It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP continues drive for preemptive "war of choice" with Iran

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Joe Biden Goes Ballistic On Senate Republicans: Iran Letter Beneath 'Dignity Of An Institution I Revere'

WASHINGTON -- Vice President Joe Biden is furious.

Biden, who also serves as president of the Senate, Monday night blasted Senate Republicans in a long, angry statement for their letter to Iran's leaders, which he described as "beneath the dignity of an institution I revere."

Forty-seven Republicans on Sunday wrote directly to Tehran to suggest that any nuclear deal with the Obama administration would not be constitutionally binding because a future president or Congress could take steps to revoke it. Biden called the move an unprecedented affront "designed to undercut a sitting president."

"In thirty-six years in the United States Senate, I cannot recall another instance in which Senators wrote directly to advise another country -- much less a longtime foreign adversary -- that the President does not have the constitutional authority to reach a meaningful understanding with them. This letter sends a highly misleading signal to friend and foe alike that that our Commander-in-Chief cannot deliver on America’s commitments -- a message that is as false as it is dangerous," Biden said in a statement released by the White House.

"This letter sends a highly misleading signal to friend and foe alike that that our Commander-in-Chief cannot deliver on America’s commitments -- a message that is as false as it is dangerous," Nothing like giving comfort and aid to a 'foreign adversary,' maybe the GOP and hardline Mullahs have something in common.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

The GOP letter was blindingly stupid. The US wields power abroad as a single entity, guided by the foreign policy of the Executive Branch, which Congress is sure to comment on, but they do not have the constitutional right to deal in foreign policy on their own, to the leaders of a foreign nation, when the US is working with a coalition to make a deal happen.

Negotiations are in progress. You don't like the President and disagree, then say so within the bounds of our nation-state. I can only imagine the livid screams of "TREASON!!!!" that would be coming from the Right if this were reversed.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

This was my favorite quote from the reply by Dr. Fariz. Please note that I have great ambivalence regarding Iran, and am not "pro-Iran."

Foreign Minister Zarif added that "I should bring one important point to the attention of the authors and that is, the world is not the United States, and the conduct of inter-state relations is governed by international law, and not by US domestic law. The authors may not fully understand that in international law, governments represent the entirety of their respective states, are responsible for the conduct of foreign affairs, are required to fulfil the obligations they undertake with other states and may not invoke their internal law as justification for failure to perform their international obligations.

Source - The Letter

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Who were they punking, Iran or us or both? ....here, I clipped this news article out about another letter found in Tom Cotton's file cabinet, ready to use when North Korea and the US negotiate

Merry Pranksters At It Again

An Open Letter to Kim Jong Un

Perhaps you don't understand how we govern here. It's not just our President who makes decisions, but we do, too. We can take away the passport of Dennis Rodman. How you rikey that? Huh, huh?

Besides, even though you are a crazy man, our President is crazier, and we don't trust him. So anything he has you sign is stupid, and we won't approve of it. Remember that as negotiations progress.

You called our President a gangster, well, we do, too; but remember that we can and will nuke NK off the world's map. And if you don't understand what we write, we're going to translate it into Chinese for you.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join