It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Florida, officials ban term 'climate change'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

1st Amendment, Freedom of Speech, press, ect. Have you even read the article and do you truly understand what has happened here?

Please if you post, please contribute something meaningful to the conversation, not a rant that goes no where.

This is outright censorship that is happening within the government. They are censoring the general consensus within the scientific community. This means that we do not have a free and open government currently in Florida. This means we have a government that believes it is okay to ignore that the intellects and experts have to say on some important issues.

The Al Gore references did not take long. They have no business in this thread yet some find it necessary to trash every climate changed with attacks on Al Gore.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

In Florida, officials ban term 'climate change'

Where's the proof of a "Ban"?

No proof no case.

Exactly!!!

I call be and hyperbole!!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

1st Amendment, Freedom of Speech, press, ect. Have you even read the article and do you truly understand what has happened here?

Please if you post, please contribute something meaningful to the conversation, not a rant that goes no where.

This is outright censorship that is happening within the government. They are censoring the general consensus within the scientific community. This means that we do not have a free and open government currently in Florida. This means we have a government that believes it is okay to ignore that the intellects and experts have to say on some important issues.

The Al Gore references did not take long. They have no business in this thread yet some find it necessary to trash every climate changed with attacks on Al Gore.

No you are attempting to censor the public from refraining their officials from using obviously bs suedo science at best bs to frighten the public into subjecting themselves into getting taxed further, and paying more for everything for absolutely no reason.
.quit with hyperbole.

I killed the AGW argument 10 ways from Sunday already this thread.

It is bs.

If you are a scientist and your paycheck depends on proving AGW to keep coming guess what you find.

The only grants from the federal gov ( by far the single largest grsnt giver on earth BTW)for climate change have been in the for category for decades.

Since the late 80s if you were not for it, you got zero grants.

This fact alone should be ringing your ATS alarm bells off their posts.

The only research that gets federal funding is the research that proves it is real.

None at all to see if it is.

None at all against for a counter point, which is how science actually works BTW.

This is the biggest bunch if bs I have ever seen in modern science.

If thus was einsteins theory of relativity , he would have not published and left in disgust.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: mc_squared

Al Gore is an idiot but a very shrewd and rich man.

P

Ahemmm!!!!!

Seems to me the Ice cap used to be a lot bigger. If it is growing then where is the build up of ice going?

Where is the growth?

edit on 9-3-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

DEP officials have been ordered not to use the term “climate change” or “global warming” in any official communications, emails, or reports, according to former DEP employees, consultants, volunteers and records obtained by the Florida Center for Investigative Reporting.

The policy goes beyond semantics and has affected reports, educational efforts and public policy in a department with about 3,200 employees and $1.4 billion budget.

“We were told not to use the terms ‘climate change,’ ‘global warming’ or ‘sustainability,’” said Christopher Byrd, an attorney with the DEP’s Office of General Counsel in Tallahassee from 2008 to 2013. “That message was communicated to me and my colleagues by our superiors in the Office of General Counsel.”

Kristina Trotta, another former DEP employee who worked in Miami, said her supervisor told her not to use the terms “climate change” and “global warming” in a 2014 staff meeting. “We were told that we were not allowed to discuss anything that was not a true fact,” she said.

This unwritten policy went into effect after Gov. Rick Scott took office in 2011 and appointed Herschel Vinyard Jr. as the DEP’s director, according to former DEP employees. Gov. Scott, who won a second term in November, has repeatedly said he is not convinced that climate change is caused by human activity, despite scientific evidence to the contrary.

Vinyard has since resigned. Neither he nor his successor, Scott Steverson, would comment for this article.

“DEP does not have a policy on this,” the department’s press secretary, Tiffany Cowie, wrote in an email. She declined to respond to three other emails requesting more information.

“There’s no policy on this,” wrote Jeri Bustamante, Scott’s spokeswoman, in an email.

But four former DEP employees from offices around the state say the order was well known and distributed verbally statewide.

One former DEP employee who worked in Tallahassee during Scott’s first term in office, and asked not to be identified because of an ongoing business relationship with the department, said staffers were warned that using the terms in reports would bring unwanted attention to their projects.

Florida Center for Investigative Reporting has uncovered this. It is happening, yet officially Rick Scott's staffers deny this, despite the information we have that says otherwise.

This by definition is a conspiracy that Rick Scott and the GOP of Florida are engaging in, yet they will continue to play the disinformation game unless we the people do something to stop it.

Unfortunately most simply do not care about the science and this topic is boring and not worthy of our attention. As if watching the next young celebrity self destruct is so much more worthy of our attention

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Yup this thread is quickly turning into a comedy of “what Al Gore & the climate scientists said” according to deniers.
What Al Gore actually said:

Last September 21 (2007), as the Northern Hemisphere tilted away from the sun, scientists reported with unprecedented distress that the North Polar ice cap is "falling off a cliff." One study estimated that it could be completely gone during summer in less than 22 years. Another new study, to be presented by U.S. Navy researchers later this week, warns it could happen in as little as 7 years.

Arctic Sea Ice and Al Gore's "Prediction 2013"

Which is absolutely true. Arctic sea ice is falling off a cliff. Al Gore was referring to an exceptional record low set in 2007. That record was then completely shattered again in 2012. Here’s what the actual observations (in red) looked like compared to the much more conservative long term projections (in black):

In the two summers since 2012, all that’s happened is the sea ice has returned back to the long term trend line, much like it did in the two years following the previous record of 2007. The only reason it’s a “43% recovery” is because the 2012 record low was so extreme, this is how much it took just to get back to the trend line (which is itself still decreasing rapidly):

The point is there is nothing particularly hyperbolic about what Al Gore said, and Arctic sea ice is still falling right off that cliff. Those people who seriously think it's “recovering” are just grossly incompetent at reading graphs, and probably need someone like Rush Limbaugh to interpret everything for them.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
First of all, the words aren't banned so I am not sure why anyone would give credence to this article. Secondly, maybe if something that was predicted by these 'scientists' actually came true someone would be more interested in their 'predictions'.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I like how climate conspiracy theorists quickly brushed off the cognitive dissonance this thread must have triggered by making up a bunch of predictions, and then congratulating themselves on those statements not coming true.

We should just get this trending on twitter or something:

“if I recall correctly…Al Gore said we’d all be fighting each other with harpoons, and drinking our own urine by now”

#climatedeniermemories #clueless

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

DaaHaHaHa

No Proof,

and yet people think there's scientific proof of CO2 making global warming from scientists.

And they believe this crazy Wack-O story without any flinching.

Double standards in effect I now see.

BwaaaHaHaHa

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

DEP officials have been ordered not to use the term “climate change” or “global warming” in any official communications, emails, or reports, according to former DEP employees, consultants, volunteers and records obtained by the Florida Center for Investigative Reporting.

The policy goes beyond semantics and has affected reports, educational efforts and public policy in a department with about 3,200 employees and $1.4 billion budget.

“We were told not to use the terms ‘climate change,’ ‘global warming’ or ‘sustainability,’” said Christopher Byrd, an attorney with the DEP’s Office of General Counsel in Tallahassee from 2008 to 2013. “That message was communicated to me and my colleagues by our superiors in the Office of General Counsel.”

Kristina Trotta, another former DEP employee who worked in Miami, said her supervisor told her not to use the terms “climate change” and “global warming” in a 2014 staff meeting. “We were told that we were not allowed to discuss anything that was not a true fact,” she said.

This unwritten policy went into effect after Gov. Rick Scott took office in 2011 and appointed Herschel Vinyard Jr. as the DEP’s director, according to former DEP employees. Gov. Scott, who won a second term in November, has repeatedly said he is not convinced that climate change is caused by human activity, despite scientific evidence to the contrary.

Vinyard has since resigned. Neither he nor his successor, Scott Steverson, would comment for this article.

“DEP does not have a policy on this,” the department’s press secretary, Tiffany Cowie, wrote in an email. She declined to respond to three other emails requesting more information.

“There’s no policy on this,” wrote Jeri Bustamante, Scott’s spokeswoman, in an email.

But four former DEP employees from offices around the state say the order was well known and distributed verbally statewide.

One former DEP employee who worked in Tallahassee during Scott’s first term in office, and asked not to be identified because of an ongoing business relationship with the department, said staffers were warned that using the terms in reports would bring unwanted attention to their projects.

Florida Center for Investigative Reporting has uncovered this. It is happening, yet officially Rick Scott's staffers deny this, despite the information we have that says otherwise.

This by definition is a conspiracy that Rick Scott and the GOP of Florida are engaging in, yet they will continue to play the disinformation game unless we the people do something to stop it.

Unfortunately most simply do not care about the science and this topic is boring and not worthy of our attention. As if watching the next young celebrity self destruct is so much more worthy of our attention

As I have proven, I am interested. As long as we are going to actually apply science.

Many times higher co2 in the atmosphere, no out of control warming.

In fact, at even a thousand times higher co2 no out of control warming happened.

Why can it magically happen this time?

Because comp models that have not one time been accurate say so?

Historic evidence says bs, which means it has to be proved because that has already been disproved.

Over 1000 ppm co2 no out of control warming, no bs ocean acidification, nothing but lush green world.

There are millions of years of evidence for this.

There is no opposing view but comp models that have been wrong every single time about every thing.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

Haha...

Here is another one.

They even tout that logic in this thread.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

DaaHaHaHa

No Proof,

and yet people think there's scientific proof of CO2 making global warming from scientists.

And they believe this crazy Wack-O story without any flinching.

Double standards in effect I now see.

BwaaaHaHaHa

These are satellite observations of infrared radiation being trapped in our atmosphere right now at the exact wavelengths CO2 (and other GHGs) are known to trap IR energy at. These are real world observations, not models.

You are very ignorant, but keep bwaaaahahahaing all you want. This thread has become another shining example of the intelligence level (and comprehension of reality) for typical climate "skeptics".

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I would have thought Alaska or Hawaii would be the states most at risk from the effects of climate change.

Sea Level rises would drastically affect Florida though (the lowest state in the USA) but also much of the South, where most climate change deniers live.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Step 1) Create Strawman

Step 2) Knock Strawman down

Step 3) Arbitrarily declare victory and then go on to belittle the 'other side' for being losers and siding with said Strawman

Repeat as needed, change up Strawman if necessary.

Al Gore and these WaterWorld predictions are the Strawman here.

This cycle never seems to end in threads like this.
edit on 9-3-2015 by jrod because: of->and

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

What's funny too (or sad, really) is how much they try to float all these strawmen past the actual predictions that are in fact coming true:

Rising Sea Levels Are Already Making Miami's Floods Worse

^But this data is not valid because I read on some random message board that Al Gore predicted all of Miami would be under 300 feet of water by now! These climate alarmists are so full of hyperbole lolz

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Step 1) Create Strawman

Step 2) Knock Strawman down

Step 3) Arbitrarily declare victory and then go on to belittle the 'other side' for being losers and siding with said Strawman

Repeat as needed, change up Strawman if necessary.

Al Gore and these WaterWorld predictions are the Strawman here.

This cycle never seems to end in threads like this.

Lol, yes, pointing out known scientific facts is now a straw mam....

Fail!!!!!!

Co2 has been way way way higher, no out of control warming has ever once happened, this is a fact.

Apply science.

Now prove magically a vastly lower co2 concentration will magically cause this to happen.

Oh wait, you have no historic or scientific basis for this claim.......

Strawman much?

You lose...facts FTW!!!!!+

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   

What 'known' scientific facts have you pointed out in this thread?

All I have read from you is a bunch of word play and elementary school debate tactics. No science, no data to back up anything you have claimed. You are essentially disrupting the flow of conversation in this thread. Your rant about how this is the same as(a bunch of arbitrary stuff that you made up) is pure malarkey.(a reply to: johnwick) I can give some parallels about how this(the censoring of science by Florida's governor) is consistent with actions that Nazi Germany took to control their propaganda machine.

Never in human history have we seen CO2 levels this high. This spike of CO2 we are currently observing is also an anomaly in terms of the geological record.

edit on 9-3-2015 by jrod because: add reply

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I have some questions about global warming for any brains out there.

When using co2 to feed plant during their light cycle, one places the distribution tubing above the plants because it is heavier than air. This would make co2 sink to the ground in the atmosphere, would it not?

Plants absorb the co2 during the day, and release the oxygen at night. Would it not make more sense to plant more trees, if you want to reduce co2?

Everyone knows the effect of an ice cube melting in a glass of water. The ice also takes up more space than it does when melted. Knowing this, have you ever flown over the ocean, or heck, even looked at a globe?
The ice caps are tiny and almost nonexistent compared to the oceans size. This is without factoring the depths of the ocean in miles at some places.

There sheer volume of the ocean is mind boggling, I don't think people can grasp this concept.

I think you could melt both poles 5 times and not see a rise in sea levels.

What say you?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Sounds like a nice propaganda piece by the democrats.

Use a strand of truth based on a few people's account of what happened, to paint the picture that every single person was banned from using those words.

Then using the ignorant hype and outrage caused over this false story, you demand that global warming be acknowledged as settled science.

What changes if the Florida government comes out tomorrow stating that global warming is 100% settled science?
edit on 9-3-2015 by c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Florida is full of corruption. There is more going on with climate change talk down here.
Just recently, the insurance companies colluded with fema and moved around the flood maps.

There was a massive sell-off of waterfront properties out of panic. Homeowners with mortgage were looking at mandatory insurance premiums that for some, went from $1000 to $20,000 a year!!

I invest in Fl real estate and lucked out with my purchase.

When you get politicians paid off by Insurance companies, theses are the tactic they use.

The gov put a temp hold to the change, because it destroys the little recovery they have seen in the market, but I haven't reviewed the maps or policy recently, and will do so before my next purchase.

Follow the money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join