for the suggestion on Microtik. That one you linked is tempting for the same price as the asus. However, the Asus has AC bandwidth . I will have to look further into it.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

Glad you mentioned that. I have been looking at that one as well. Amazon has it for 90 bucks and the c8 for 115 bucks.

My problem is that I keep going up in price than back down again.

I think well for $25 dollar extra i can get the c8 that has usb 3.0.

Then I starting thinking well for $35 bucks more I can get the $150 C9. Then I say well for another 30 bucks I can get the Asus RT-AC68U which everyone seems to praise and I have seen last years model work flawlessly at a friends house.

I'm basically all over the place.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: lobograndemalo

Yeah I was thinking of directional but I need to check my line of site and obstructions especially in the 5ghz range. I think their are trees on the way that will hinder my chances with a directional antenna.

I was thinking that possibly two Omni directional external antennas might be better at both location if there are some direct obstructions with trees.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I am in the southern hemisphere and have found that most of the Netgear, D-Link, Linksys and Cisco "home market" routers have been poor performers compared to brands like Billion and Draytek.

If you pay for the more expensive "enterprise" level of hardware, then they are good, but then it is an expensive path (I'm actually using a Cisco Meraki AP which is good in some respects).

My preference in a home environment is for Draytek which seems a good balance of price & performance.

Also, I would hold off on buying the 'Wireless AC' stuff until version 2 is commercially available. Remember that 'AC' is Cisco's technology, so they are likely to have the jump on other companies.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

have found that most of the Netgear, D-Link, Linksys and Cisco "home market" routers have been poor performers compared to brands like Billion and Draytek.

My experience with those brands have been the same that is why I was looking at the Asus and TPlink which has gotten good reviews online for the money. However, I never heard of Billion and Draytek so I will check them out

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well I checked today and their are plenty of trees between the two locations I was trying to network about .25 mile or less apart [1200'] .

So I think the directional and anything above 2.4 Ghz will be out of the question. Has anyone tried to network two places apart within 1200' with obstruction?

I'm thinking my only possible hope would be a 900 MHz Omni directional antenna. Perhaps something like this:
www.streakwave.com...

Anyone done anything like this and using a 900 MHz antenna. I'm curious of what that download speeds would be. I'm thinking the 900 MHz range will be slower but allow for greater penetration around objects.

edit on 07331America/ChicagoTue, 10 Mar 2015 20:07:12 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join